Time for a GAA quiz

Started by Hardy, May 09, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Homer

Quote from: Doire abú on February 12, 2009, 10:47:06 PM
Name the non-Tyrone/Armagh players with Ulster Senior Football Championship medals who are still playing inter-county football.

Note: this is correct as of last year, maybe a couple of them retired after last year.

Larry had retired in 2008 before deciding to give it another go under Carr this year, probably why you don't have him as an answer.

Anthony Forde was part of the 97 team and played last year but has retired this year (he'll be back yet) so he may be the one you're looking for.

Doire abú

yeah forde's the one i was told.

ONeill

Alan Rodgers poses this in his blog:

First a question for all those who fancy themselves as knowing a little bit about the GAA. A few days ago a colleague, a certain Ronan McSherry, asked me what was the last year no players on either of the four teams in the All-Ireland Senior Finals actually held a coveted senior medal.

I'll let you think about it for a minute before answering. It's one of those questions which seems easy at first before realising just how complicated it actually is. That was certainly what I learned after thinking about possible answers for a while.

The best way to try and figure out and answer is to look through the list of All-Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Finalists. Taking the past three decades as an example, there has always been a time when either of the four teams had won the Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy during the careers of one, more or many of the players involved.

Afterall, Kerry and Dublin dominated football from the mid-seventies, the 1986 hurling final featured a host of Cork and Galway players who had won medals in 1980 and 1984 and John O'Leary and a few of the Offaly players ruled out 1995 as a possibility.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we settled for 1989. Tipperary hadn't won the hurling since 1971 when they played Antrim, while Cork and Mayo had to go back to the early seventies and the fifties respectively since their triumphs. All seemed well until last night when I checked out the four teams and suddenly realised that Cork's lineup included one Teddy McCarthy. He, of course, had won a hurling medal in 1986.

So, it was time to find an alternative and the next best chance was in 1957 when Cork, last winners in 1945 and Louth, last winners in 1910, played in the football and Kilkenny, last winners, in 1947 and Waterford, last winners in 1948, contested the hurling. Now this is far from being scientific and is obviously open to correction, but none of the thirty starting names rang a bell from previous final appearances.

Once again, though, a Cork dual start came into the picture in the form of Eamon Goulding. He had also played in the 1954 All-Ireland Hurling Final whoch Cork won.

Going on the records and the likelihood that players enjoyed reasonmably lengthy careers, I reckon that the most recent year in which no player taking part in an All-Ireland Final had won a medal was 1910. None of the Wexford or Limerick players in the hurling had won one and Louth got a walk-over Kerry in the football.

So, there you are. Now I'm challenging someone to come forward and try and prove me wrong. Look forward to hearing from you.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Can't have been 1910 either, MF Crowe had an All-Ireland for Solo Singing in the Scor.

RedandGreenSniper

Heard a great one the last day. Open to debate but my source is certain there is only one right answer

Four brothers played on the one county football team in the last twenty years (in league/championship). Name them.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AFS

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 22, 2009, 08:24:04 PM
Heard a great one the last day. Open to debate but my source is certain there is only one right answer

Four brothers played on the one county football team in the last twenty years (in league/championship). Name them.

The Kernans did for Armagh against Dublin in the league last year I think.

Have I understood that question right?

RedandGreenSniper

Ah feck. It must be championship so. Kernan's not the one anyway.

So here we go

Four brothers have played an inter-county championship football match together. Name them. Happpened in last ten years

muppet

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2009, 08:39:11 PM
Meehan's?

Well in. Tomas, Declan and Michael all were playing against Louth in 2004 when Noel came off the bench to join them

Louth Exile

Right Lads and Lassies, was at a table quiz about two weeks ago and this question came up:

From 1980 to 2000 which county won the most all ireland senior titles, hurling and football combined?

It was clarified that this could be all football, all hurling or a combination of both.
The answer they gave and stuck to was wrong  >:( Even though they couldn't back it up, yet I could clearly prove that our answer was correct! (Good thing we were 3 back from the winners and not a point, or things could have got interesting!!) Take it as being inclusive of the years mentioned.

Anyway, without using the GAA.ie roll of honour, what are your answers??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

RedandGreenSniper

seafoid

Kilkenny 82 83 92 93 00 02 03 06 07 08 09

Bensars

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2010, 01:51:30 PM
Kilkenny 82 83 92 93 00 02 03 06 07 08 09

It's good but it's not right

T Fearon

Its not even good, it doesn't even answer the question, which clearly had paramters from 1980 to 2000 :D