Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theboss11

Quote from: Jonkunlon on June 17, 2023, 08:59:25 PM
After watching the Junior Feis Final in Dunloy tonight, you wonder how some referees get the games they get. That was an embarrassment. The crowd were dismayed from start to finish at his unashamed bias. How the Armoy players kept their cool I have no idea. Ruined a potentially good game between two well matched teams.

Watched this game, couldn't believe the refereeing display. I think I counted 6 Cloughmills free's in the first 5 minutes of the second half which is crazy considering the ball would only have been in play for less than half that time. Not much hurling actually played which was a shame. Waiting for the match report to see how many was actually scored from play, my guess would be 3 out of 18 points.
One of the problems with the rural areas is that the ref could be from a mile outside either teams village and probably drink in the same pub, one thing is for sure is the referee tonight deserved to do the trophy lift and get the first drink out of the cup.

Jonkunlon

He gave the first free from his own throw in to restart the 2nd half. Both sets of players were bemused. The players from both teams just wanted to hurl. There were two bad tackles the whole game. Late tackle by Armoy wing back - yellow card. Stick broke over the Armoy corner back's leg  -  no free even given let alone card.

imtommygunn

McManus retired. What a career. Up there with our best ever if not our best.

Big loss but hopefully we have enough coming through to back it up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2023, 08:46:31 AM
McManus retired. What a career. Up there with our best ever if not our best.

Big loss but hopefully we have enough coming through to back it up.

One of the best for sure, any position, teak tough with some of the finest touches you'll see in the game, I remember a game at Sarsfields in the championship and the lay off for a goal was something else, I'm still not sure it was legal  ;D but brilliant all the same

Plenty of miles on the clock for Neil at County level, hopefully a few more seasons with his club to try and get another championship medal.

The rigors of playing for the county for so long take its toll, its a young man's game!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Too many injuries this year probably helped make up his mind. Hopefully a few years in him at club yet. That era of player were very good - McManus, Graffin, McAuley, Shorty etc.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2023, 09:13:50 AM
Too many injuries this year probably helped make up his mind. Hopefully a few years in him at club yet. That era of player were very good - McManus, Graffin, McAuley, Shorty etc.

And a youngster now too
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NorthAntrim

If you listen to the podcast he says this year has been a good year injury wise. Although past 4 or 5 years they have mounted up. Niblock asking a 35 year old with a young child over and over about why he didnt go again is annoying. Man has gave his whole life to antrim hurling. The boost he'll bring to Cushendall at the start of pre season next year will be unreal

toby47

Quote from: NorthAntrim on June 21, 2023, 10:39:19 AM
If you listen to the podcast he says this year has been a good year injury wise. Although past 4 or 5 years they have mounted up. Niblock asking a 35 year old with a young child over and over about why he didnt go again is annoying. Man has gave his whole life to antrim hurling. The boost he'll bring to Cushendall at the start of pre season next year will be unreal

Jeez Tommy really wouldn't let it go lol. He had him tortured with the same question/point for the first half hour.

imtommygunn

It definitely felt like he was injured a right bit this year but then there have been one or two other years where he missed a good lot of the season. (The first kerry win in the joe mcdonagh springs to mind).

NorthAntrim

1 league game and 1 championship game missed this year i think he quoted. Which isnt too bad. Maybe played v KK? Strapped up and came off injured too. Missed galway in champ and Tipp in league i think he said

NorthAntrim

Muscle injuries happen. No matter what age. Hes avoided any major hip/knee injures (to my knowledge) which are common so all in all a healthy enough career and a good few years left with the club. I'd be surprised if he didnt hurl until hes 40

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NorthAntrim on June 21, 2023, 12:50:43 PM
Muscle injuries happen. No matter what age. Hes avoided any major hip/knee injures (to my knowledge) which are common so all in all a healthy enough career and a good few years left with the club. I'd be surprised if he didnt hurl until hes 40

At Senior level 40 will be no bother for him, Karl must have played some part at senior well into his 40's? and there is always the reserves for a bitta craic and no pressure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I don't think McKeegan lasted quite as long as that - 37 or 38 i think. I think he was still lining out at "z squad" even last year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2023, 02:13:54 PM
I don't think McKeegan lasted quite as long as that - 37 or 38 i think. I think he was still lining out at "z squad" even last year.

Kids these days!!! I was playing up to 48 lol!! When I say playing......

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2023, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2023, 02:13:54 PM

Kids these days!!! I was playing up to 48 lol!! When I say playing......

still maybe games available at div 2 reserve yet? or has that ship sailed?