Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: weareros on May 26, 2019, 03:39:26 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 26, 2019, 03:30:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2019, 01:13:43 PM
I suppose it was a case of the team with the best forwards winning.
Galway will hardly kick as many sides as ye're bucks did.

Disagree. Roscommon's system won the day. Galway will play blanket and Ros. forwards will have an entirely different proposition the next day. Only James Horan could think it is still a good idea ( 7 years after Michael Murphy) to play 2 at the back and a 3 man full forward line. His generosity is legendary.

Based on some comments on Mayogaablog, poor Horan went from the messiah on Friday to the pariah on Sunday.

In fairness he had a shocker. Horan has always been brave as a manager - a bit of a gambler. For a start the selection of Hennelly is always a gamble. You factor in his contribution from kick-out and frees is worth more than the possibility/probability even, of a costly blunder. Well, we know how that went yesterday. Playing two on two at the back is another calamity waiting to happen.

macdanger2

Plenty of overreaction as usual, things are neither as rosy as they were after the league final or as bleak as they are now.

For any of the neutrals watching last night, there were two fouls by Roscommon as we were coming out which both received a yellow but one definitely and possibly both looked like blacks to me. What was the neutral opinion on those?

weareros

Quote from: moysider on May 26, 2019, 04:17:28 PM

Disagree. Roscommon's system won the day. Galway will play blanket and Ros. forwards will have an entirely different proposition the next day. Only James Horan could think it is still a good idea ( 7 years after Michael Murphy) to play 2 at the back and a 3 man full forward line. His generosity is legendary.

Based on some comments on Mayogaablog, poor Horan went from the messiah on Friday to the pariah on Sunday.

In fairness he had a shocker. Horan has always been brave as a manager - a bit of a gambler. For a start the selection of Hennelly is always a gamble. You factor in his contribution from kick-out and frees is worth more than the possibility/probability even, of a costly blunder. Well, we know how that went yesterday. Playing two on two at the back is another calamity waiting to happen.

To me Clark has a far worse kickout and I think we would have won a lot more ball if he was playing. While Hennelly had an off day with long range frees, who else has Mayo to put a 45 over. He saved Mayo's Div 1 status 2 years ago when he was putting them over. Wouldn't be too hard on the lad.

Cunny Funt

I didn't see that coming but well done to Roscommon on a hard earned win. I thought Some Mayo players looked shell-shocked by the literally hands-on intensity of some Roscommon players almost like they weren't expecting it?

Gough who i think is one of the better refs  did not have a great day and I thought Ros came out on the wrong side of it,  and could have plenty of complaints if the result went against them.

Roscommon bench was far stronger and made more of a impact but then again on another day Diarmuid Murtagh,Fintan Cregg,Conor Devaney,Donie Smith,Brian Stack and Enda Smith would all be starters so plenty of selection head aches for Cunnigham in 3 weeks. ironic that the match winning score came from one the 2006 minor All Ireland winners.

Mayo should regroup to reach the last 8 few if any sides in the qualifiers will be as strong as Mayo but if they reach the last 8 will need the likes of Boyle,C O Connor,Vaughan back as panel isn't as strong in depth as it was made up to be this spring. 

giveballaghback

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 26, 2019, 05:30:18 PM
Plenty of overreaction as usual, things are neither as rosy as they were after the league final or as bleak as they are now.

For any of the neutrals watching last night, there were two fouls by Roscommon as we were coming out which both received a yellow but one definitely and possibly both looked like blacks to me. What was the neutral opinion on those?
After watching cynical Mayo the last 6 years it would be
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

moysider

Quote from: weareros on May 26, 2019, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 26, 2019, 04:17:28 PM

To me Clark has a far worse kickout and I think we would have won a lot more ball if he was playing. While Hennelly had an off day with long range frees, who else has Mayo to put a 45 over. He saved Mayo's Div 1 status 2 years ago when he was putting them over. Wouldn't be too hard on the lad.

Of course you wouldn't!

Neither am I. He is what he is. Roscommon winning more ball would not have been that critical. It would have meant that Mayo would have got more realistic defensively, instead of a daft, unorganised, scrambled defence we saw all evening.
Horan got sucked into a rope a dope scenario that he didn't have to. From a Mayo point of view it was a train wreck of game management.

larryin89

Of course Mayo defensive structure was inadequate ,stupid and a complete nonsense tbh but Harrison was cleaned and not for the first time in his career .

How can you give that last free to Kevin Mac. He misses simple frees regularly , I can recall one as recent as the last home league game v Monaghan kicking into the Albany end also.conor loftus was on the pitch , Regan shouldn't of been off the pitch for that reason alone .

Bad day at the office for James horan .

Be a lot of unhappy investors from across the Atlantic  .

Well done to Roscommon though better team and I think they are now entitled to be recognised as a better team than Mayo.

The only positive you could take from the weekend is in the context of rebuilding , we only lost by a point and both our u-17&u-20 teams beat Roscommon comfortably.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2019, 06:31:36 AM
Of course Mayo defensive structure was inadequate ,stupid and a complete nonsense tbh but Harrison was cleaned and not for the first time in his career .

How can you give that last free to Kevin Mac. He misses simple frees regularly , I can recall one as recent as the last home league game v Monaghan kicking into the Albany end also.conor loftus was on the pitch , Regan shouldn't of been off the pitch for that reason alone .

Well done to Roscommon though better team and I think they are now entitled to be recognised as a better team than Mayo.

The only positive you could take from the weekend is in the context of rebuilding , we only lost by a point and both our u-17&u-20 teams beat Roscommon comfortably.
It wasn't even a free.

larryin89

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 27, 2019, 07:49:17 AM

It wasn't even a free.

Perhaps it shouldn't of been but it was awarded so it's nowt to do with my point
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2019, 09:08:19 AM

It wasn't even a free.

Perhaps it shouldn't of been but it was awarded so it's nowt to do with my point

He's a bit obsessed with that last free! He'll be ok once it sinks in that Roscommon won the game.

TheGreatest

Didnt see that coming, will hold comment as i can see and hear the discust of Mayo fans. They have been through enough,

However, qualifiers could be blessing.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2019, 09:18:17 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2019, 09:08:19 AM

It wasn't even a free.

He's a bit obsessed with that last free! He'll be ok once it sinks in that Roscommon won the game.
it was the classic GAA referee 'give a chance to tie up the game' instead of just enforcing the rules

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

If someone had shown you the kickout & shooting stats after the game you'd have assumed Mayo would have won by at least 5 or 6 points. I can't recall any other championship match in recent years where the team who dominated both stats ended up getting beat, it shouldn't happen.

Its some achievement by Roscommon to win that game considering how dreadful they were on their own kickouts, won that game despite living on scraps. They kicked 7 points from play, 4 of them were fantastic individual efforts including the 3 from Cox. Roscommon's first goal would remind you of the goal Dublin scored against Mayo in the league, Higgins letting the main inside him but the other Mayo defender in the picture been dragged out of position far too easily, think it was Barrett. Brilliant finish by Cregg in fairness. How has Cox not seen more game time for Kerry in recent years, a huge mistake on their part; I know who'd i'd least like to mark out of JOD, BJ Keane & Cox. I know many had said it but been able to bring on Murtagh & Enda Smith when they were still ahead was a huge boost to those on the pitch, gave them huge belief.

We were told Horan has learned from his time out of the game, wasn't much evidence of that on Saturday night.

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 27, 2019, 12:12:31 PM
If someone had shown you the kickout & shooting stats after the game you'd have assumed Mayo would have won by at least 5 or 6 points. I can't recall any other championship match in recent years where the team who dominated both stats ended up getting beat, it shouldn't happen.

Its some achievement by Roscommon to win that game considering how dreadful they were on their own kickouts, won that game despite living on scraps. They kicked 7 points from play, 4 of them were fantastic individual efforts including the 3 from Cox. Roscommon's first goal would remind you of the goal Dublin scored against Mayo in the league, Higgins letting the main inside him but the other Mayo defender in the picture been dragged out of position far too easily, think it was Barrett. Brilliant finish by Cregg in fairness. How has Cox not seen more game time for Kerry in recent years, a huge mistake on their part; I know who'd i'd least like to mark out of JOD, BJ Keane & Cox.

We were told Horan has learned from his time out of the game, wasn't much evidence of that on Saturday night.

before people  lose the run of them selves about mayo's defensive frailties Roscommon got 7 points from play (at least 3 would fall into miracle category) to mayo's 14 .
the 2 major factor in mayos loss were the  goals and our weakness from free . had Cillian been playing they would have won well or even if if hennelly  had a have decent game from free they would have won ,#
but they didn't and that's how games are won and lost .
Mayo can take a huge amount from Saturday  Darren coen was excellent Plunket really drove thing towards the end and Ruane conformed he is a inter county player ,
on the down side andy looked a bit slow and we still need a full back,
slagging  off Horan at this point is plain stupid
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere