Warrenpoint Town FC

Started by T Fearon, February 17, 2013, 08:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Still believe there is an adequate Market for senior soccer in Newry area wobbler.In the past the better locals have moved to the likes of Portadown for better money presumably (eg Cunningham,Keenan,Magee), so there's been no problem using locals who are good enough.Also,Newry are one of the few local clubs capable of building a non sectarian fan base.

Norf Tyrone,I'm sure we could select matches where Barcelona have not been impressive,but the fact remains Warrenpoint comfortably beat the league leaders yesterday and are serious challengers for a place in the top tier of the Irish League,no mean feat given they've only been in the Irish League's subsidiary divisions for three seasons and in existence for 25 years in total.

ranch

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 17, 2013, 10:54:37 PM
Warrenpoint weren't overly impressive in the Intermediate Cup a few weeks back against Newbuidlings.

They rested a lot of boys that day and even reversed the fixture to make sure it was definitely playerd as they were due to play Ards the following week. Ards' game was called off that day however so their game v Warrenpoint was delayed until yesterday. Had they known beforehand that the Ards cup game was to be called off I've no doubt that they'd have fielded a full strength side against Newbuildings.

thewobbler

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2013, 11:12:11 PM
Still believe there is an adequate Market for senior soccer in Newry area wobbler.In the past the better locals have moved to the likes of Portadown for better money presumably (eg Cunningham,Keenan,Magee), so there's been no problem using locals who are good enough.Also,Newry are one of the few local clubs capable of building a non sectarian fan base.

• All evidence would suggest there isn't any market, let alone an adequate market. An average gate of 300 tells you what you need to know. This isn't a new thing, it's always been the case.
  • I don't think anyone has an issue with local players going to bigger clubs for more money; that's the nature of the game. But a policy (whether deliberate or not) of ignoring local talent in favour of players from anywhere else has (in my opinion) alienated Newry City from the junior football ranks, and from the local families/schools/community groups who would love a local hero or two to cheer on.
  • Newry and it's immediate catchment area is around 90% nationalist in persuasion, so if it's going to gain crowds, it'll be from nationalist backgrounds. Whether you like to believe it or not, creating a popular "Catholic" team would add to the sectarianism in Irish League soccer, and not balance it out.

T Fearon

Bad result in Bangor tonight.Second Bangor goal in injury time could be the one that sends the Point out of the Irish League.Shame,when the likes of Portadown didn't defeat Warrenpoint once in three attempts this season.