Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 05, 2014, 09:19:58 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 05, 2014, 08:35:40 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 05, 2014, 08:04:37 AM
Liverpool should rename themselves TNS - The New Saints ;)

They could also be called Southampton Lite or preferably Littlepool.
Well done on an excellent pre season to United and lets hope
they produce it when it counts against Swansea.

Scousehampton?

Nailed it

EC Unique

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 05, 2014, 09:19:58 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 05, 2014, 08:35:40 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 05, 2014, 08:04:37 AM
Liverpool should rename themselves TNS - The New Saints ;)

They could also be called Southampton Lite or preferably Littlepool.
Well done on an excellent pre season to United and lets hope
they produce it when it counts against Swansea.

Scousehampton?

Winner.

take_yer_points

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 05, 2014, 09:09:50 AM
Jones and Smalling were  both very poor it would be a big risk to play with just 3 at the back, and those 2 as part of the 3. A few defenders to be signed by the end of the month I'd imagine.

I thought Evans and Jones were the worst of the trio. At one point Evans played a two yard pass to Smalling on the edge of the box with a Liverpool player beside him (and Smalling miscontrolled and lost it). Made another silly mistake within a minute as well.

Cleverley very quiet as usual when he came on - he offers nothing.

At the other end I can see Stirling having a big year. Can't see what Joe Allen offers - think I noticed him once or twice in just over an hour.

DennistheMenace

Rooney coming back to form nicely and looks much fitter / leaner this summer. Going over to the first game of the season at Old Trafford, expecting a big year ahead.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Jones is a pure tube, really poor stuff.

NAG1

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on August 05, 2014, 11:12:45 AM
Jones is a pure tube, really poor stuff.

None of the three that started at the back last night would inspire me with loads of confidence, especially when playing with wing backs you players with good positional sense. If an attacking move breaks down and the opposition counter attack the spaces are going to be in the full back areas. So each side of the three CB's need to be able to read this and get across and cover the danger or at least slow the counter attack to allow defenders to flood back in and get organised.

All three are jittery on the ball and don't bring it out well enough. At least one experienced defender is required to play along with the pick of the other 3.

Shrewdness

The three in question have always been jittery imo, but what camouflaged it was the fact that they were usually bailed out by Ferdinand and Vidic. But with those two gone with Evra, suddenly Messrs Evans, Smalling and Jones are the main men, which is worrying...,As an aside to that, United played a total of 5 games in the US, and conceded just 4 goals against mostly good opposition. Three of those goals were penalties, with the other being a speculative shot from the half way line... We need two new defenders and a central midfielder asap.

rodney trotter

Think of the 3 Van Gaal wants to build a defence around Evans.
Talk that he is in the frame for captaincy, Espn, Guardian.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 05, 2014, 11:44:00 AM
The three in question have always been jittery imo, but what camouflaged it was the fact that they were usually bailed out by Ferdinand and Vidic. But with those two gone with Evra, suddenly Messrs Evans, Smalling and Jones are the main men, which is worrying...,As an aside to that, United played a total of 5 games in the US, and conceded just 4 goals against mostly good opposition. Three of those goals were penalties, with the other being a speculative shot from the half way line... We need two new defenders and a central midfielder asap.

This is key. Of course only having 3 relatively inexperienced centre backs is a problem (which I'd assume will be addressed) but they're doing ok. Remember Ron Vlaar in the World Cup? He was immense. how come Villa's door hasn't been knocked down to get him? People know that the system helped bring out his best attributes and hide his weaknesses. I think Smalling and Jones have potential but need to be kept in the same position and given confidence (I'm not really a fan of Evans but have seen him play well at times). I'm excited to see what can happen with a good coach trying to develop players.

A couple of new players are still needed though.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 05, 2014, 12:21:33 PM

No way???

How would Rooney/RVP like that......

EC Unique

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 05, 2014, 01:55:24 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 05, 2014, 12:21:33 PM

No way???

How would Rooney/RVP like that......

I think Rooney will get it.

yellowcard

Of Man Utds 3 centre backs I would rank them as : 1)Evans 2)Smalling and 3)Jones. Evans is the most assured of the two. Jones is much too rash and goes to ground far too easily, hes a last ditch backs to the wall defender. Smalling is fairly good positionally but poor with the ball at his feet. Against better sides you need your centre backs to be comfortable on the ball and that is a glaring weakness with the current centre backs.

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM
Of Man Utds 3 centre backs I would rank them as : 1)Evans 2)Smalling and 3)Jones. Evans is the most assured of the two. Jones is much too rash and goes to ground far too easily, hes a last ditch backs to the wall defender. Smalling is fairly good positionally but poor with the ball at his feet. Against better sides you need your centre backs to be comfortable on the ball and that is a glaring weakness with the current centre backs.

The one thing out of the three of them that I would really notice is Smallings poor positioning and timing.  Last year alone he was at fault for a lot of goals such as the Spurs one in January etc.  As for Jones, I think he can only be judged when he gets a good run of games in this position as for too long he has been shifted about (same applies to Smalling).  Evans had a great season two years ago and I think he could excel in this new formation.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM

The one thing out of the three of them that I would really notice is Smallings poor positioning and timing.  Last year alone he was at fault for a lot of goals such as the Spurs one in January etc.  As for Jones, I think he can only be judged when he gets a good run of games in this position as for too long he has been shifted about (same applies to Smalling).  Evans had a great season two years ago and I think he could excel in this new formation.

I'll be very surprised if LVG doesn't invest in at least one CB though. Hummels would be an upgrade on what is there at the moment if he can be bought.

Shrewdness

Mats Hummels would definitely be a top class buy in defence for United, but i can't see it happening. Don't think he'll leave Dortmund this season....A name that is cropping up regularly is Thomas Vermaelen of Arsenal..Barcelona are also linked with him, and to be honest, i'd be inclined to let them have him..He's even injured at the moment.