State of Minds last night - Linfield fans visit Clones

Started by T Fearon, June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 01:04:24 PM
Thought as much Donagh! A massive victory for tolerance for the Northern Irish Nationalist community once again.

The only downside was the BBC drawing a parallell between a cultural and sporting organisation like the GAA and a sectarian extremist quasi political-paramilitary organisation like the OO, >:(

Jesus Tony , your doing the job for "them" with shite like that.

Good to see that neither was EXCLUDED from the match or the field post march, despite any issues either party may of had with rules,constitutions etc. There was no oath of alligience to Mary Mac at the turnstyles, and no automated fenian detector at the entrance to the field.
Its Grim up North

SammyG

Thought as much Donagh! A massive victory for tolerance for the Northern Irish Nationalist community once again.
Err they went to Clones, they weren't in NI.

ziggysego

Quote from: SammyG on June 21, 2007, 01:20:10 PM
Err they went to Clones, they weren't in NI.

Derry was playing ;)

That said, Tony's talking nonsense.
Testing Accessibility

SammyG

Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 21, 2007, 01:18:37 PMGood to see that neither was EXCLUDED from the match or the field post march, despite any issues either party may of had with rules,constitutions etc. There was no oath of alligience to Mary Mac at the turnstyles, and no automated fenian detector at the entrance to the field.
Why would anyone be excluded from attending a GAA match in Clones? You seem to be mixing up the idea of being a spectator and a member, two totally different things. Also as has already been said, I doubt the reception would have been quite as pleasent if they'd turned up at Casement.

As far as the OO, the same would apply, most people would be excluded from joining but nobody is excluded from going along to see a parade, if they fancy it.

T Fearon

I don't think I'm talking nonsense. Having attended many games at Windsor Park in the past,I would not have been in any way comfortable in disclosing my identity to a stranger who was sitting or standing beside me and at an Orange Parade I wouldn't even consider it.

Yet these two lads did, were happy to do so, even happy to disclose that they were Linfield fans, to a complete stranger,so it speaks volumes about perceptions and tolerance levels between the two communities.

Of course it shouldn't matter what religion you are or what soccer team you support at any public event

Star Spangler

What worries me about this whole thing is the fact that they were treating the Orange Order and the GAA has being of similar extremes.  :o

ziggysego

Quote from: SammyG on June 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 21, 2007, 01:18:37 PMGood to see that neither was EXCLUDED from the match or the field post march, despite any issues either party may of had with rules,constitutions etc. There was no oath of alligience to Mary Mac at the turnstyles, and no automated fenian detector at the entrance to the field.
Why would anyone be excluded from attending a GAA match in Clones? You seem to be mixing up the idea of being a spectator and a member, two totally different things. Also as has already been said, I doubt the reception would have been quite as pleasent if they'd turned up at Casement.

As far as the OO, the same would apply, most people would be excluded from joining but nobody is excluded from going along to see a parade, if they fancy it.

SammyG.... let it go. An Fear Rua was referring to sterotypes that certain people have about the "otherside". The BBC show has discredited that notion.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: Star Spangler on June 21, 2007, 01:26:25 PM
What worries me about this whole thing is the fact that they were treating the Orange Order and the GAA has being of similar extremes.  :o

The way I see it is, there are elements within the Unionist community which believe the GAA is an extremist organisation, propped up by Republicans. (Not all, but a vocal minority) This programme showed that this is not the case.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Sammy

If Derry were playing Donegal at Casement or at Clones it would be exactly the same crowd in attendance, more or less, so the venue is irrelevant

Also didn't Bob Stoker a Unionist councillor from Sandy Row attend a game at Casement when he was Lord Mayor of Belfast, and happily posed for pictures and the last time I checked he still had his head on his shoulders

SammyG

I think they were treating the two events as similar rather than the details of the two organisations.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: ziggysego on June 21, 2007, 01:28:54 PM

The way I see it is, there are elements within the Unionist community which believe the GAA is an extremist organisation, propped up by Republicans. (Not all, but a vocal minority) This programme showed that this is not the case.

They shouldn't worry about the GAA fraternity, for the vast majority of GAA fans the GAA is a sporting not a political organisation. I saw that programme alright last night, didn't bother answering the questions mind as I don't know enough about N.I. & if I where to answer based on my experience as a Southerner nearly all Catholics & Protestants are Nationalist & consider themselves Irish (based on experience of growing up in the Republic).

Personaly I would have felt very uncomfortable @ an Orange Order march in Belfast, maybe they should have brought them to one of the marchs in Donegal, where I saw on the news one year a Garda walking ahead of it & people in Donegal GAA jersies eating icecream watching it go by.

GweylTah

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 21, 2007, 12:51:03 PMWhen prods and catholics are buggering each other at an orange order parade its plain to see times have changed  ;)

No, but others at the Field said Derry, too.

The two Linfield supporters didn't divulge their religion, either.  Why should they?

It was telling, though, that the exclusivity of both events were put on a par: the Twelfth, and a GAA match.  

Northern Ireland matches and Ulster rugby matches would, of course, be more mixed affairs both on and off the pitch - three cheers for that.

:D

An Fear Rua

Quote from: SammyG on June 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM
[Why would anyone be excluded from attending a GAA match in Clones? You seem to be mixing up the idea of being a spectator and a member, two totally different things.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its Grim up North

magpie seanie

Quotepeople in Donegal GAA jersies eating icecream watching it go by.

Eating ice cream. The durty hoors.

his holiness nb

Quote from: GweylTah on June 21, 2007, 01:40:00 PM
The two Linfield supporters didn't divulge their religion, either.  Why should they?

Its hardly rocket science having announced they were Linfield fans  ;)

It was telling, though, that the exclusivity of both events were put on a par: the Twelfth, and a GAA match.  

Can you elaborate on that comment?

Northern Ireland matches and Ulster rugby matches would, of course, be more mixed affairs both on and off the pitch - three cheers for that.

:D

Yep its a real 50/50 split alright  ::)

Ask me holy bollix