Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uimhr ocht

The true colours of alliance neutrality would come if there was a border poll they claim to be remainers so would they campaign to stay in eu as part of an all ireland?

playwiththewind1st

What was the crack with Claire Hanna standing beside her SDLP hubby for a pic, when he got re-elected? Can she not make up her mind whether she's in or out?

smelmoth

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 05, 2019, 08:43:36 PM
What was the crack with Claire Hanna standing beside her SDLP hubby for a pic, when he got re-elected? Can she not make up her mind whether she's in or out?
Claire decided she quite liked her husband and wanted to support him. I'm with you on this. It's hugely controversial

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 05, 2019, 08:33:28 PM
My transfer will be going to alliance now I think after the antics of the sdlp ones in ballymena when SFs Patrice hardy was eliminated. Plus I really believe Naomi will outpoll Colm and thus has a better chance of getting the 3rd seat.
[/quote.]

Who is your first preference for and why?

Rossfan

Quote from: uimhr ocht on May 05, 2019, 08:41:00 PM
The true colours of alliance neutrality would come if there was a border poll they claim to be remainers so would they campaign to stay in eu as part of an all ireland?
I'd imagine they'd take no position on it and would let their members vote as they see fit.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smelmoth

Some Alliance members would vote for the Union. Some would vote for UI. Likewise some voters will vote for the Union and some for UI. It will confuse only the simplest of minds

Owen Brannigan

Claire Hanna is still an SDLP member and campaigned in the local elections for SDLP candidates.  She resigned from her spokesperson role but did not quit as an SDLP MLA.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: smelmoth on May 05, 2019, 09:13:13 PM

Some Alliance members would vote for the Union. Some would vote for UI. Likewise some voters will vote for the Union and some for UI. It will confuse only the simplest of minds

In the same way that some SF and SDLP members and voters will vote for a UI and some will not even though both parties have policies to have a UI.

charlieTully

Is Naomi a good ride?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 05, 2019, 09:24:36 PM

Claire Hanna is still an SDLP member and campaigned in the local elections for SDLP candidates.  She resigned from her spokesperson role but did not quit as an SDLP MLA.

Doesn't attend party group meetings - is that not the case? So it's up for debate as to exactly what her status is. Looks like she resigned from the Assembly Group,  but remains an ordinary party member. Confusing to say the least.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 05, 2019, 09:30:42 PM

In the same way that some SF and SDLP members and voters will vote for a UI and some will not even though both parties have policies to have a UI.

Same as FF and FG voters down here even though both espouse the unity of Ireland somewhere in their officialdom.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

smelmoth

Quote from: hardstation on May 05, 2019, 10:04:13 PM

Spare us the sanctimony. It doesn't help you.

Sanctimony? I merely react to the "true colours" comment and this idiocy that it is constitutional position first and good governance and the people second

And then look at Charlietully's post. You see what we are up against?

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on May 05, 2019, 11:00:45 PM
Yes. Sanctimony has been dripping off every one of your posts.

People will vote as they like, regardless of what you reckon to be "the only way a sane person would vote".

Well said Hard Station.

People won't be lectured.  This carry on is putting me off giving Alliance a preference in Euros.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 05, 2019, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 05, 2019, 11:00:45 PM
Yes. Sanctimony has been dripping off every one of your posts.

People will vote as they like, regardless of what you reckon to be "the only way a sane person would vote".

Well said Hard Station.

People won't be lectured.  This carry on is putting me off giving Alliance a preference in Euros.

People will vote as they see fit. Nothing wrong with a discussion forum exploring the reasons for voting in a particular way.

Marty's claim that my posts would make him not transfer to Alliance is, well humorous in the extreme.

I find it extremely difficult to get SF representatives to address certain key points. On this forum it's extremely difficult to get certain posters to engage truthfully on the same points.

Say for example Marty's claim that Martina Anderson was an excellent representative and his subsequent evasion of the point. The point that Anderson's articulacy cannot be tested against Long's because Anderson is an MEP and Long isn't is staggering in its stupidity. Calling out that stupidity is not sanctimony on my part.

On another thread I challenged the false notion (peddled by SF) that a UI would be a unitary state with no power sharing in NI. Throw that one in and some posters flee. Again very similar to the official SF tactic.

Ask for evidence of SF's record of delivery in government? All goes quiet.

Why does everything have to be viewed through SF vs DUP and which one backs down to the others demands first? We don't have to have either party if the electorate move on from them. Let's get on with it. We aren't getting anything from hanging around waiting on them to grow up.

And then we have Marty's classic- make up something that I didn't say and then dismiss it as "waffle". Have you ever seen anything as stupid??

Sportacus

Naomi Long in with a shot now of the 3rd MEP seat.  I'd love to see the Council election votes broken down by age.  Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of first time voters went for Alliance, Greens etc because the old bitter divisions isn't how they want to live their lives.  Wake up call for SF - took a stance on rights - fair play, but they need to figure this one out quickly.  In many ways the DUP are the millstone round their neck, just a zero sum.  But the new talks gives them a chance to get something moving again.