Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

uladh you`re prob not far off the mark with clarke and mallon, but I think they will start on the subs bench against donegal :o

Candyman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 09, 2007, 03:41:50 PM
I was just saying...for a big man, & to be out for such a time, I thought he was looking in decent shape! - you would expect him to put on weight etc. Fair play to him, he's been looking after himself!
Have to say I wouldn't risk either of them.

What would be the ideal way to get them 'match fit'? Would you suggest a challenge game, some club football??

:D :D :D

aodhruadh

2 More options for Donegal this summer...

Two familiar faces were back in training with the Donegal football panel last night in the shape of Stephen McDermott and Niall McCready. The squad went through their paces in Ballybofey fresh from a weekend break in Castlebar.

Aodh Ruadh's Niall McCready hasn't played under the new regime since Brian McIver took charge in the Autumn of 2005.

He has been in good form for his club Aodh Ruadh and registered a crucial goal from wing half-forward in the Ballyshannon men's club championship win over Ardara ten days ago.

McCready has played most of his county football at corner-back since bursting onto the scene in the mid-nineties.

Meanwhile, Stephen McDermott chipped in with 1-2 for Glenfin in their bank holiday defeat to Killybegs in Fintra and appears to have shaken off a long-running back injury. The midfielder was a peripheral figure for most of 2006 before having to opt-out of the panel this year.

Donegal manager, Brian McIver did emphasise that his core panel of players remains the same for the time being and that the two players are being added to the panel for training purposes and assesment.

J70

Apparently Devenney is going to be back in full training next week! Stomach muscle injury not as bad as initially feared.

Good news, although Enda McNulty has generally done a good job on him in the past.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Would be fantastic if Devenney was back for the Armagh match, but would it not be too soon, should we not save him until the Tyrone match!   ;)
Tbc....

Hank Everlast

Did armagh have a challange match with meath yesterday? did everyone make it thru unscathed!?

Goats Do Shave

They definately played Meath in Meath.

Didn't hear of any injuries or team line outs. - Maybe post on a Meath thread - Hardy??

naka

armagh beat meath 2.12 to 1.12, oisin and stevie scored goals

Louis the Red

Clarke will take no part in the game. He won't even be togged out. He didn't even travel to the game yesterday.  He's a few weeks off full fitness yet.

Rois

Clarke, Mallon and McGrane were training in Cherryvale in Belfast on Saturday morning, looked like a couple of physios/trainers with them.  It must have been fitness they were working on as they had to borrow a ball of ours so weren't prepared for ball work.   

Hank Everlast

so by the sounds of it they may not be too far away from coming back into the team??

illdecide

B Mallon and Clarke are def out, A Mallon is only 50/50 and from what i hear they are not going to risk him. Marsden has tweaked a hamstring and should be fit to play against Donegal but could not be in the best shape as he could not play against Meath yesterday!! the full back line for Armagh yesterday was Moriarity, McNulty and that Granemore lad (can't remember his name, it is monday afterall)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bensars

Quote from: Hank Everlast on May 14, 2007, 01:22:17 PM
so by the sounds of it they may not be too far away from coming back into the team??

Theres a long way from a light jog and tentitive kick about to the intensity of clones !  ( sorry Ballybofey )

I was looking forward to see a fully fit clarke this year, as hes had his fair share of injuries for his age. Think its not
an understatement , for Armagh to progress they need clark alongside stevie mc

J70

Devenney's looking very doubtful too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6653895.stm

Devenney pessimistic over fitness

Donegal forward Brendan Devenney is pessimistic about his chances of starting in Sunday week's Ulster SFC clash against holders Armagh.

Devenney told BBC Sport that his stomach muscle injury is proving "quite slow to heal".

The injury may not take three months to heal as had been feared but Devenney is still facing a major battle to be fit for the Ballybofey clash.

"I'm just on a prayer at this stage," added the Donegal forward.

"I'm just resting it up at the moment and to have any hope of being involved against Armagh, I'm going to have to try it out in training by the end of this week.

"It's coming along quite slowly as there is also the fact that I haven't basically trained with the squad for five weeks because of the previous knee injury that I had.

"The healing process is quite slow in that part of the body."

Devenney had a scan on the injury a fortnight ago but he was told that the tear was barely visible because of its depth.

"It's not something that I will be able to take a chance on. It will be need to be 100 per cent."

Devenney suffered the injury while undertaking place-kicking practice prior to the National League semi-final win over Kildare.

He started the National League final win over Mayo but had to be substituted before half-time.

armaghniac

I think either team would be losing the plot if they play semi-injured players. The real action will be in July and you should keep your powder dry until then. Donegal might put some emphasis on beating Armagh, but I'd say the Armagh management are planning to have Clarke play some role and the likes of Marsden being match fit in July, rather than the 6 weeks earlier.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B