New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof,it is good to see the DUP and Catholic Church coalescing on issues like the conscience clause,gay marriage.In an increasingly secular world, coalescing over religious issues can only be good and reduce sectarianism,the scourge of the Northern part of this island for centuries

Hardy

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM
Regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof,it is good to see the DUP and Catholic Church coalescing on issues like the conscience clause,gay marriage.In an increasingly secular world, coalescing over religious issues can only be good and reduce sectarianism,the scourge of the Northern part of this island for centuries

Tony, you should do stand up.

That is hilarious.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

How can organisations poles apart with disastrous consequences for decades,now co operating,be anything but good news?

thebigfella

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 06:02:22 PM
How can organisations poles apart with disastrous consequences for decades,now co operating,be anything but good news?

Because both organisations are full of cnuts........

brokencrossbar1

Tony as someone who has such a deep interest in religion and politics why don't you set up your own party, a Christian Democratic Conservative Party, totally cross community, totally non-sectarian.  I think it would go down a treat.

T Fearon

So you'd prefer the old order of neither the twain shall meet? That was a great time wasn't it?

tyssam5

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Similar coalition got George W elected in the United States, that worked out well..........

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 06:32:26 PM
So you'd prefer the old order of neither the twain shall meet? That was a great time wasn't it?
Unless there's a positive basis for their coming together, then yes, better they don't bother.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2015, 06:39:39 PM
Unless there's a positive basis for their coming together, then yes, better they don't bother.

I am guessing the basis for this is the evil spectre of gay marriage? Centuries of war and decades of terrorism didn't do it, but gay marriage is a bridge too far it seems.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 06:53:47 PM

I am guessing the basis for this is the evil spectre of gay marriage? Centuries of war and decades of terrorism didn't do it, but gay marriage is a bridge too far it seems.
No, just "gayness" in general it would seem. The DUP is putting forward a bill commonly referred to as a "conscience clause", effectively letting people / businesses discriminate on issues of sexual orientation if an issue runs counter to their beliefs.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2015, 06:57:14 PM

No, just "gayness" in general it would seem. The DUP is putting forward a bill commonly referred to as a "conscience clause", effectively letting people / businesses discriminate on issues of sexual orientation if an issue runs counter to their beliefs.

Hmmm. So if I decide that unionism or religious persuasion or whatever runs contrary to my beliefs, I can discriminate?

MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2015, 06:59:56 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2015, 06:57:14 PM

Hmmm. So if I decide that unionism or religious persuasion or whatever runs contrary to my beliefs, I can discriminate?
No, interestingly enough (unless i'm mistaken) this is only concerned with sexual orientation.

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 06:02:22 PM

Because the cooperating involves discriminating against others.

imtommygunn

The conscience clause is just a pr stunt looking for votes. Can the catholic church not see this?