Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: StephenC on May 09, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
Good game of football. When Cavan played direct ball in, our defensive weaknesses were there to be seen. Very quiet day from Langan, Thompson and McGee - thought Ban and Mogan did well, and Jamie Brennan was good in patches.
Wasn't a penalty for me. The major contact happened after he tried to kick the ball. I get that Cavan ones won't agree but there you go. As for soft frees for Donegal, there was one in the first half that I'd put into that category - there was a slight over the shoulder pull on a Donegal player to the left of the D (might have been Paddy McB); other than that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The question that has been going through my mind since the game .... how the f£$% did Cavan end up in Div 4?

Just on the penalty, why does it matter if it was after he tried to kick the ball that contact was made?

Dreadnought

Quote from: StephenC on May 09, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
Good game of football. When Cavan played direct ball in, our defensive weaknesses were there to be seen. Very quiet day from Langan, Thompson and McGee - thought Ban and Mogan did well, and Jamie Brennan was good in patches.
Wasn't a penalty for me. The major contact happened after he tried to kick the ball. I get that Cavan ones won't agree but there you go. As for soft frees for Donegal, there was one in the first half that I'd put into that category - there was a slight over the shoulder pull on a Donegal player to the left of the D (might have been Paddy McB); other than that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The question that has been going through my mind since the game .... how the f£$% did Cavan end up in Div 4?

Why about the contact after he tried to kick? If anything, the contact was as he was kicking it, therefore he couldn't make contact correctly. This makes it a penalty in any mans language. That's a free out the field, no? You can get done for tackling as they're kicking

Ah we shouldn't have been there. Bulk of this team has spent the most of it's time between Division 1 and 2. Just the odd circumstances of Covid disruption, a reduced league last year combined with an Ulster final hangover. Everything conspired to happen at once to see us drop the way down. But I don't think anyone considered us Division 4 level team in actuality. Our Championship results have consistently been good, and the manager aimed for Championship more, not league. We do need to get back up the divisions though, especially when the Leagues are linked to the Tiered Championship now.

Itchy

Win the Tailteann cup and you are in Sam the following year I think too. That is what Cavan should be getting their heads around now and giving that a right lash.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 09, 2022, 11:54:37 AM
Win the Tailteann cup and you are in Sam the following year I think too. That is what Cavan should be getting their heads around now and giving that a right lash.

I'd usually agree, but if we're giving Division 3 a go next year (as we should) then it'll be a moot point if we're promoted. Don't think they've fully thought out this Tailteann Cup. Needs changes otherwise it'll be dead on arrival.