Monaghan v Derry USFC SF Sunday May15th 16.00

Started by Main Street, May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

tbrick18

Quote from: Main Street on May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM
Monaghan will not be beaten.

I think you're right.
Derry haven't a chance in this game. All we've done so far is stay in Div2 and beat a poor Tyrone side.
We might as well not turn up.
Monaghan for Sam!

quit yo jibbajabba

We're just happy to be in an Ulster Semi final thread on gaaboard tbh. Anything else is a bonus

lenny

Fancy Monaghan to win this one by 6 or 7 points. They're too streetwise and crafty for a young, naive but improving Derry side.

Estimator

Think this is the first Championship meeting in over 10years.  As fair I as I know, the last two encounters were in 2009. Memory of the game at Celtic Park being a fairly bad-tempered affair.  However, the only survivors from those two matches that year are Chrissy McKaigue and Conor McManus.  So that will have very little bearing on this game.
Monaghan have to be going in as favourites, as they have been a top division side for a number of years. Monaghan have won 17 USFC games over the last 10 years, including two titles and 2 final appearances, against Derry's record of 2 victories, zero final places. Last time Derry put together back to back performances was in 2011.
I'd say Monaghan's betting handicap would be set around the -3 mark.

Last 5 Championship Matches
2009 USFC
Derry 1-10 Monaghan 0-10
2009 Qualifiers
Derry 3-16 Monaghan 0-20
2008 Qualifiers
Monaghan 1-13 Derry 1-12
2007 USFC
Monaghan 0-14 Derry 1-09
2005 USFC
Derry 1-17 Monaghan 2-08
Ulster League Champions 2009

shawshank

Quote from: lenny on May 04, 2022, 11:14:54 AM
Fancy Monaghan to win this one by 6 or 7 points. They're too streetwise and crafty for a young, naive but improving Derry side.

Think I read that one before, except replace Tyrone for Monaghan  ;D

Schkite

It'll be a tricky game for Monaghan, as I'm sure they've been looking at Tyrone as the likely opponents in a semi final. But the manner of Derry's win at the weekend will surely get rid of any chance of complacency and refocus the heads to the job at hand.

Derry on the other hand need to come down from the high of such a huge win and get their own focus back, but I've no doubt Gallagher will make sure of that.

Itchy

I'm banking on an El Classico Ulster final, the first since 1952!

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 04, 2022, 01:37:48 PM
I'm banking on an El Classico Ulster final, the first since 1952!

Imagine! Although I'd take just getting past Donegal in any way at this stage. Monaghan, El Drumlin Classico final. Derry, repeat of 97. Either is good for me.

Gael85

Quote from: Estimator on May 04, 2022, 11:39:17 AM
Think this is the first Championship meeting in over 10years.  As fair I as I know, the last two encounters were in 2009. Memory of the game at Celtic Park being a fairly bad-tempered affair.  However, the only survivors from those two matches that year are Chrissy McKaigue and Conor McManus.  So that will have very little bearing on this game.
Monaghan have to be going in as favourites, as they have been a top division side for a number of years. Monaghan have won 17 USFC games over the last 10 years, including two titles and 2 final appearances, against Derry’s record of 2 victories, zero final places. Last time Derry put together back to back performances was in 2011.
I’d say Monaghan’s betting handicap would be set around the -3 mark.

Last 5 Championship Matches
2009 USFC
Derry 1-10 Monaghan 0-10
2009 Qualifiers
Derry 3-16 Monaghan 0-20
2008 Qualifiers
Monaghan 1-13 Derry 1-12
2007 USFC
Monaghan 0-14 Derry 1-09
2005 USFC
Derry 1-17 Monaghan 2-08

Darren Hughes also played in 2009. McManus played in the qualifier game that year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/derry-survive-true-test-of-their-mettle-1.770275

Eire90

full moon

Main Street

Before the 2007 semi final, Paul Finlay was surprisingly withdrawn due to an overly cautious medical opinion.
And at a roundabout somewhere on the road to Dungannon, a GAA official was robbed at hammer point of the considerable gate takings.

restorepride

Muineachán will rightly be favourites as they have been achieving consistently at a higher level than Doire for some time. Could be close though - big test for Doire. Does the truth lie nearer the Tyrone display or the Galway one? I doubt if Muineachán will let Doire go short from the kickout as Tyrone did for too long at the start. Likely to put at least one defender up front to stop Rodgers bombing forward or Doherty. For the first time in a number of years Doire's strength and conditioning will match Muineachán. Referee and interpretation of rules will have a big say in this one, I think.