Road deaths in the North were the lowest since 1947 in 2007!

Started by Guillem2, January 03, 2008, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7170099.stm

That's despite the huge increase in the number of cars on the road. Is it time for the RUC to get off the motorist backs and start tackling anti-social behaviour in working class areas?

As a motorist they'll set up speed checks in the most rediculous areas, dip you for desiel, stop you to check your tyres (despite the MOT in place) and stop you to check the tax disc - even though it's all on a data base.

With 700,000 cars flying along our roads at 60 miles per hour, with 2 feet of each other we should accept the some accidents will happen.

Seems to me they are taking the easy pickings and there is little justification for it now.

It's time to tackle the hard issue of youths out of control in the working class areas.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

ziggysego

Quote from: Guillem2 on January 03, 2008, 07:13:39 PM
That's despite the huge increase in the number of cars on the road. Is it time for the RUC to get off the motorist backs and start tackling anti-social behaviour in working class areas?

One could say that because the police are on your backs, the roads are more safer. So to stop that, would be like taking a step backwards.
Testing Accessibility

Tonto

Quote from: Guillem2 on January 03, 2008, 07:13:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7170099.stm

As a motorist they'll set up speed checks in the most rediculous areas, dip you for desiel, stop you to check your tyres (despite the MOT in place) and stop you to check the tax disc - even though it's all on a data base.

With 700,000 cars flying along our roads at 60 miles per hour, with 2 feet of each other we should accept the some accidents will happen.

Seems to me they are taking the easy pickings and there is little justification for it now.

It's time to tackle the hard issue of youths out of control in the working class areas.

So over 100 deaths a year is an acceptable level is it?

Catch yourself on.  Idiot. >:(

Guillem2

There will always be road accidents. We have to accept that they will always happen with so many cars on the roads. Most accidents involving death are down to driver error. You will never eliminate that.

I not saying 100 is acceptable but wasting police resources on more campaigns against motorists is not a good use of their time and will not reduce the figure. The law of diminishing returns.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Aristotle Flynn

One death on the roads is one too many but I take your point. Cops see the motorist as an easy touch. You could go to the extreme of having a cop posted at every hole in the hedge full time and you still wouldn't stop every accident. They are called accidents; well, because they are accidents.

It's about a balanced use of limited police numbers and I agree that the balance is wrong right now. No attempt to tackle the young thugs terrorising local communities (not just in Belfast) - but a huge effort to catch those using red diesel, not paying road tax or speeding. They've got their priorities wrong IMO.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

gerry

Another sad family today.  May they rest in peace

Two children and an adult have been killed in an overnight road crash in Strabane, Co Tyrone.

They have been named as Eamon Sweeney, aged 11 from Castlederg, Emma Sweeney, 13 also from Castlederg, and Jonathan Miller, aged 18 from Artigarvan.

A woman and a child were also hurt but their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Police are appealing for witnesses.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ludermor

has anyone got a link to the % road death per population and the numbers dead/car numbers etc down the years.

Doogie Browser

Another tragic night on the roads two more families with horrifc losses to deal with,
Quote from: ludermor on January 19, 2008, 12:13:59 PM
has anyone got a link to the % road death per population and the numbers dead/car numbers etc down the years.

i think a more pertinent figure would be the age of victims, these tragedies always seem to happen on Fri & Sat nights and involve 17-25 year old male drivers.   But we seem to be running out of strategies to stop this awful scourge on our communities.

I agree though, all the resources in the world cannot stop some young fella speeding on back roads.  it really is a case of consolidation for the authorities hoping the figures are on a par or slightly less than previous year figures.

el Chino

PSNI website has all the figures if u want to venture there- had to do an essay on it last year!

The Watcher Pat

This is a ridiculous thread.....The road deaths are down due to the way that they are policing itnot that i have too much for the PSNI) but they seem to be doing this right.....100 deaths is 100 too many....You would not post a thread like this if it was someone close to you who was a statistic! Let them get on with their job if your not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about......
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ziggysego

Totally agree Pat. One death is too many. I support the PSNI in their crack down on speed. I'm only one of the few people that support speeding cameras too. If you don't speed, why complain? If you were in a hurry..... no excuse, pay the find and learn for the future.
Testing Accessibility

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2008, 03:34:49 PM
Totally agree Pat. One death is too many. I support the PSNI in their crack down on speed. I'm only one of the few people that support speeding cameras too. If you don't speed, why complain? If you were in a hurry..... no excuse, pay the find and learn for the future.
Some people just never learn Ziggy or else they just dont want to learn.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

deiseach

The notion that 100 deaths is 100 too many is feeble. If you want zero road deaths, start campaigning for the speed limit to be reduced to walking speed. That's the only way you are going to eliminate road deaths.

Doogie Browser

Very true deisach it is a given that we will have fatalities every week sadly, that is the the problem with driving you are not in control.  Of your own vehicle yes, but you no matter how safely you drive yourself you just cannot legislate for the idiot hurtling towards you.  All the adverts, campaigns and penalty points in the world will not deter some people.

Silky

The police strategy has very little to do with the reduction in road deaths. The cars are safer now and can with stand high impacts that would have killed a driver only a few years ago. Deaths are highest among the young and the Eastern Europeans because they drive to fast for road conditions and drink too much.

I take it you don't drive Ziggy? Nobody with an once of sense that drives supports speed cameras. They are put up to make money. Driving on an empty road at 50 KPH is not dangerous but a speed camera does not tale account of conditions. Similarly driving at 30 in ice is dangerous but the camera will let you through.

As for the auld "one death is too many" shite - the only way to stop road deaths is to ban all forms of transport. There were deaths on the roads when our ancestors were using horses and carts.

The Garda do see the motorist as an easy touch. No doubt about it. It's far easier to hide behind a hedge with a speed gun that walk around a housing estate late at night confronting young tear aways.