Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Jason Sherlock could be Monaghan's next manager Picture: Seamus Loughran.

DOWN are on the look-out for a new manager following James McCartan's decision to step down last night after one year in charge.

In a statement, the Down County Board thanked McCartan and his backroom staff, including Aidan O'Rourke and Ronan McMahon, for their service since taking charge last November.

"James McCartan will always be regarded as an iconic figure of Down football," read the statement.

"He has given outstanding service to his county as a player and manager, and we wish him well."

The double All-Ireland winning forward stepped into the breach after county officials missed out on trying to land former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness.

Down officials will now embark on yet another managerial search.

Conor Laverty, Benny Coulter, Marty Clarke, Steven Poacher would be regarded as the new generation of coaches emerging in the county, but the big question is whether any of them would feel they'd have the tools to turn the job into a success.

Clarke and Poacher are currently managing Mayobridge, while Coulter has moved to Rostrover. There were rumours linking the latter to the Down minor post while Kilcoo's Conor Laverty, another highly-rated coach, is making gains with Down's U20s but may feel the timing is not right to step into the senior post.

The experienced Ross Carr is currently with north Belfast club Ardoyne Kickham's and it remains to be seen if the split season would tempt him back to the role he held back in the mid-to-late 'Noughties'.

McCartan's year in charge was a tumultuous one. Player departures, poor results and disciplinary issues summed up 2022 for the Down footballers, while Caolan Mooney later weighed in with some stinging criticism of the set-up.

Despite Mooney's acerbic assessment it was generally accepted McCartan taking on the job at such short notice was a generous act on his part but chances of success were always limited.

It was no surprise the Mournemen were relegated to Division Three of the National Football League before being swept aside by Monaghan in the Ulster Championship.

McCartan had threatened to walk out on the eve of the Monaghan game after some players breached an agreed curfew while on a training weekend in Dublin.

Down's season finished in a first round Tailteann Cup defeat to Cavan.

In his first spell in charge, McCartan guided his native county to the 2010 All-Ireland final and generally raised standards for the next four seasons in charge.

Since then, Jim McCorry, Eamonn Burns (RIP) and Paddy Tally have all held the post.

Down's club championship begins at the end of August.

Meanwhile, Jason Sherlock is expected to be installed as Monaghan senior football manager next week with former team-mate Kevin Nolan understood to be in line to assist him.

Monaghan officials are keen to find Seamus McEnaney's successor before the start of the club championship which gets underway next month.

Sherlock comes with tremendous pedigree having starred for the Dublin footballers and won an All-Ireland title in his first season in 1995.

After his inter-county retirement in 2013, he became later part of Jim Gavin's backroom team and was also joint manager of the Dublin minor team in 2017.

The Monaghan post is a daunting assignment for the next manager. And if Sherlock accepts the offer, he will probably have to oversee a rebuilding job.

Darren and Kieran Hughes, Karl O'Connell and Conor McManus are in the twilight of their inter-county careers but there are no indications that any of these Monaghan stalwarts are considering retirement at this stage.

Nolan, who played alongside Sherlock for the Sky Blues in the 'Noughties', has been playing his football for Monaghan club Cremartin in recent years and would know the local scene well, which would be of huge benefit to the new manager.

Meanwhile, Colm O'Rourke has taken the plunge and accepted the role of Meath senior football manager and will be assisted by former Meath footballers Stephen Bray and Barry Callaghan.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

Ohh I fully agree we need someone like Gallagher who will take no shit but there isn't many of his elk around as far as I know??.. Back to O'Neill only thing I can think for him to leave would be the travelling, I'm not sure where he is living why I would even approach him just to see if somewhere closer to home would be of interest too him.

Malachy O'Rourke is another name I wouldn't mind us going for although depends how Glen go in Derry if he'll want to change.
[/quote]

Please understand we are probably the least attractive county job out there at present. No regular training facility, an inept county board, players who would rather spoof on a podcast than put their shoulder to the wheel, players who won't commit to the county, huge player turnover in last few years - I agree with previous poster about it being a 5 year project - but that's two fold
1. People giving the management team that length of time to build and maintain a group of players
2. Players willing to put everything into the cause for this period of time with possibly little reward but in the knowledge they are leading us in the right direction again.

DuffGael

James McCartan owes Down nothing, came in late to pull the county out of a hole. It doesn't matter who we get unless the players in the county commit, if they do then the future is bright, if not then we may get used to division 3.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 26, 2022, 08:58:03 AM

Ohh I fully agree we need someone like Gallagher who will take no shit but there isn't many of his elk around as far as I know??.. Back to O'Neill only thing I can think for him to leave would be the travelling, I'm not sure where he is living why I would even approach him just to see if somewhere closer to home would be of interest too him.

Malachy O'Rourke is another name I wouldn't mind us going for although depends how Glen go in Derry if he'll want to change.
[/quote]

Please understand we are probably the least attractive county job out there at present. No regular training facility, an inept county board, players who would rather spoof on a podcast than put their shoulder to the wheel, players who won't commit to the county, huge player turnover in last few years - I agree with previous poster about it being a 5 year project - but that's two fold
1. People giving the management team that length of time to build and maintain a group of players
2. Players willing to put everything into the cause for this period of time with possibly little reward but in the knowledge they are leading us in the right direction again.
[/quote]

The county executive is trying their best and they are trying to take the county forward, let's be honest ten years ago so the country's finances were in a dire mess, and time was spent getting these correct and they are in a better position now becuase of this. It's very easy to blame a few dedicated volunteers who probably spend all their spare time sorting stuff off. I laugh when I see comments on Facebook or Twitter saying sack the county board. Yeah right as there have been loads of nominations for officers at  convention recently. Before you complain have you volunteered?

Whoever we get needs the players to respect the manager the jersey and the tradition of Down GAA. Last year the PLAYERS did not respect the jersey, if they felt the setup was not perfect then that's okay but do not disrespect the jerseys and history of this county. Spilling the beans to that clown Colm Parkinson served no purpose and it made us look like a laughing stock.

Laverty might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think he would get rid of the spoofers and get a winning culture.

rosskarr

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on July 26, 2022, 01:20:02 AM
Down boys playing well in Chicago. Barry O Hagan has scored 4  21 in 3 games the stand out player. Three kilcoo boys playing really well Ryan Johnston, Dylan Ward and Caolim Docherty. From what I can see they should be playing County.
Dont know where you heard that from.The Kilcoo ones are generally subs in the games so far in Chicago.

Truth hurts

Quote from: rosskarr on July 26, 2022, 09:56:16 AM
Down boys playing well in Chicago. Barry O Hagan has scored 4  21 in 3 games the stand out player. Three kilcoo boys playing really well Ryan Johnston, Dylan Ward and Caolim Docherty. From what I can see they should be playing County.
Dont know where you heard that from.The Kilcoo ones are generally subs in the games so far in Chicago.

What standard is that though, East Down reserve league stuff?

rosskarr

It'll be interesting to see who the Selection Panel are.The last lot failed miserably in allowing the process to go on so long.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 26, 2022, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: rosskarr on July 26, 2022, 09:56:16 AM

What standard is that though, East Down reserve league stuff?

Probably a slightly higher standard than a division 4 reserve team given the huge amount of county players playing for various teams over there, and getting paid to do so.

Mourne Red

[/quote]

[/quote]

I get what your saying - but apparently the Co Board almost talked Jim into taking the job last year so MOR should be at least approached, he's built teams before and give him the time he needs if he's interested.

johnnycool

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 26, 2022, 03:04:57 PM

horseshíte about Jim McGuinness.

He's holding out for a soccer job, preferably in Ireland, and didn't want to be the main man on the ticket and neither did Marty Clarke or Laverty.

Down CB were wasting their time on him, time to get real and go with an up and coming coach happy to take on a Div3/4 team and build from there.

toby47

I'd say the Down job is the most unappealing job in the country at the minute.

Truth hurts

Laverty and Gilligan would be great with mickey moran as an advisor to them.

I think Moran could be coaxed back into a ticket of some sort.

wobbller

Quote from: wobbller on June 08, 2022, 08:11:00 PM
Quote from: wobbller on May 13, 2022, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 12, 2022, 10:48:06 PM
Down better going with 30 players who want to play for Down and not disappear to America, Australia or drop if the panel. Derry went through 107 players in less than 10yrs, it was a joke. Down beat Derry in Newry 2yrs ago. Gallagher got rid of maybe 8/10 players I have thought good enough to start / on the panel. Due to either attitude or couldn't commit. Down gonna go the same way. Derry keep Slaughtneil on board to backbone the team, Kilcoo seem to they too good for the county team.
I think we're all up for building for the future but if we look back at the most recent plan prior to this,we know the results of that by our current situation.Who was in charge of implementing that and who is in charge of bringing this latest idea to fruition?The answer to this is critical as to the prospects of this plan succeeding.
Can't get my head around James and Co. staying on.Dressing room has long been lost and will probably not be got back.Just leave and let's have a clean sweep of the whole set-up.
Thank the Lord!Common sense has prevailed.Let's get it right this time.

Too many steps

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 26, 2022, 09:55:06 AM

[/quote]

The county executive is trying their best and they are trying to take the county forward, let's be honest ten years ago so the country's finances were in a dire mess, and time was spent getting these correct and they are in a better position now becuase of this. It's very easy to blame a few dedicated volunteers who probably spend all their spare time sorting stuff off. I laugh when I see comments on Facebook or Twitter saying sack the county board. Yeah right as there have been loads of nominations for officers at  convention recently. Before you complain have you volunteered?

Whoever we get needs the players to respect the manager the jersey and the tradition of Down GAA. Last year the PLAYERS did not respect the jersey, if they felt the setup was not perfect then that's okay but do not disrespect the jerseys and history of this county. Spilling the beans to that clown Colm Parkinson served no purpose and it made us look like a laughing stock.

Laverty might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think he would get rid of the spoofers and get a winning culture.
[/quote]

Definitely in the bad books around Burren at the moment after the match a couple of weeks back. Might find some of the Burren lads wouldn't be keen on playing for CL as things stand.

Also no one has mentioned that CL is still playing. Is it possible to manage a senior co team and play club - especially if Kilcoo were to go on another Ulster/AI club run?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: rosskarr on July 26, 2022, 01:58:41 PM
It'll be interesting to see who the Selection Panel are.The last lot failed miserably in allowing the process to go on so long.

The last lot found literally no one willing to take on the job and had to go begging James McCartan to bail the county out.

WTF do you expect?
i usse an speelchekor