Most competitive county championship

Started by maddog, September 03, 2011, 10:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2011, 10:46:56 AM
Kildare's championship is imo fierce competitive. Any one of 6/7 teams would fancy themselves as contenders.

Most counties would have 6/7 teams that would fancy themselves as contenders  ;D

But I know what you meant...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Canalman on September 07, 2011, 10:46:56 AM
Kildare's championship is imo fierce competitive. Any one of 6/7 teams would fancy themselves as contenders.

I suppose it is competitive enough looking at it. Only three teams have managed to retain it since the great Carbury team of the sixties and seventies - Raheens in 78/79, Clane in 91/92 and Moorefield in 06/07.

Even allowing for the strength of both Newbridge clubs, there are strong clubs now in every part of the county. Celbridge in the north and St Laurences in the south both won their first title in 08 and 09 respectively. I personally think Athy are going to be a serious force over the next few years and the winners of their quarter final with Sarsfields will win it out this year. If Moorefield had a forward they'd be serious All-Ireland contenders but they'll struggle for scores with Ronan Sweeney on the sidelines.

The clubs in the north of the county should be making progress because of the population boom in recent times but only Celbridge seem to have gotten their act together. Leixlip, Maynooth and to a lesser extent Confey have seriously untapped potential. Naas are another club that are perennial underachievers given their pick.

Clane look like they're on the way back and I expect JTB to win the Indtermediate Championship this year. They are two clubs that Kildare football need to be competitive; Clane in particular given their proud history.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

No-one has retained the Sligo SFC since 1989 when St Pats (JFC champions in Sligo last year and who will feature in Celebrity Bainisteoir this year) won the last of their SFC titles. Prior to St Pats double, St Marys had won 8 of the 11 previous SFC's from 1977 to 1987 inclusive.

The 4 semi finalists who play this weekend have won the last 9 championships between them: Eastern Harps (2002, 2008, 2010) v. Tourlestrane (2004, 2007, 2009) and Curry (2003, 2006) v. Coolera/Strandhill (2005).

Billys Boots

In Longford, the Senior Football Championship has been won by seven different teams in the last decade, as follows:

Clonguish: 03, 04 & 05
Dromard: 05 & 07
Colmcille: 08
Longford Slashers: 10
Abbeylara: 06
Ballymahon: 02
Drumlish: 01

All of the above winners have also each lost at least one final in the last decade, with the exception of Abbeylara (who last lost in 1999). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Throw ball on September 04, 2011, 01:19:03 AM
Does competitive mean a higher or lower standard. Cross may have won 14 of the last 15 Armagh titles but they also won 8 or 9 Ulsters and 5 All Irelands in that time. Does that mean that Armagh was competitive and gave Cross good grounds for battles further afield or non - competitive so that they were fresh for All Ireland assaults? Some of their toughest games last year were in Armagh. The year the Ogs beat them on the other hand they lost in the first round of Ulster (by 2 points to St. Galls who went on to win the All Ireland). Highlighting a result this year against a team who had 9 championship debutants this year due to injury, retirement and emigration is not a true reflection in my opinion. What I would love to see in Armagh is to see teams have the belief they could beat Cross - then it really will be competitive.

So what you're saying is say for example that if Lamh Dhearg beat us in the final then they have a chance of going on to win an All Ireland or compete in the Ulster Championship? I'm not having a dig at Lamhs by the way, same as not having a dig at the Ogs. Your own county Championship is totally different than playing in Ulster and beyond.

It's true a good run in your own club championship helps when competing in Ulster, but it's up to the clubs in their own county to dominate.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw ball

Milltown you could also say that if Ronan Clarke hadn't have missed a chance he would normally take St Galls would never have been All Ireland champs! What I was trying to get at was that a competitive county championship does not mean the standard is high. If Cross, for example, had not been in Armagh the last 15 years the County champions could have been Mullaghbawn, Madden, Dromintee, Pearse Ogs, Clann na Gael etc.. This would not have made the standard higher. What I was getting at is that Cross won many Ulster and All Irelands but in that time they also had many competitive matches in Armagh. Just because one team is always winning does not mean the rest of the competition is not competitive. Unfortunately economic circumstances have reduced the standard of some teams this year while Cross continue to get better!

Nally Stand

Quote from: regal on September 05, 2011, 08:51:44 AM
In Ulster, Derry and Tyrone are definitely very competitive. However, whoever wins these respective championships wont go far in ulster because both championships are very poor quality. Carrickmore are favourites in Tyrone and Coleraine are favourites in Derry. Both teams are crap when considered in an ulster context - Carrickmore dont have 3 quality footballers and Burren stuffed Coleraine without moving into second gear last year.

I doubt you must be smokin' more than just regal
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Throw ball on September 07, 2011, 08:06:29 PM
Milltown you could also say that if Ronan Clarke hadn't have missed a chance he would normally take St Galls would never have been All Ireland champs! What I was trying to get at was that a competitive county championship does not mean the standard is high. If Cross, for example, had not been in Armagh the last 15 years the County champions could have been Mullaghbawn, Madden, Dromintee, Pearse Ogs, Clann na Gael etc.. This would not have made the standard higher. What I was getting at is that Cross won many Ulster and All Irelands but in that time they also had many competitive matches in Armagh. Just because one team is always winning does not mean the rest of the competition is not competitive. Unfortunately economic circumstances have reduced the standard of some teams this year while Cross continue to get better!

But he did, If my granny had balls she'd be........

That's not a real argument in truth, also the economic crisis I'm sure is just as tough in Cross as it is anywhere else in Armagh.

Cross play a brand of football and have players who don't seem to panic in big games. Great team in fairness and after tonight's result for us I think we will be concentrating on the hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

4father

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2011, 11:24:45 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on September 07, 2011, 08:06:29 PM

But he did, If my granny had balls she'd be........

That's not a real argument in truth, also the economic crisis I'm sure is just as tough in Cross as it is anywhere else in Armagh.

Cross play a brand of football and have players who don't seem to panic in big games. Great team in fairness and after tonight's result for us I think we will be concentrating on the hurling

You're a cute hoor Milltown, nothing like playing down your chances again and again and again...

sheamy

St Gall's for the club football and hurling AI titles. They beat the mighty men of Dunloy last night.

HiMucker

Quote from: hardstation on September 08, 2011, 09:45:39 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 07, 2011, 05:15:28 PM
In Longford, the Senior Football Championship has been won by seven different teams in the last decade, as follows:

Clonguish: 03, 04 & 05
Dromard: 05 & 07
Colmcille: 08
Longford Slashers: 10
Abbeylara: 06
Ballymahon: 02
Drumlish: 01

All of the above winners have also each lost at least one final in the last decade, with the exception of Abbeylara (who last lost in 1999).
Why would a team who had just won back to back championships have to combine with another team the following year?

Also, why was the championship not played in '09?
Nerd Alert!   ::) :) Give him a break we know what he was getting at

eddie d

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 07, 2011, 08:10:06 PM
Quote from: regal on September 05, 2011, 08:51:44 AM
In Ulster, Derry and Tyrone are definitely very competitive. However, whoever wins these respective championships wont go far in ulster because both championships are very poor quality. Carrickmore are favourites in Tyrone and Coleraine are favourites in Derry. Both teams are crap when considered in an ulster context - Carrickmore dont have 3 quality footballers and Burren stuffed Coleraine without moving into second gear last year.

I doubt you must be smokin' more than just regal

yea cus derry teams never go far in ulster,

09 final
08 final
06 final
05 final