Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: Tyrdub on May 16, 2022, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 15, 2022, 09:07:10 PM
Big win for Glenravel in Div2. Cassidy has them motoring. Ardoyne winning 5 on the bounce also.

Ant that's with Eamonn Fyfe well marshalled, hardly got a look in.

TBH I think he is one guy the management could look at bringing on to the county panel

He was in county panel last year and the start of this year but was let go

Tyrdub

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 16, 2022, 09:31:07 AM
Big win for Glenravel in Div2. Cassidy has them motoring. Ardoyne winning 5 on the bounce also.

TBH I think he is one guy the management could look at bringing on to the county panel

Apologies, wasn't aware of that

He was in county panel last year and the start of this year but was let go

paddyjohn

He's been down that road last year and never got a kick.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 16, 2022, 09:36:58 AM

It's not easy being a manager, especially at county level, you are being scrutinised by everyone, it's results based, its not a popularity contest either, you've your calls to make and managers will stand and fall over their own decisions.

Having 30 players on a panel makes it very hard to give all the lads a game or 30 minutes, this year survival was important then there was a chance to actually get promoted! You will instinctively play your best team.

The McKenna cup should be used to really throw your squad plenty of games. Players like Fyfe and Walsh and others need to be involved, could think of nothing worse than training as hard as the rest but warming the bench for all the games. Yes pride in the jersey is great but only if you actually get a chance to wear it at a game.

So dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, Fyfe not getting time with the county has probably helped his club better prepare for the season.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think he's been injured half the year from reading things on twitter.

Is Ross Carr still over Ardoyne? Some upturn in fortunes for them.

EOC1923

McGinley can give him a shout the next time Antrim are playing Ardoyne Rasharkin or Aldergrove... (oldie but goldie)

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2022, 09:50:42 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 16, 2022, 09:36:58 AM

It's not easy being a manager, especially at county level, you are being scrutinised by everyone, it's results based, its not a popularity contest either, you've your calls to make and managers will stand and fall over their own decisions.

Having 30 players on a panel makes it very hard to give all the lads a game or 30 minutes, this year survival was important then there was a chance to actually get promoted! You will instinctively play your best team.

The McKenna cup should be used to really throw your squad plenty of games. Players like Fyfe and Walsh and others need to be involved, could think of nothing worse than training as hard as the rest but warming the bench for all the games. Yes pride in the jersey is great but only if you actually get a chance to wear it at a game.

So dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, Fyfe not getting time with the county has probably helped his club better prepare for the season.

He's been injured. Saw on his social media that he was in cast.

Saffsof82

If he was so well marshalled by a Davitts player in Div2 league game where he didn't get a kick, it would be the best example to give of a player that should be brought into the county setup

bannside

Leitrim - not the worst draw we could have got. Mid Div 3 versus Mid Div 4, although home advantage probably worth a few points to them. You can be sure they will get a crowd out too.

We lost by a point there in our last visit under Lenny, and win by a point at Corrigan last year when Tomas scored a last second winner - so 50/50 is really the best way to describe our chances.

Hopefully Enda gets the players out that he wants and gets a response out of them. A victory there will definitely raise the morale, a defeat would probably have the opposite effect, so lots to play for all round.

imtommygunn

It's a good draw for both. Moran has put a bit of life into Leitrim football I think so it'll be a tough enough fixture.

country bumpkin

Having witnessed first hand at the improvement in the Gall's team have to say that the championship 'group of death' is interesting.......

imtommygunn

Is shivers, senior, injured cub? I don't see him playing that much for you.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 09:50:35 PM
Is shivers, senior, injured cub? I don't see him playing that much for you.
Was on the injury list but on the mend....no risk taking in league fare I think.....

imtommygunn

Thought that. Be interesting to see what he does come championship- seems to have suffered a lot from injuries this year.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 10:07:21 PM
Thought that. Be interesting to see what he does come championship- seems to have suffered a lot from injuries this year.

If I recall he spent most of last season injured as well with a hamy. Hear Mick is out injured for 5/6 weeks to. Antrim getting no luck here at all.