Best Concert ever

Started by heganboy, September 14, 2016, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 10, 2017, 08:24:54 AM
Quote from: Orior on June 09, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
My best concert ever was Andre Rieu, in Belfast last year.

Attending one of his concerts later in the year...what made it great for you?

You will recognise everything he plays. He tells a story with every thing he conducts and there is some humour thrown in.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5 Sams

A lot people raving about Coldplay at HQ last night.....not my cup of tea...roll on U2 and Bonio ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

straightred

springsteen in slane 1985 (yes - i'm old)

A few U2 gigs would be a close 2nd but this gig always stands out for me

red hander

Neil Young in the Odyssey last year was pretty awesome

ziggy90

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers + Stevie Nicks in Hyde Park yesterday. Rockin'.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

lurganblue

Quote from: Orior on June 10, 2017, 07:45:52 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 10, 2017, 08:24:54 AM
Quote from: Orior on June 09, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
My best concert ever was Andre Rieu, in Belfast last year.

Attending one of his concerts later in the year...what made it great for you?

You will recognise everything he plays. He tells a story with every thing he conducts and there is some humour thrown in.

Went to one of his concerts.  Sound a bit like Tony here but i went because I got free tickets (daughter was singing in the choir on stage for a song or two)... I wasnt really expecting much but came away thinking what a cracking show it was. Would def go again.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: stew on June 09, 2017, 08:25:13 AM
George Thoroghgood and the Delaware Destroyers in their home town, absolutely brilliant altogether.

Most disappointing, one of my favourites, the Rolling Stones in Slane back in the day, they were pure dung.

You sir have great taste, seen them myself many years ago
Also "john spencer blues explosion " where brilliant live
Iggy pop in his younger days was good
More corny but still good Dr Feelgood
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Dinny Breen

Bowie in the Point and Arcade Fire in the tent at EP. Shout out to No Sweat at the Derby Festival in Kildare in 89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RxysQ43yU
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Martin Stephenson and the Daintees - Barry's Tudor Rooms, May 1988.  Just brilliant. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

If I was to pick out one best ever concert above the rest then it's the Bothy Band's first ever concert in the mid '70s at Trinity exam hall. Nobody knew what was coming but there was a feeling of something very special in the air.

Syferus

Not the best concert ever, but as someone who grew up listening to the Chili Peppers finally getting to see them live last night lived up to expectations.

Kiedis is 54 now..! Still such great energy in the band and Josh Klinghoffer is about as good a guitarist and you could hope for to replace a generational talent like Frusciante. You could tell the average age of the crowd by which songs they reacted the most to - Suck My Kiss and Give It Away paled in comparison to Californication and By the Way, whereas 12-13 years ago it would have been the Blood Sex Sugar Magik tracks bringing the house down. About the only disppointment was they didn't play Can't Stop or Under the Bridge, though you can be sure they will tonight.

Puckoon

I'm glad RHCP fans still get to hear them. JK Is a good player but it's good that the band are nearing the end rather than growing the music - Id rather lep in the DeLorean and hear them with Dave Navarro (woefully under rated album and time with the RHCP - he was hung out to dry by their addictions and inability to deal with Fruiscante's first hiatus).

12-13 years ago was the hayday of Californication and BTW, by the way - it wasn't a BSSM fest at their shows back then. Those albums are 18 and 16 years old respectively (I rounded up). BSSM is almost 25 years old, fooking hell!

Unfortunately JK is really just there for continuity of the Fruiscante sound - even their decent new songs just have that Fruiscante feel on the guitar sections. Nothing wrong with that - it's just safe. Not an approach the Chilli Peppers made their name with!

Syferus

Quote from: Puckoon on September 21, 2017, 02:06:07 PM
I'm glad RHCP fans still get to hear them. JK Is a good player but it's good that the band are nearing the end rather than growing the music - Id rather lep in the DeLorean and hear them with Dave Navarro (woefully under rated album and time with the RHCP - he was hung out to dry by their addictions and inability to deal with Fruiscante's first hiatus).

12-13 years ago was the hayday of Californication and BTW, by the way - it wasn't a BSSM fest at their shows back then. Those albums are 18 and 16 years old respectively (I rounded up). BSSM is almost 25 years old, fooking hell!

Unfortunately JK is really just there for continuity of the Fruiscante sound - even their decent new songs just have that Fruiscante feel on the guitar sections. Nothing wrong with that - it's just safe. Not an approach the Chilli Peppers made their name with!

The Getaway is a good album to be honest, and the reaction for Dark Necessities was better than for Suck My Kiss. Klinghoffer has apprenticed with RHCP for a very long  time - he was writing songs with Frusciante as far back as his 2004 solo album Shadows Collide with People. Klinghoffer would have been 22-23 at that time.

The reason he sounds similar is as much a product of his musical education as it is any kind of attempt to replace like for like. It should be remembered how young Frusciante was when he joined, and indeed a big part of why he got the job was he had learnt the Peppers' back catalogue off by heart and was a sort of super fan. Klinghoffer is certainly far better than Dave Navarro, who warped RHCP into a sort of generic alt rock band. It's the funk, melody and energy that makes them special and Klinghoffer fits that perfectly.

manfromdelmonte

James Brown back in 2001

the man was a peformer

Puckoon

Popular response, but Dave Navarro didn't warp (nice use of the word) them, he was at best 1/4 of the band. One Hot Minute was anything but generic, and the sound shift was heavily due to Keidis' relapses. Still one of my favourite albums.

I don't think we can say one is a better player than the other - I agree JK is a better fit for the RHCP, but original he ain't.

Suck my Kiss and Give it Away, while two of the most popular songs, wouldn't be considered 2 of the best - except for nostalgia and impact purposes.

Good Times though.