Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Galway, Monaghan & Tyrone all have 7 players nominated.

Only one Tyrone forward though, fairly sums up where their issues are.

Hound

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 12, 2018, 10:31:43 AM

Actually 2 Tyrone forwards there, but one of them nominated in defence because he likes number 7!

I would have had McBrearty in my nomination list, despite missing a crucial part of the season.

Didn't think Doyle was the best Kildare defender on show this year. Maybe I didn't see enough of them, but I would have chosen Peter Kelly.

Pity there's not a 16th award for All Star Super Sub of the Year  ;D
Although maybe I'm only saying that because Kev Mac would have won it 4 or 5 times since 2011! 

Rossfan

Has this nonsense not been abolished yet?
I suppose we didn't get any in the defence?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: timmyot501 on September 12, 2018, 08:04:00 AM
All star nominations out this morning

Goalkeepers: Graham Brody (Laois), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders: Ryan Wylie (Monaghan), Drew Wylie (Monaghan), Karl O'Connell (Monaghan), Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Eoin Murchan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), James McCarthy (Dublin), Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Galway), Seán Kelly (Galway), Eoin Kerin (Galway), Eoin Doyle (Kildare), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone), Michael McKernan (Tyrone), Gavin White (Kerry), Che Cullen (Fermanagh), Eoghan Bán Gallagher (Donegal).

Midfielders: Brian Fenton (Dublin), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Niall Kearns (Monaghan), Thomas Flynn (Galway).

Forwards: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Paul Mannion (Dublin), Brian Howard (Dublin), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Con O'Callaghan (Dublin), Dean Rock (Dublin), Niall Scully (Dublin), Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Paul Broderick (Carlow), Rory Grugan (Armagh), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Ryan McAnespie (Monaghan), Ian Burke (Galway), Shane Walsh (Galway), Damien Comer (Galway), David Clifford (Kerry), Paul Cribbin (Kildare), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).

Well done to Rory Grugan. Its a long time since no Mayo man was on the nomination list.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 12, 2018, 10:31:43 AM

Only Conor McManus scored more than Connor McAliskey this summer and he scored more from play than McManus. Very odd he's not nominated.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

There is nothing odd about any of this. Its a pile of shite and its always been a pile of shite. There is no relationship between the best players and who is nominated. The AI winner has to get 10 and 2nd has to get a few. Then throw in an odd one just to make it look like every county has been considered.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hound on September 12, 2018, 01:10:16 PM
Didn't think Doyle was the best Kildare defender on show this year. Maybe I didn't see enough of them, but I would have chosen Peter Kelly.

I would have said Kevin Flynn but he's probably not a big enough 'name' yet. On Peter Kelly, it's long odds on that he will remain the only current player in Leinster outside of Dublin with an All Star to his name.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

J70

Shame McBrearty got injured.

Aside from how his absence affected the Donegal team, with the form he was in he would have been a shoe-in for a nomination and would have had a good shot at winning an award.

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 12, 2018, 01:42:52 PM
Quote from: timmyot501 on September 12, 2018, 08:04:00 AM
All star nominations out this morning

Goalkeepers: Graham Brody (Laois), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders: Ryan Wylie (Monaghan), Drew Wylie (Monaghan), Karl O'Connell (Monaghan), Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Eoin Murchan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), James McCarthy (Dublin), Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Galway), Seán Kelly (Galway), Eoin Kerin (Galway), Eoin Doyle (Kildare), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone), Michael McKernan (Tyrone), Gavin White (Kerry), Che Cullen (Fermanagh), Eoghan Bán Gallagher (Donegal).

Midfielders: Brian Fenton (Dublin), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Niall Kearns (Monaghan), Thomas Flynn (Galway).

Forwards: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Paul Mannion (Dublin), Brian Howard (Dublin), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Con O'Callaghan (Dublin), Dean Rock (Dublin), Niall Scully (Dublin), Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Paul Broderick (Carlow), Rory Grugan (Armagh), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Ryan McAnespie (Monaghan), Ian Burke (Galway), Shane Walsh (Galway), Damien Comer (Galway), David Clifford (Kerry), Paul Cribbin (Kildare), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).

Well done to Rory Grugan. Its a long time since no Mayo man was on the nomination list.

Agreed. Delighted to see Grugan in there

seafoid

Beggan got the Allstar

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-all-stars-revealed-dublin-claim-seven-but-stephen-cluxton-misses-out-once-again-37480480.html

All-Ireland champions Dublin lead the way overall with seven honours after they secured a fourth consecutive All-Ireland title.
Monaghan are next on the list, with Beggan joined by Karl O'Connell and Conor McManus, who picks up his third award.

Beaten All-Ireland finalists Tyrone pick up just two awards, both in defence, through Cavanagh and Padraig Hampsey.
Donegal, Galway and Kerry complete the list, with Ryan McHugh, Ian Burke and David Clifford picking up spots in the forward division.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1031/1007851-dublin-dominate-team/

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Cluxton was screwed. Ryan McHugh and Ian Burke lucky as well. Thought Dean Rock and maybe Shane Walsh would get in

RedHand88

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 07:55:11 AM
Cluxton was screwed. Ryan McHugh and Ian Burke lucky as well. Thought Dean Rock and maybe Shane Walsh would get in

Cluxton had a few ropey moments. Beggan, barring his brain fart at the end of the semi final had a flawless year.

seafoid

Monaghan got more than Tyrone which says a lot about where Tyrone really are at the moment in the eyes of the selection group
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 08:08:35 AM
Monaghan got more than Tyrone which says a lot about where Tyrone really are at the moment in the eyes of the selection group

I'm sure they're gutted.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 08:08:35 AM

Meh. Beat Donegal comfortably on their own pitch and got past monaghan on an off day. Wouldn't fear any of them next year.