Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

Both counties are coming into this in a better position than last year.
The expectation is off Roscommon, and they really don't have a lot to lose. They look to be peaking for championship this season rather than the league. Galway have been bleating on all season about consistent performances being their main goal. Hopefully learning from the Tipp loss last season.

Roscommon's forwards versus Galway's full back line would worry me, but I'd say the strength of our bench and being able to make changes with injury/fatigue takes it's toll in 40th minute on will hopefully be the difference. I don't think Roscommon have the largest panel in the world. A sending off, or an injury to a key man could be the difference here.

I'd say Galway will be three point favourites for this. Will be good for the neutral to see players like Comer, Walsh, and the Murtagh's on show.

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 23, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2017, 10:40:12 AM
Jesus Bomber you wouldn't think Tyrone have only one more Sam than Ros.

I'm not a dinosaur. Unless you're a pensioner then you wouldn't remember Roscommon winning an AI.
Most Rossies  would be able to  remember back to when Tyrone was looking for an arse for its trousers

https://youtu.be/cxeAr3n2Ous
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2017, 03:38:04 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 23, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2017, 10:40:12 AM
Jesus Bomber you wouldn't think Tyrone have only one more Sam than Ros.

I'm not a dinosaur. Unless you're a pensioner then you wouldn't remember Roscommon winning an AI.
Most Rossies  would be able to  remember back to when Tyrone was looking for an arse for its trousers

https://youtu.be/cxeAr3n2Ous

Would they?

Was that back when they bought their Ford Anglias?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 23, 2017, 11:34:43 AM
I'm only dealing in facts here and I'm free of bias. If people are intolerant of facts then that's not my problem.
Maybe Roscommon fans need to realise it is not the 1950s and park up their Ford Anglias.
Dealing in facts and what is your problem is you are delicate soul because some Rossie on here upset you about your precious Tyrone. Time for you to move on and away from this topic as lets be honest you probably know more about 1950s Ford Anglias than the ins or outs of Roscommon football.

DJGaliv

Ah lads, I'd be interested in people's views on Galway-Ros. Don't want to be having to click ignore on a load of off topic nonsense

Syferus

Quote from: DJGaliv on June 23, 2017, 05:19:34 PM
Ah lads, I'd be interested in people's views on Galway-Ros. Don't want to be having to click ignore on a load of off topic nonsense

Welcome to GAABoard.com

Maroon Manc

It will be interesting to see what Galway do on Roscommon kick outs, Galway conceded far too many short kickouts to Mayo even in the 1st half despite Mayo not having any extra men back. Galway were just far too slow to react on several occasions and let Mayo get out.

As for Roscommon I haven't a clue what to expect.

Given what happened against Tipp there should be no complacency in the Galway camp.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2017, 05:24:09 PM

Welcome to GAABoard.com

Have been reading it here for last 10 years. Usually you've one lad mouthing off, but if you leave him be he goes quiet. Seems we've more lads arguing.

This is a massive game for both teams. Win and you're in a quarter final. Lose and you could be coming up against Mayo, Donegal or Meath to get back in the hunt. Connacht runners up get drawn against 3A winners I believe

Syferus

Quote from: DJGaliv on June 23, 2017, 05:37:43 PM

Welcome to GAABoard.com

Have been reading it here for last 10 years. Usually you've one lad mouthing off, but if you leave him be he goes quiet. Seems we've more lads arguing.

This is a massive game for both teams. Win and you're in a quarter final. Lose and you could be coming up against Mayo, Donegal or Meath to get back in the hunt. Connacht runners up get drawn against 3A winners I believe

Meath and Donegal aren't great shakes tbh and if the losers actually have a two week break they can give them a good rattle. I doubt Galway would like to see Mayo yet again so soon, though. For us it doesn't really matter, to get to a QF we have to beat a decent team in a big game in one of two possible chances, something we haven't done in a while. Anything else and the year is indeed a failure. People think there's not much pressure on us this year but not making a third very reachable QF on the trot is going to be a killer.

If it's a rare fine day in Salthill I'd expect a good match. I don't see our lads captipulating like in McHale because that memory and a much more settled panel will drive them on. We have some excellent attacking footballers and if they have the stomach for the physical exchanges there's not much to fear heading to Salthill.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2017, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on June 23, 2017, 05:37:43 PM

Welcome to GAABoard.com

Meath and Donegal aren't great shakes tbh and if the losers actually have a two week break they can give them a good rattle. I doubt Galway would like to see Mayo yet again so soon, though. For us it doesn't really matter, to get to a QF we have to beat a decent team in a big game in one of two possible chances, something we haven't done in a while. Anything else and the year is indeed a failure. People think there's not much pressure on us this year but not making a third very reachable QF on the trot is going to be a killer.

If it's a rare fine day in Salthill I'd expect a good match. I don't see our lads captipulating like in McHale because that memory and a much more settled panel will drive them on. We have some excellent attacking footballers and if they have the stomach for the physical exchanges there's not much to fear heading to Salthill.

That's a good point. we don't need to be playing Mayo again so soon. I don't see Ros capitulating, and I don't see Galway underestimating them either. That's why it'll make for a close game. Next year this game will be a Super 8 decider.

With regard kickout strategy, I think that we will push up on Ros with Damo Comer a good organiser and leader in at full forward. There are a few Galway forwards that don't seem to switch on when they have to hassle a lad or mark up on kickouts. Instead they seem to be just happy to get goal side and be passive which isn't a good thing. I think with Comer up there as a leader we should be more shrewd.

Rossfan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 23, 2017, 05:29:53 PM

As for Roscommon I haven't a clue what to expect.

Neither have we!
We looked good against Laythrum but sure wouldn't anyone ( sadly).
We don't know if we're going to hit the ground running and play hell altogether, or get a hockeying like last year or just lose a high scoring shootout.
No real pressure on Ros once we don't get destroyed like 2016.
A decent showing and we'll not be too unhappy about the result.
But then again you'd never know, on the day, bounce of the ball or bit o' luck etc etc.
Feck it it's all to play for....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

The way the draw is, lose and you could be playing Mayo, win and you could be playing Mayo. A difficult round 4 and 1/4 final faces both teams. Although I had a read of the Western People this week and there was a big story in there by John Cuffe saying the current team is finished, and time to develop a new team. But that's for another day. Although unlikely, I hope it's a nice day in Salthill and we get a shootout. But I even remember the 2009 Connacht final in Salthill cos Ros were in the minor and there was still a very strong breeze blowing even though the day itself was lovely. If we get a shootout, I'd be confident we could outscore Galway. But I think Kevin Walsh will setup defensively and hope to hit our suspect defence on the counter attack. While we didn't know it at the time, the joint management of McStay and Fergal O'Donnell had two different football philosophies and things had broken down by the Connacht Final last year. We'll definitely bring a more coherent game plan to Salthill, so optimistic to an extent. Biggest worry is a lack of depth in some positions. It's a tremendous opportunity for our young team to break the cycle of false dawns.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 23, 2017, 05:09:02 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 23, 2017, 11:34:43 AM
I'm only dealing in facts here and I'm free of bias. If people are intolerant of facts then that's not my problem.
Maybe Roscommon fans need to realise it is not the 1950s and park up their Ford Anglias.
Dealing in facts and what is your problem is you are delicate soul because some Rossie on here upset you about your precious Tyrone. Time for you to move on and away from this topic as lets be honest you probably know more about 1950s Ford Anglias than the ins or outs of Roscommon football.

I'm anything but delicate. I'm a pragmatist and deal in substance over style, this is nothing personal, it just happens that Roscommon get an awful lot of hot air wrote about them and a lot of that is from themselves. The sensitive souls are actually from guys like yourself who don't want valid criticism put in front of them.

What do you think I have said about Roscommon that is untrue or unfair? Be specific as well.I won't be giving empathetic cuddles because you lads got carried away with yourselves, I'll say it as it is and that would seem to be your problem - hyper sensitivity.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on June 23, 2017, 06:55:19 PM
The way the draw is, lose and you could be playing Mayo, win and you could be playing Mayo. A difficult round 4 and 1/4 final faces both teams. Although I had a read of the Western People this week and there was a big story in there by John Cuffe saying the current team is finished, and time to develop a new team. But that's for another day. Although unlikely, I hope it's a nice day in Salthill and we get a shootout. But I even remember the 2009 Connacht final in Salthill cos Ros were in the minor and there was still a very strong breeze blowing even though the day itself was lovely. If we get a shootout, I'd be confident we could outscore Galway. But I think Kevin Walsh will setup defensively and hope to hit our suspect defence on the counter attack. While we didn't know it at the time, the joint management of McStay and Fergal O'Donnell had two different football philosophies and things had broken down by the Connacht Final last year. We'll definitely bring a more coherent game plan to Salthill, so optimistic to an extent. Biggest worry is a lack of depth in some positions. It's a tremendous opportunity for our young team to break the cycle of false dawns.

I dunno how suspect our midfield is tbh. If we could spare him I'd have Enda on the wing but he gets so much space playing the middle there's a case to be made for playing him there anyways. Certainly creates a mismatch with almost any midfielder, who has little chance keeping up with him. TOR I think has had a very good debut season, a workhorse midfielder who breaks ball and has a great workrate. I think both compliment each other, and would say we haven't had a more stable pairing since 2014 when Shine and Higgins were at their very best. Physically I don't think they're overmatched against Flynn and FOC, it's more dealing with Conry that would be my issue for us around the middle third.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2017, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 23, 2017, 06:55:19 PM

I dunno how suspect our midfield is tbh. If we could spare him I'd have Enda on the wing but he gets so much space playing the middle there's a case to be made for playing him there anyways. Certainly creates a mismatch with almost any midfielder, who has little chance keeping up with him. TOR I think has had a very good debut season, a workhorse midfielder who breaks ball and has a great workrate. I think both compliment each other, and would say we haven't had a more stable pairing since 2014 when Shine and Higgins were at their very best. Physically I don't think they're overmatched against Flynn and FOC, it's more dealing with Conry that would be my issue for us around the middle third.

No I'm happy with our midfield. It's the most athletic and mobile we've ever had. What worries me is if one picks up an injury, given that Corcoran is out for the year, and Compton is very misfortunate with injuries, and Higgins had to retire from intercounty because of strain of injuries.