Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Portlaoise Kid, notwithstanding the club's current successful run in the county, what is your assessment of the numbers playing GAA games in Portlaoise? Do you think more needs to be done to get more playing the game in the town? Is the Portlaoise club doing enough? Would the idea of a second club in the town be resisted by Portlaoise?

High Fielder

I think we know it would. I'd be shocked if PK said otherwise. Portlaoise can't maximise what they have, because whilst they are numerically rich, financially they are poor. Their Intermediates are run like a Junior B team, which is just shocking. And the attitude from within seems to reflect that. So whilst a lot of us would be expecting Portlaoise to be capable of having a good second team, the reality is that it never looks like happening. You could sit down and draw up a list of lads who have just fallen by the wayside in Portlaoise. Good footballers. Certainly good enough that if they were in a rural club they'd be under pressure to perform. There is no pressure on them in Portlaoise, unless they create their own.

Portlaoise seem happy enough with the situation. They know that at the heart of the club, it is a core of people keeping the thing going. They know that they are financially constrained and that this puts limitations on them. I think some of us look at Portlaoise as being this huge club with infinite resources, I think the realty doesm't bear that out at all

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on October 05, 2018, 09:12:20 AM
Would it be the norm for a GAA club to contribute to a school pitch?

The application for funding is with the leinster council and HQ at the minute.

It would be a brilliant resource if it happens.

No more weather delayed games for starters

Toomanygaels

I hear Portlaoise/Bruno are appealing the sending off tonight. I presume our county board will do as they normally do and let the player off.

Don Draper

Quote from: Toomanygaels on October 05, 2018, 06:15:32 PM
I hear Portlaoise/Bruno are appealing the sending off tonight. I presume our county board will do as they normally do and let the player off.
He did f**k all wrong, he's dead right to appeal

Laoiseabu

The question is ... will the red card be overturned ?

Keyser Söze

In fairness there is no great history of letting players off!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on October 05, 2018, 09:51:04 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 05, 2018, 08:31:05 PM

I forgot striking a player in the back of the head was allowed in Laois 🙈 but it's Bruno so let him play. Nothing to see here lads
Merely a shaking off of his opponent who had fouled him. Lads need to toughen up a wee bit.

Toomanygaels

Going on our county boards previous history, he is certain to get off. I think county players or former county players in Laois have something like a 90% chance of getting off on appeal.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Toomanygaels on October 05, 2018, 10:05:50 PM
Going on our county boards previous history, he is certain to get off. I think county players or former county players in Laois have something like a 90% chance of getting off on appeal.

Examples?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Toomanygaels on October 05, 2018, 10:05:50 PM
Aye cos Bruno has gotten well taken care of by the County Board in the past, eh? Eh?

Toomanygaels

Ha ha. That's the first time I have heard a punch (with closed fist) to the side of the head called shaking off an opponent.
I wasnt like it was a rash decision by Maurice Deegan, he took plenty of time to make his decision. It looked like he was trying his best not to get him sent off. He went to 2 umpires and 2 linesmen over it. It's not wonder our county is struggling for referees.

Quote from: Don Draper on October 05, 2018, 10:01:35 PM

I forgot striking a player in the back of the head was allowed in Laois 🙈 but it's Bruno so let him play. Nothing to see here lads
Merely a shaking off of his opponent who had fouled him. Lads need to toughen up a wee bit.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Chrimtain on October 05, 2018, 11:33:34 AM
Portlaoise Kid, notwithstanding the club's current successful run in the county, what is your assessment of the numbers playing GAA games in Portlaoise? Do you think more needs to be done to get more playing the game in the town? Is the Portlaoise club doing enough? Would the idea of a second club in the town be resisted by Portlaoise?
First and foremost of course we would be against splitting our club in two. Portlaoise as a club is just as passionate and entitled to exist as a single entity as any club. We may be a big town but that is not reflected in our club numbers. But make no mistake we are as passionate as any club.

The potential playing numbers in Portlaoise are are great but it's a competitive market place in town , their are lads in town who play other sports or none at all and couldn't give a shite about gaa and never will. I'm not sure any amount of money could gets enough gdas to break this market.

I do believe we do an excellent job of getting lads through to senior and I firmly believe every lad gets the chance to maximise their talent and become senior players. High fielder made some decent points but one I would disagree with is the point that players go by the wayside needlessly,I believe  its firmly on the players shoulder if they are good enough they get a chance. Lads in portlaoise only want to play senior, there is zero appetite for intermediate so when a player finds themselves there they either play and excel or wilt, most wilt because they are  not good enough and just play another sport in town but those who are good enough will come through. That's harsh but true.

We need to remember portlaoise first team provides laois players not the intermediates. The better Portlaoise are the stronger laois are in both football and hurling

Don Draper

Quote from: Toomanygaels on October 05, 2018, 11:03:09 PM
Ha ha. That's the first time I have heard a punch (with closed fist) to the side of the head called shaking off an opponent.
I wasnt like it was a rash decision by Maurice Deegan, he took plenty of time to make his decision. It looked like he was trying his best not to get him sent off. He went to 2 umpires and 2 linesmen over it. It's not wonder our county is struggling for referees.

Quote from: Don Draper on October 05, 2018, 10:01:35 PM

Our county is struggling for referees because certain clubs won't bother their holes supply referees to our games.

Our county is struggling for referees because certain clubs make no effort to ensure their players and supporters respect referees.

I'm no fan of Portlaoise, but they're not one of the aforementioned clubs.