Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2019, 07:03:11 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2019, 10:36:17 PM
There are very few southerners looking to take on the north on this board, not surprising though.
It would need to be planned. I think it could work but that it take a few decades to do it properly. Reunification takes time.
What we do not want is a sloppy attempt that turns people off the idea for the next century.
This.  Maybe possible in a decade, but I think that if Boris gets his Brexit deal through, we'll start to see how separation from the UK would work on the ground.  We would have started to see this with Corp Tax devolution but sadly that's not likely soon. 

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2019, 08:47:11 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 12, 2019, 08:34:25 AM
There are very few southerners looking to take on the north on this board, not surprising though.

No more than yourself,ably representing the castle catholic demographic

Well you lot dropped us pretty quickly when the chance came along, I haven't seen anything to tell me that it would be straight forward and open arms
GAA matches
Plus nobody was asked in 1921
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2019, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: lfdown2 on December 12, 2019, 08:50:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2019, 05:15:53 PM

So is your food different down there? Do you exercise more? As far as I'm concerned I live on the island of Ireland, 40 miles from the border won't have any affect of my quality of life, length of life, or schooling, as in the north, its very good, plus the free health service is hard to beat.

I didn't realise you looked at Irishmen in the north differently, what about ones from Donegal? Can't get more north than that.

I seen all those coats on the Halfpenny bridge in Dublin the other day, what's that all about?

In fairness Milltown...

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/12/11/news/-warmforwinter-public-coat-donation-comes-to-belfast-1786979/

I don't come on and build up this utopia of living in the south though. I see homeless people every day in Belfast city centre, but some of the crap Seafoid, Rossfan and others put up about how poor NI is would sicken your hole.

Quality of life on this island is the same north and south, poverty is the same.

Though the above coat donation in Belfast was a follow on from the halfpenny bridge and the recent sleep out organised event at the weekend, though I'm not sure the coats were taken down like they were by the DCC
Incomes in NI are about half those in the South
It's reflected in house prices to a certain extent.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2019, 10:37:38 AM

So is your food different down there? Do you exercise more? As far as I'm concerned I live on the island of Ireland, 40 miles from the border won't have any affect of my quality of life, length of life, or schooling, as in the north, its very good, plus the free health service is hard to beat.

I didn't realise you looked at Irishmen in the north differently, what about ones from Donegal? Can't get more north than that.

I seen all those coats on the Halfpenny bridge in Dublin the other day, what's that all about?

In fairness Milltown...

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/12/11/news/-warmforwinter-public-coat-donation-comes-to-belfast-1786979/

I don't come on and build up this utopia of living in the south though. I see homeless people every day in Belfast city centre, but some of the crap Seafoid, Rossfan and others put up about how poor NI is would sicken your hole.

Quality of life on this island is the same north and south, poverty is the same.

Though the above coat donation in Belfast was a follow on from the halfpenny bridge and the recent sleep out organised event at the weekend, though I'm not sure the coats were taken down like they were by the DCC

The cost of living is slightly higher in the South but not enough to offset the higher wages.

If we'd a decent NHS and a properly funded education system I could live with the lower wages.

Milltown Row2

In fairness Milltown...

I seen a figure showing 740 euro for the south and the UK is £585
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on December 12, 2019, 10:43:05 AM

In fairness Milltown...

The cost of living is slightly higher in the South but not enough to offset the higher wages.

If we'd a decent NHS and a properly funded education system I could live with the lower wages.

No harm, but the price of stuff in the South is f**king ridiculous. "We all partied" comes to mind.
I stayed in a hotel in Dublin a few weeks ago for the weekend and no joke I could have been in New York for what I spent. But it was a very nice hotel and I did have a good time.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2019, 11:12:50 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 12, 2019, 10:43:05 AM

In fairness Milltown...

No harm, but the price of stuff in the South is f**king ridiculous. "We all partied" comes to mind.
I stayed in a hotel in Dublin a few weeks ago for the weekend and no joke I could have been in New York for what I spent. But it was a very nice hotel and I did have a good time.

It's all relative though. Coming from a border region I'd hazard a guess that a good third of residents from the border regions on the northern side choose to work in the south and then you can have the benefit of the lower living costs but with a lot higher wages. Spoke with a fellow who bought a business in Belfast recently and he said it was due to his cost base being so much lower in terms of running costs, he also said that the biggest saving was on staff wages which are about 40-50% lower than of those in the south. 

Eamonnca1

Well you lot dropped us pretty quickly when the chance came along, I haven't seen anything to tell me that it would be straight forward and open arms

Did they? That's a bit harsh. I could have sworn they felt so strongly about the treaty that they fought a civil war over it.

Rossfan

"Northern (sic) Ireland" was set up by the Brits in 1920.
The Treaty turned "Southern(sic) Ireland" into a Dominion called the Irish Free State.
Civil war was about the new State not being a Republic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2019, 11:00:42 AM

In fairness Milltown...

I seen a figure showing 740 euro for the south and the UK is £585

The North would be lower than England.
Within the South , Munster and Leinster are twice Connacht (which is pretty much on a par with NI. )
Something like 53k per annum  for Munster/Leinster  vs 27 for Connacht and maybe 30 for NI.
In a UI you would expect Ulster to perform at a higher level especially in places like Derry, hi.

There is an economics paper about it with all the data :

https://www.esri.ie/publications/the-political-economy-of-a-northern-ireland-border-poll

Hound

Quote from: Hound on December 11, 2019, 02:28:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2019, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on December 11, 2019, 01:35:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2019, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 11, 2019, 01:18:37 PM
Get a proper job!

Very well paid job, thanks very much, there was a report out recently saying Dublin is more expensive that London! good luck
Tut!

Have you not heard that the UN has just come out and said Ireland is the third best place in the world to live?

QuoteIreland has the third highest quality of life in the world, according to a new study by the United Nations.

The annual Human Development Index rankings are calculated using three categories: health, education and income.

Norway topped the list, followed by Switzerland, with UK and US taking 15th and 16th places.

Ireland has a life expectancy of 82 years, 16th of 189 countries, with the highest life expectancy coming from Hong Kong at almost 85 years old.

In terms of expected years of schooling, Ireland is ranked seventh behind Australia.

Leading the wealth category is Qatar, with a gross national income of €98,630, as Ireland ranked 12th on the list with a gross national income of €55,265. The lowest for national income is Burundi with €596.

Ireland has shown significant growth in the quality of life index, it is up from fourth place last year, while between 2012 and 2017, it jumped 13 places.

The lowest country in the quality-of-life ranking is Niger, with the bottom 10 countries coming from Africa.

Top 10:
1 Norway
2 Switzerland
3 Ireland
4 Germany
5 Hong Kong (study done pre recent events)
6 Australia
7 Iceland
8 Sweden
9 Singapore
10 Netherlands

I live in Ireland
Absolutely

Just not the "Ireland" that was assessed above. Would have been first otherwise  ;D

Did you forget to switch your brain on?

Where did I say I think Irishmen are different in the north? Or anything else you rambled about just there? Christ, that was some nonsense.

The UN put Ireland (and by Ireland THEY judged it by the 26 counties) as having the third highest quality of life in the world.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2019, 05:07:30 PM
The Treaty turned "Southern(sic) Ireland" into a Dominion called the Irish Free State.

I'm quite sure it was about partition too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 12, 2019, 04:24:54 PM

Did they? That's a bit harsh. I could have sworn they felt so strongly about the treaty that they fought a civil war over it.

How did that go? Has it been sorted yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 12, 2019, 06:58:31 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2019, 05:07:30 PM

I'm quite sure it was about partition too.
Not really. Most felt that partition was a temporary thingy and anyways a Boundary Commission would give Derry City, most of Tyrone and Fermanagh plus South Arnagh and South Down to the Free State.
Rory O'Connor, Dev, Brugha etc were opposed to the Treaty because the new State wasnt a Republic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

The only good thing about a tory majority is the end of the Union.