Class Room Assistants Strike

Started by Guillem2, September 26, 2007, 12:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

Poor Catriona is completely out of her Depth. Does she not realise that as Minister she is in charge now and can sort this out if she wants?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7013416.stm

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/record/reports2007/070925.htm#5
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Aristotle Flynn

Fair play to the class room assistance and I support them 100%. Increasing their hours and theyby cutting their pay is not on. It is a disgrace that a Sinn Fein Minister who stood on their picket line a few months ago in now proposing to impose these changes against the expressed wishes of the class room assistants.

I heard her on Good Morning Ulster yesterday as well. Dreadful performance!
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

SouthArmaghBandit

Catriona is clearly not up to the job but it's not fair blaming her on this one - its been running for 12 years. What you can blame her for is not understand ing the issue and making commitments to the Assembly that she can't deliver.

The Shinners won't drop her yet because it will f**k their chances of winning South Down but if she continues with recent performances they are fucked anyway. It would also look like wee Sammy was getting his was if they moved her aside so I expect a change around in the New Year. BTW Who is her special advisor, Donald Duck? They are suppose to be keeping the Minister on the right track. To settle this dispute to the total staisfaction of the unions would cost £5m per year. Any politican with any sense would have told their officials to find £2.5m from existing budgets and settle. The unions would jump at it, everybody is happy and Catriona is a hero for solving a 12 year old dispute.
Instead, everytime she is asked what she is going to do she launches into a defence of Irish Schools  :'(.

Donagh

Seems to me the obvious solution is to take money from the under-worked and overpaid teachers and give it to the assistants, who are doing the teachers work for them anyway.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Donagh on September 26, 2007, 08:40:23 PM
Seems to me the obvious solution is to take money from the under-worked and overpaid teachers and give it to the assistants, who are doing the teachers work for them anyway.
couldn't agree more
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

A Quinn Martin Production

Sack Ruane, give Donagh the job!!

It seems to me that local politicos when faced with issues other than the national question haven't the first notion.  Running education is a bit bigger than running the West Belfast Feile, which Caitriona could just about do with a lot of help.  Arlene and Nigel are finding that the days of slipping a mate a big contract seem to be over.  The big strategy now to pay for things is to flog public sector property and rent it back from the private sector...genius
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

pintsofguinness

QuoteMy wife's a teacher and the amount of work they do both at school and at home in the evenings and weekends is unreal.
Sure they'll have a week off now next month, only back from holidays, two weeks at christmas, another week at Easter?  With the Kids 9am-3pm? It must be a killer.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on September 26, 2007, 09:56:46 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 26, 2007, 09:47:17 PM
Sure they'll have a week off now next month, only back from holidays, two weeks at christmas, another week at Easter?  With the Kids 9am-3pm? It must be a killer.

Pints you really have it all wrong. Do you think a teacher simply goes into a class and then starts to teach? What about preparing lessons, marking projects, homeworks and exams. I swear to you, speaking from experience, its no joke. The problem is that too many people are prepared to make uninformed comments about teachers
No I realise what's involved but I still don't think it's what you're making it out to be.  I don't see what's so difficult about preparing lessons and marking when you've an answer book beside you.  What's difficult about preparing stuff when you're in the job ten years?  Primary school teachers have a big job marking do they?

pintsofguinness

QuoteAs regards lessons, the Dept of Education changes the curriculum and the syllabus regularly to ensure that teachers can't simply regurgitate old lessons ad nauseam
It doesn't change that much. 

I'm deadly serious TYP.

GweylTah

You remember who piloted Ruane into South Down?

Eddie McGrady will be enjoying the piss-poor minister drowning in her own of mediocrity.

pintsofguinness

You boys just know I'm right, you can't even put up an argument. 
says it all.

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 26, 2007, 10:19:37 PM
says it all.

Pint

My wee sister is a primary school teacher (p6) and she is in school before eight every morning and is still working at eight or nine most nights. She had 13 days actual holiday in the summer and the rest of the time was spent preparing lessons, doing training etc.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SammyG on September 26, 2007, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 26, 2007, 10:19:37 PM
says it all.

Pint

My wee sister is a primary school teacher (p6) and she is in school before eight every morning and is still working at eight or nine most nights. She had 13 days actual holiday in the summer and the rest of the time was spent preparing lessons, doing training etc.
13 days?  Aye right! Nonsense sammy she's having you on, either that or she's not like any teacher I know!

TYP how many days during the summer holidays would teachers be expected to train?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 26, 2007, 11:14:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 26, 2007, 10:38:26 PM

TYP how many days during the summer holidays would teachers be expected to train?

This is at the teacher's discretion and own requirement for professional development.  Summer school is organised by the Regional Training Unit and it runs from 20th August.  Some teachers will use their summer break to complete university courses or other professional qualifications when they have more free time.
So nothing then. 

QuoteBTW PoG, I not sure how you earn your living but I would guarantee you would find a week in school as a teacher at any level a real eye opener and a tough assignment.
I have no doubt it's not an easy job, I couldn't listen to 30 screaming kids but it's not what teachers make it out to be! 
Any job that has about 3 months holidays is handy enough even if you've to work evenings or weekends which I don't believe you do. 

Blacksheep

Could you pass this advice on to Ms Ruane Donagh because she hasn't the first clue what to do at the minute?
I agree that Marty McGuinness was a far better Minister & i also think they'll have to get rid of her sooner rather than later. I would appoint John The Chef or Wee Alex (if his health is up to it). O'Dowd is a smart cookie and could work with the education professionals. Alex proved his ability as Lord Mayor and would make an excellent Minister.
However I imagine SF will appoint another woman to keep a gender balance. Sue Ramsay is my outside bet!  ;)
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!