Is it just me or is it quiet around here?

Started by Guillem2, March 28, 2008, 07:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Usually at this time of year this board is buzzing. Club finals just over, National leagues at the interesting stage and clubs getting ready for the new season but it seems very quiet to me.
A lot of regular posters appear to be missing and there's not much activity at all. Is it actually slower around here or is all the activity taking place in the local GAA threads? Can anyone back up my perception with evidence of activity for this time last year?

Have regular posters left? Is surf control barring access from work for significant Numbers?
Any ideas what's going on?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Goats Do Shave

stpauls

i thought it was quiet as well, but Goats could be right, though it hasn't just been this week that it has been quiet.!

ziggysego

There doesn't seem to be the same excitement around football the year. I haven't gotten to any games this season (bad me) so in my case, I'm not really qualified to discuss where Tyrone are standing the year. Hopefully after this weekend, I will.
Testing Accessibility

GAA Bored

The GAA Board has slowly but surely been taken over by a bunch of ar*eholes. They seem to be here morning, noon and night, talking absolute nonsense and it is very off putting to say the least. Most of their conversations arent even GAA related. Everytime you log into the board you can be guaranteed one of them, usually more, will have the last number of posts on the board.
It looked as if the admin of the board, who remains anonymous for some strange reason, was finally going to make a stand a couple of weeks ago and get rid of some of the biggest culprits, but he lost his bangor reserves at the last minute and allowed one of the biggest idiots in cyberspace back onto the board. The thread to bring back two of the banned posters was the last straw for me, they say empty vessels make the most noise and it was proven to be correct on that thread. The decline of the GAA Board was well summed up on that thread, every one of the posters who are guilty of ruining this once great board, were to the forefront of the campaign to reinstate two absolute d*ckheads. Why would any of the old, decent posters bother to give their views, when those views would be lost in a tirade of nonsense including happy birthday threads, you know what really grinds my gears, Liverpool, Man U, half naked bimbos who are so much hotter than last weeks half naked bimbo thread, owc vs the world and last but not least, 2000 Tottenham threads.
It seems now that post count is all that matters on the board, posters with a high post count think others with a post count in the hundreds, or god forbid new members dont have a valid point of view. Until Admin and the Moderators make a stand the board is in big trouble. There are discussion boards for Liverpool, Man U, Personal Issues and everything else you can think of. BUT there is only one GAA Board.

Maybe everyone should watch this short video. http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum

small white mayoman

Quote from: GAA Bored on March 28, 2008, 10:58:11 AM
The GAA Board has slowly but surely been taken over by a bunch of ar*eholes. They seem to be here morning, noon and night, talking absolute nonsense and it is very off putting to say the least. Most of their conversations arent even GAA related. Everytime you log into the board you can be guaranteed one of them, usually more, will have the last number of posts on the board.
It looked as if the admin of the board, who remains anonymous for some strange reason, was finally going to make a stand a couple of weeks ago and get rid of some of the biggest culprits, but he lost his bangor reserves at the last minute and allowed one of the biggest idiots in cyberspace back onto the board. The thread to bring back two of the banned posters was the last straw for me, they say empty vessels make the most noise and it was proven to be correct on that thread. The decline of the GAA Board was well summed up on that thread, every one of the posters who are guilty of ruining this once great board, were to the forefront of the campaign to reinstate two absolute d*ckheads. Why would any of the old, decent posters bother to give their views, when those views would be lost in a tirade of nonsense including happy birthday threads, you know what really grinds my gears, Liverpool, Man U, half naked bimbos who are so much hotter than last weeks half naked bimbo thread, owc vs the world and last but not least, 2000 Tottenham threads.
It seems now that post count is all that matters on the board, posters with a high post count think others with a post count in the hundreds, or god forbid new members dont have a valid point of view. Until Admin and the Moderators make a stand the board is in big trouble. There are discussion boards for Liverpool, Man U, Personal Issues and everything else you can think of. BUT there is only one GAA Board.

Maybe everyone should watch this short video. http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum

Nobody if forcing you to read any of the other threads if you just want to read about gaa stay here
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

heineken_on_tap

Someone tell that lad its friday and lighten up :)

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

TORGAEL

Nice opening post by GAA Bored.............not !

Star Spangler

Maybe it's just Stage 4 of the Forum Life Cycle.

THE LIFE CYCLE OF A FORUM COMMUNITY

Stage 1: Arrival of the core group. When a net community starts, it will attract a small group of regulars. This number is usually fairly specific -- under 30 people who participate heavily. Since the new site has little traffic, this group dominates the site.

Stage 2: Community Expansion. The website begins to grow exponentially towards its eventual "maximum size". So lots of new people arrive. The regulars, typically friendly and social able, welcome these new people to the community. Some of the regulars try to hint that these newcomers need to respect the existing pecking order and other unwritten rules that the regulars have established.

Stage 3: Melodrama. Some of the regulars, now using terms like "Old guard" or "Founders" or "Old timers" or other terms to convey that they've been part of the community for longer than others, begin to write about the lack of manners, civility, decency, etc. of many of the newcomers. Various melodramatic posts/articles are written about how everything is falling apart.

Stage 4: Exodus. Some of the "old guard" now begin to leave in a huff. This usually includes so long winded, melodramatic post talking about how the community has gone to hell in the hand basket and how they predict that other people (like themselves) will soon leave as well. The implication being that the original regulars are more equal than newcomers and the loss of their presence will doom the site.

Stage 5: Stabilization. The "old guard" that remains are the ones who can adapt to the community's growth and maturity. They are the ones who recognize that they are one member amongst many. The community will have lots of activity and interest but a lot less melodrama at this point. Occasionally, an "old timer" will drop in and bemoan how much nicer things were in the "old days" when the community had a "specific character". The most popular users at this point will form a new set of regulars.

thejuice

Just wondering why GAA-bored didnt post that under his original name (well, I do actually), clearly not a newbie on this board.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mike Sheehy