Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Taylor on September 16, 2019, 08:18:54 AM
Have to say it was pretty 'meh' on RTE at half time. In fact would go so far as to say it was boring.
Recorded the game on Sky and it was much more informative at half time.

On the Saturday Night Game (or whatever to feck it was called) the lads were all in front of a big screen a la Sky however it was still far behind Canavan in terms of info and quality

Agreed.

Anyone who repeats the mantra of Sky coverage being dull is someone who doesn't watch it.
Canavan and Donaghy are both very good, interesting and deliver their messages well. And yer man Carney, who used to be awful, has actually become a good middleman. Very quick to pull them up on incorrect predictions and has the craic with them. It took him a long time to become relaxed in front of the camera, but now he's managed it.

Rochford has his place on panels, but needs more studio experience to get better. Not a good replacement for Brolly for AI final. They should have brought in someone with more personality. Maybe they should have gone with T O'Se and O'Rourke, and leave Spillane and Rochford for the evening.

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on September 16, 2019, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on September 16, 2019, 08:18:54 AM
Have to say it was pretty 'meh' on RTE at half time. In fact would go so far as to say it was boring.
Recorded the game on Sky and it was much more informative at half time.

On the Saturday Night Game (or whatever to feck it was called) the lads were all in front of a big screen a la Sky however it was still far behind Canavan in terms of info and quality

Agreed.

Anyone who repeats the mantra of Sky coverage being dull is someone who doesn't watch it.
Canavan and Donaghy are both very good, interesting and deliver their messages well. And yer man Carney, who used to be awful, has actually become a good middleman. Very quick to pull them up on incorrect predictions and has the craic with them. It took him a long time to become relaxed in front of the camera, but now he's managed it.

Rochford has his place on panels, but needs more studio experience to get better. Not a good replacement for Brolly for AI final. They should have brought in someone with more personality. Maybe they should have gone with T O'Se and O'Rourke, and leave Spillane and Rochford for the evening.

Tomas is the best RTE have on the books at the moment.
McConville doesnt get much time in front of the cameras but plenty of time on the radio. His insight is always very good I find.
The Gooch is decent as well

Maiden1

I think a bit like Al Capone they were looking to pin something on him and decided on critisising David Gough in the end.

Most people put the kettle on, go to the bathroom etc as soon as the half time whistle goes then maybe tune back in again 5 minutes before the match starts again but when Joe is on it becomes a bit like the Jerry Springer show, basically he says something outrageous and the hypothetical audience boo e.g. Sean Cavanagh is not a man, really could have been that sort of cynical foul which cost Monaghan the game should have a greater punishment than a yellow card.  I don't think the Sunday Game needs the hyperbole.  If they could put 1 of these electric shock things on him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hOOGWLshtE he would be grand.  A gentle shock to the arm when it looks like he about to talk over someone half way through their point.  One to the b@llocks when he has taken his 100th dig at Mickey Harte during half time of the Sligo Leitrim match.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Orior

1) Criticising a referee should not be allowed by pundits. It just encourages the stupid on the football field to have a go too (especially junior level). It is okay to say that in their opinion a ref got a decision wrong (they're human), but that should be the end of it.f

2) It's a sad day when the mob decide that a pundit is no longer required

3) It's an even sadder day when pundits tell you what you just saw, are dull as dishwater and side step controversy 

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

6th sam

Joe brolly's work re organ donation is outstanding and his high profile and controversial persona has been an important factor in this.
There are elements of his personality and behaviour which are extremely interesting to watch and analyse.
He's extremely articulate and his day job equips him to put across any argument well, but
As an up to date, cutting edge analyst he's nowhere near the likes of Mcconville and Canavan.
He appears to lack insight, respect and humility which has apparently led to an uncomfortable working relationship with Joanne Cantwell. Rte have perhaps taken the view that it would be much easier to replace Brolly than Cantwell. His previous comments re Sky's Rachel and attitude towards Joanne have no doubt spooked RTE. Ridiculing the likes of Cavanagh ,  Mayo, McIvor , Gough ( the list goes on) caused genuine upset and presumably RTE had enough of him using his media profile to make personalised comments about amateur sportspeople -and he was warned before.
I would wish him well in all the good work he does but I won't miss his analysis , disrespectful behaviour and hurtful comments.

Halfquarter

Quote from: 6th sam on September 16, 2019, 05:15:59 PM
Joe brolly's work re organ donation is outstanding and his high profile and controversial persona has been an important factor in this.
There are elements of his personality and behaviour which are extremely interesting to watch and analyse.
He's extremely articulate and his day job equips him to put across any argument well, but
As an up to date, cutting edge analyst he's nowhere near the likes of Mcconville and Canavan.
He appears to lack insight, respect and humility which has apparently led to an uncomfortable working relationship with Joanne Cantwell. Rte have perhaps taken the view that it would be much easier to replace Brolly than Cantwell. His previous comments re Sky's Rachel and attitude towards Joanne have no doubt spooked RTE. Ridiculing the likes of Cavanagh ,  Mayo, McIvor , Gough ( the list goes on) caused genuine upset and presumably RTE had enough of him using his media profile to make personalised comments about amateur sportspeople -and he was warned before.
I would wish him well in all the good work he does but I won't miss his analysis , disrespectful behaviour and hurtful comments.

Why would you miss his hurtful comments ??

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on September 16, 2019, 02:01:07 PM
1) Criticising a referee should not be allowed by pundits. It just encourages the stupid on the football field to have a go too (especially junior level). It is okay to say that in their opinion a ref got a decision wrong (they're human), but that should be the end of it.f

3) It's an even sadder day when pundits tell you what you just saw, are dull as dishwater and side step controversy

"Who do you want to believe? Me or your own eyes? " Groucho Marx
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: Orior on September 16, 2019, 02:01:07 PM

In Brolly's case he decided his own fate. Read back on my post from page 340 of this thread.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyCake

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 01:11:55 PM
Its fair to say Brolly was missed over the weekend then. Sad times ahead by the looks of things #JusticeForBrolly

He certainly wasn't missed in our house! Any time Brolly was there, the sound would have more often than not, been muted.

BennyCake

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 02:35:42 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2019, 01:28:09 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 01:11:55 PM
Its fair to say Brolly was missed over the weekend then. Sad times ahead by the looks of things #JusticeForBrolly

He certainly wasn't missed in our house! Any time Brolly was there, the sound would have more often than not, been muted.

That tells me more about you than it does about Joe Brolly.
You are the weakest link. Goodbye

Judging by comments on here, the majority are glad to see the back of Brolly, as he's made TSG unbearable in recent years. So it's not just me.

BennyHarp

Should we just delete this thread now that Joe is no longer relevant?
That was never a square ball!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 17, 2019, 09:00:18 PM

Absolutely.

Silver hill

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 17, 2019, 09:00:18 PM

Pathetic! Grow up and wise up. His crime; to give an actual opinion on something? Come on lads. Let it go.

Taylor

Would Sky consider taking him onboard if he toned it down a bit?

Will it ever end

Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2019, 07:26:46 AM
Would Sky consider taking him onboard if he toned it down a bit?

I would have thought given his stance on Sky coverage, going to work for them would be a major slight on his integrity.