People from the 6 counties (our wee country)

Started by 02, June 21, 2011, 08:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred nationality? (Choose one)

British
European
Irish
Northern Irish

Oraisteach

I suppose, EG, what the Romans did was not invade.

Dies Noster Veniet -- I'm sure Gerry would butcher the language as I've undoubtedly done.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 23, 2011, 06:58:30 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 23, 2011, 06:54:47 PM
Either way I couldn't care less - I know I'm British and I've got my Passport and my Vote to prove it.  8)

Just like your confreres in the 26 counties, before 1922!  :P
Indeed.

Still, that merely emphasises one of the great things about coming from Northern Ireland: if you identify yourself as "British", you get to vote in British Elections, whereas if you identify yourself as "Irish", you get to vote in, no wait, I need to check something...

:D

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 23, 2011, 07:10:25 PM
Oh ffs! It's not a maths question, where there is only one prescribed answer!

Just because different people give different answers when questioned about their identity, doesn't mean they're confused, it simply means they disagree - if only in terms of emphasis or priority.
Quite.

What's it like being so confused?

Hilarious. You must be a real wow at parties... :D

I'm a man of many talents. You have no idea!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 23, 2011, 07:15:27 PM
Perhaps that's because they never got an Invitation?

Still, good old Dermot McMorrough - I know he gets a Bad Press these days, but we should all really be grateful to him  ;)

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 23, 2011, 07:15:27 PMDies Noster Veniet -- I'm sure Gerry would butcher the language as I've undoubtedly done.
Take one hundred lines, or I'll cut your balls off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 23, 2011, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on June 23, 2011, 07:15:27 PM
Perhaps that's because they never got an Invitation?

Still, good old Dermot McMorrough - I know he gets a Bad Press these days, but we should all really be grateful to him  ;)

Well yes, the Brit invaders/occupiers were invited...invited to leave Ireland. Repeatedly. Plain bad mannered to refuse if you ask me.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 23, 2011, 07:40:11 PM
Well yes, the Brit invaders/occupiers were invited...invited to leave Ireland. Repeatedly. Plain bad mannered to refuse if you ask me.

They were never house trained, those planters.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 23, 2011, 06:18:12 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 23, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 23, 2011, 12:59:19 PM
For with eg grandparents on the other side born and reared in Tipperary and Leitrim (neither a Plantation county),

Had your grandparents not moved you might be defending Republican values on the OWC website right now.
Doubt it - they weren't Republicans when they were in Tipp or Leitrim, either.
Which is one of the reasons why, having met in the North due to their work circumstances, they stayed up there after Partition.

Well any person from the Republic that I happen to know their religion and who is of the Reformed religious heritage they all appear quite Republican. Republicanism seems the rational answer and thankfully our planters in the Republic have managed to evolve  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Oraisteach

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Bruces were invited by those lads up in Ulster, but us Connacht lads sent them packing. To be honest we should had waited until they had kicked the English out first, ha ha.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tonto on June 23, 2011, 07:03:54 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 23, 2011, 06:29:38 PM
Britain is an island (ergo, the English, Welsh and Scots can correctly say that they're British since, erm... they come from Britain), and Ireland is an island; EG is one of this magical troop that can be from two islands at once, WHOA!*  :D

* Being British in respect of Ireland is a status, not a statement of origin/nationality, just like those in the 26 counties were British before 1922 (a status can be rescinded but a nationality can never be). I respect those of our (Irish) unionist brethren, however, who wish to maintain their British status, that's their choice.
That's an interesting take on it that I haven't heard before.  But if that is the case how come my passport doesn't mention my "status" but it DOES mention my "nationality"?

Well, if you don't know what those British and their land grabbing are like by now, not to mention mixing nationality and status up (accidentally on purpose)...  ;)

Nationality cannot be rescinded, as happened to the 'British' in pre-1922 Ireland, and it didn't mention 'status' on their passports either.

EG: the board's very own Vicky Pollard... Yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish), but yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish), but yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish)...

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 23, 2011, 08:57:42 PM
EG: the board's very own Vicky Pollard... Yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish), but yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish), but yeah (Irish), but no (not Irish)...
:D

Tonto

The planters probably all died in the 17th Century.

I'm a native and anybody who's not a xenophobic/ racist idiot would treat me as such.

But for the Irish fascists on the board who believe in one pure race of Irishmen and women, go along on your merry way if it makes you feel better.

Tonto

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 23, 2011, 08:57:42 PM
Quote from: Tonto on June 23, 2011, 07:03:54 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 23, 2011, 06:29:38 PM
Britain is an island (ergo, the English, Welsh and Scots can correctly say that they're British since, erm... they come from Britain), and Ireland is an island; EG is one of this magical troop that can be from two islands at once, WHOA!*  :D

* Being British in respect of Ireland is a status, not a statement of origin/nationality, just like those in the 26 counties were British before 1922 (a status can be rescinded but a nationality can never be). I respect those of our (Irish) unionist brethren, however, who wish to maintain their British status, that's their choice.
That's an interesting take on it that I haven't heard before.  But if that is the case how come my passport doesn't mention my "status" but it DOES mention my "nationality"?

Well, if you don't know what those British and their land grabbing are like by now, not to mention mixing nationality and status up (accidentally on purpose)...  ;)

Nationality cannot be rescinded, as happened to the 'British' in pre-1922 Ireland, and it didn't mention 'status' on their passports either.
I don;t think you can use a 90-year-old example to back up what you said.

Is the right of everyone in NI to call themselves "British" in a united Ireland not guaranteed by the GFA just as Irish nationality is in the status quo?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tonto on June 23, 2011, 10:37:29 PM
I don;t think you can use a 90-year-old example to back up what you said.

Is the right of everyone in NI to call themselves "British" in a united Ireland not guaranteed by the GFA just as Irish nationality is in the status quo?

If a majority vote for British withdrawal, your 'Britishness' will go with it -- that means that it (your Britishness) cannot be immutable (however unlikely such an event might be in the present, it's still a possibility, however remote) -- it would be impossible for such an eventuality to come to pass in Britain itself, i.e., the Welsh or Scottish can never have their Britishness terminated. The 90 years is somewhat irrelevant.

You can call yourself whatever you like, IMHO, and to my mind you're as validly Irish as anyone else (there cannot be any prerequisites, except being of the Sod): Pre-Celt = Celt = Gael = Saxon Invader = Planter = Post-Planter = 100% Irish.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lazer

I'm Irish - I was born in Ireland (Co Down) and therefore I am Irish

I have held both Irish and "British" passports - doesn't make me any less Irish! British is in commas as I don't think it should be a British nationality as Britain does not actually incude NI - whereas the UK unfortunatley does!

The only permanent peace in Ireland will be a united and free Ireland!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)