Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

seafoid

Scottish soccer is in a trough due to the money imbalance with the EPL. Things like this are never permanent. It goes in cycles.
In the late 90s Mark Hateley and Trevor Steven played with Rangers when the gap was narrower. 

An Watcher

Half the England start team were rangers,butcher, Steven, Stevens, Hateley, Woods,

Main Street

Quote from: smelmoth on June 07, 2023, 07:05:47 AM
Quote from: ned on June 06, 2023, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2023, 01:53:52 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 01:27:20 PM
The standard in the English championship is significantly above the SPL.

Celtic can only beat the teams in front of them. But would the bottom half of the SPL survive a season in the English championship? And if relegated from it would they bounce back?

Celtic isn't the problem. It's Scottish football that's the problem.

The bit that baffles me is those that say Celtic or Rangers are a big as large English sides and would thrive in England if only they had access to the money. Whilst I can see the appeal of that argument it fails to address the point that Celtic/Rangers are not in the EPL, they don't have access to the money and therefore the players and don't play against the quality of opposition. The product people are watching is not the team that Celtic/Rangers could be or the contests they could be involved in in some theoretical future. It's the Celtic/Rangers of today. Mediocre players in mediocre teams battering utterly useless teams.

But yes. If run well and granted access to the EPL Celtic or Rangers could ride high like Newcastle or if run badly could be a Leeds. But they are stuck where they are and I can't see why anybody pays them any notice. It's not as if there isn't a better quality product available just as easily.

really?

Well not any football reason why they would pay them any notice

You are commenting on something you obviously dont know much about. Every home game you will have several thousand supporters from outside Scotland going to see Celtic.

I do t think your post makes any sense.

I'm fully aware of people travelling from outside Scotland. But that doesn't address any of the points I was making.
The SPL is ranked 9th in European coefficients and that's about right, there's  a bit of a gap to get inside the top 8. However, Celtic as a club are among the elite, re fan base, match attendance, diaspora, club ethos, tradition,  same with Rangers, only a few clubs in the EPL could compete with Celtic & Rangers on those terms,  money and EPL standing does not elevate a club such as Newcastle above Rangers and Celtic.

Applesisapples

If you don't like the SPL don't watch it. The PL would be shite if it wasn't for the foreign money and Sky/BT funds bringing in players fro around the world. Ange just proved that he is motivated by money and that's his prerogative so much for we never quit. Fair play to him though he will earn more at Tottenham in 2 years than he would have earned at Celtic in the next 4 which was probably his limit. He's a professional manager with little or no emotional attachment.

statto

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2023, 10:42:00 AM
If you don't like the SPL don't watch it. The PL would be shite if it wasn't for the foreign money and Sky/BT funds bringing in players fro around the world. Ange just proved that he is motivated by money and that's his prerogative so much for we never quit. Fair play to him though he will earn more at Tottenham in 2 years than he would have earned at Celtic in the next 4 which was probably his limit. He's a professional manager with little or no emotional attachment.

What would Ange have been on at Celtic vs what he would get at Spurs?  While he got the spurs job by default, the fact he plays a decent brand of football may get him some buy in from Spurs fans certainly initially.  Conte/Mourinho were brought in as serial winners and couldn't get the job done and there was frustrations around the style of play.  Can see this playing out as "sure he only won in Scotland should never have got the job etc" similar to Gerrard when things went belly up at Villa as Spurs would appear to be a poison chalice. 

If he didn't take the chance with Spurs he could have been accused of lack of ambition?  What is the glass ceiling for a Celtic Manager?

Celtic supporters responded in a similar fashion when Rodgers left slating manager who had did a great job. 

NAG1

There is nothing for me to suggest that he won't be a success at Spurs. He completely reset the culture at Celtic in a very short space of time. He worked to a very clear system that the players were expected to buy into. He wanted to play from the back and play with an intensity.

All of these things will be welcomed by Spurs fans. Whether or not he can be as successful in the transfer market at a higher level remains to be seen, especially since spurs don't have a DOF in place any more.

I can get why Celtic fans are a bit aggrieved but don't think anyone would begrudge him a crack at a top 6 team in the best league around.

tonto1888

Quote from: statto on June 08, 2023, 12:04:24 PM

What would Ange have been on at Celtic vs what he would get at Spurs?  While he got the spurs job by default, the fact he plays a decent brand of football may get him some buy in from Spurs fans certainly initially.  Conte/Mourinho were brought in as serial winners and couldn't get the job done and there was frustrations around the style of play.  Can see this playing out as "sure he only won in Scotland should never have got the job etc" similar to Gerrard when things went belly up at Villa as Spurs would appear to be a poison chalice. 

If he didn't take the chance with Spurs he could have been accused of lack of ambition?  What is the glass ceiling for a Celtic Manager?

Celtic supporters responded in a similar fashion when Rodgers left slating manager who had did a great job.

Slightly different with Rodgers given he left us in the lurch mid season

statto

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 08, 2023, 12:27:25 PM

Fair enough. 

clarshack

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 08, 2023, 12:27:25 PM

It would have been more than mid season when he left as it was around the end of Feb/start of March when he left I think.  He only had to see out another couple of months to keep his legend status at Celtic.

Applesisapples

I'm not bitching about him leaving, I understand why he has to capitalise on his potential. I'm just a bit sick of the "we never stop" mantra and purported love of the club. Be honest it's a job I'll do the best I can and move on. Celtic fans are too quick to deify managers who always let them down.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2023, 02:25:16 PM

I'm not bitching about him leaving, I understand why he has to capitalise on his potential. I'm just a bit sick of the "we never stop" mantra and purported love of the club. Be honest it's a job I'll do the best I can and move on. Celtic fans are too quick to deify managers who always let them down.

Did he say he was staying for life? f**k me! It's a job and and any fool that stays in a lesser paying job with the same pressures needs their heads looked at
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ned

As apples said it wasn't him leaving, it was what he said, especially in the last two weeks, that has riled a lot of supporters.
Celtic supporters knew this was likely to happen but most thought maybe in a year or two. I don't begrudge him taking the opportunity and in the end it all happened very swiftly. Up until April Ange may not have thought his chance would have come so soon but he had to take it when it presented. What we have experienced in the past 2 years has been brilliant.

marty34

Quote from: ned on June 08, 2023, 05:41:33 PM
As apples said it wasn't him leaving, it was what he said, especially in the last two weeks, that has riled a lot of supporters.
Celtic supporters knew this was likely to happen but most thought maybe in a year or two. I don't begrudge him taking the opportunity and in the end it all happened very swiftly. Up until April Ange may not have thought his chance would have come so soon but he had to take it when it presented. What we have experienced in the past 2 years has been brilliant.

He said "people will be surprised how long I'm here" i.e. at Celtic.

Not sure what to take from that.  I think he's ok as a manager but got found out in Europe big time.  Leaked goals defensively and couldn't set up a team away feom home so he has a lot to do in terms of improvement.

His motto is 'we don't stop' but his gung ho attitude isn't good in Europe.  Teams in Premiership will be a big step up so he needs to learn quickly.  He bought some duds but every manager does this.

Be interesting to see who he buys - will he take any Celtic players with him?

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2023, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: ned on June 08, 2023, 05:41:33 PM

He said "people will be surprised how long I'm here" i.e. at Celtic.

Not sure what to take from that.  I think he's ok as a manager but got found out in Europe big time.  Leaked goals defensively and couldn't set up a team away feom home so he has a lot to do in terms of improvement.

His motto is 'we don't stop' but his gung ho attitude isn't good in Europe.  Teams in Premiership will be a big step up so he needs to learn quickly.  He bought some duds but every manager does this.

Be interesting to see who he buys - will he take any Celtic players with him?
The most important metric in soccer is the value of the squad. The squads of Celtic and Rangers are worth 120m

Shaktar are worth 104m
Leipzig are worth 487m
Real are worth 860m

Other third ranked teams
RB Salzburg 227m
Sporting CP 234m
Sevilla 209m

Celtic were lucky to get a team from Eastern Europe. Maybe they could have beaten Shaktar in 2 years' time with experience.
But they wouldn't beat Salzburg or Sevilla because they don't have the same budget .

By the same token Rangers could never beat Liverpool.

bennydorano

See social media posts saying Maresca is our man, to be announced after the CL Final