All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy06

You have to laugh!
If the RTE and GAA only had a brain cell between them...

You would think in this day and age they would have a bit of cop on to:
A) Not have it clash with the biggest Irish sporting event in 4 years (RTE)
B) Have it on at time that would suit the most people who would be willing to attend (GAA), any pleb doing up a bit of statistics in either building could see this is either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Another 2 fingers to Laois gaa. Its not just the supporters. What about the players?
They want to see their country play at such a huge sporting event. It could be 20
years before we get back to one again.
The stadium will be empty. How is that fair to the team.
If it was on at 7pm or Sunday 3 pm it would pull a good crowd.
A lot of Laois supporters who havent been out to see them this year would come out
after their brave 2nd half performance against Dublin..
Any wonder people are getting more and more disillusioned ..

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Andy06 on June 08, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
You have to laugh!
If the RTE and GAA only had a brain cell between them...

You would think in this day and age they would have a bit of cop on to:
A) Not have it clash with the biggest Irish sporting event in 4 years (RTE)
B) Have it on at time that would suit the most people who would be willing to attend (GAA), any pleb doing up a bit of statistics in either building could see this is either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

The gaa have signed a contract with television companies who get their first choice of games. They want this one. So with that in mind when do you propose playing the game?

At 7 pm Mayo play Galway on sky in the semi final so no clash can be made with that. You've suggested Sunday afternoon but that would clash with other gaa games on tv and Armagh minors play in Clones so Armagh won't agree to play that day. 5pm Saturday might have been the solution. But RTE may have said no if they have another euro game at 5 and don't want sport on both channels when the news etc would normally be on.

The gaa are in a bit of no win situation on this one. Only solution is if rte allowed them to move it slightly later. Either as much as people love to shout disgrace over everything I don't think the gaa are that badly in the wrong here.

muppet

Houl' on, Houl' on! This..is...an....absolight....dusss.....gray.....assss!

Three posters on this thread have mentioned the 'Angelus' and NONE of them have the correct spelling. Hi!

Tony Fearon must be turning in his tomb.
MWWSI 2017

Giovanni

Sorry I'm missing the logic here Santa.  RTE thinks it's fine to show Laois/Armagh and an Ireland soccer match at the same time in the in the afternoon but it wouldn't agree to staging a GAA match at the same time as Iceland v Portugal or some other shit that same evening??? And the GAA thinks its fine to almost guarantee an empty stadium for its games while at the same time ensuring that noone will be watching it on telly either.

I don't happen to think that they're idiots but it's really getting hard to understand some these decisions.

smcder

i'm sure with the tv agreements the GAA don't get a say. RTE have no other time that they can show it, because of SKY's game on Saturday and RTE's games on Sunday. The only way the game could be played at another time would be if RTE didn't show it. Blame RTE i'd say not the GAA for this one.

armaghniac

Quote from: smcder on June 08, 2016, 08:47:10 PM
i'm sure with the tv agreements the GAA don't get a say. RTE have no other time that they can show it, because of SKY's game on Saturday and RTE's games on Sunday. The only way the game could be played at another time would be if RTE didn't show it. Blame RTE i'd say not the GAA for this one.

The GAA makes the TV agreements!  There is no point blaming anyone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Giovanni on June 08, 2016, 05:21:34 PM
Sorry I'm missing the logic here Santa.  RTE thinks it's fine to show Laois/Armagh and an Ireland soccer match at the same time in the in the afternoon but it wouldn't agree to staging a GAA match at the same time as Iceland v Portugal or some other shit that same evening??? And the GAA thinks its fine to almost guarantee an empty stadium for its games while at the same time ensuring that noone will be watching it on telly either.

I don't happen to think that they're idiots but it's really getting hard to understand some these decisions.

My point was that rte might be happy to show sport on both it's channels mid afternoon but may not be keen later on when the 6 news etc is on. The euro game is already fixed at 5 and they will be showing it no matter what, that means they perhaps don't want the gaa at 5.

armaghniac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 08, 2016, 10:15:39 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on June 08, 2016, 05:21:34 PM

My point was that rte might be happy to show sport on both it's channels mid afternoon but may not be keen later on when the 6 news etc is on. The euro game is already fixed at 5 and they will be showing it no matter what, that means they perhaps don't want the gaa at 5.

This isn't a strong excuse. RTE has +1 channel than doesn't open until 7 which is doing nothing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Don Draper

Armagh and Laoismen in agreement. This unsettles me greatly. Quick, someone mention Billy Sheehan.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Don Draper on June 09, 2016, 08:36:06 AM
Armagh and Laoisman in agreement. This unsettles me greatly. Quick, someone mention Billy Sheehan.

Who?

Giovanni

I assume the reason that RTE can't show the match at the same time as the Sky match is that Sky's contract required that RTE couldn't sell competing matches to rival broadcasters, right?

And speaking of money, this thing of players being poached from inter-county teams by the promise of dollars in New York is outrageous. I learned only a few weeks ago how much can be involved for the players (the really big names are paid more) and, at those rates, you couldn't blame the players. It's sickening to be honest.

Butch Cassidy

Anyone missing from training this week or is everyone on board for the qualifiers?

steven seagal

QuoteAnyone missing from training this week or is everyone on board for the qualifiers?

Evan O'Carroll gone to the States, Evan Costello dropped himself off the panel, Gary Walsh apparently had what could be deemed a 'disagreement' with management over his substitution at half time and has either left of his own accord, or been dropped, depending on who you talk to.

redsetanta

None of that surprises me. Gary doesn't do authority.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi