New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Would it be expensive or boring to do a weeks holiday there for four (with Mrs Boots and two teenagers)?  Could we pick up some sports (preferably baseball) for a reasonable price.  Most importantly would it be possible to avoid 'shopping'?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Yes (unless you stay out in Queens or Jersey, which is doable with the excellent public transport), absolutely not (New York - boring?!!!), probably, absolutely impossible if there's a woman in the party.

Billys Boots

Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Walter Cronc

Right Hardy, answer mine there :D

Rois

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 19, 2014, 11:10:39 AM
How long would you need to visit the City and maybe a day or 2 down the coast?

Would a week cover it or would you need the 10 days? Any idea on budgets?
We covered loads in 3 nights in NYC - stayed in Sheraton on 7th Av and got it through Hotwire for about £400 - stayed early December.  There was plenty we didn't get to see of course but we did the major tourist things.  We combined with a trip to Florida (Miami and the Keys) and the flights were about £550 each from Belfast, connecting in NY to Miami. 

Mikhailov

WC, a week would cover NYC easily especially if you staying in the city area. All the tourist things (Rockerfella, Empire state, central park, 9/11, times sq) can be done in 2/3 days. A lot can be done in 1 day if you prepared for it - early morning to late night. The water taxi takes you out to Statue of Liberty and can drop u off in lower manhattan beside 9/11. It is a great city, 3-5 days will cover it and then you have 3-4 days down shore in Atlantic city or similar. Hope you some $ with you however...

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rois on March 19, 2014, 12:49:18 PM

We covered loads in 3 nights in NYC - stayed in Sheraton on 7th Av and got it through Hotwire for about £400 - stayed early December.  There was plenty we didn't get to see of course but we did the major tourist things.  We combined with a trip to Florida (Miami and the Keys) and the flights were about £550 each from Belfast, connecting in NY to Miami. 

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 19, 2014, 02:28:22 PM

WC, a week would cover NYC easily especially if you staying in the city area. All the tourist things (Rockerfella, Empire state, central park, 9/11, times sq) can be done in 2/3 days. A lot can be done in 1 day if you prepared for it - early morning to late night. The water taxi takes you out to Statue of Liberty and can drop u off in lower manhattan beside 9/11. It is a great city, 3-5 days will cover it and then you have 3-4 days down shore in Atlantic city or similar. Hope you some $ with you however...

Thanks guys!! :)

Hardy

Not really possible to answer how long it would take. You could spend your life in NYC and still have something to do the next day.

My rule of thumb would be to forget about the tourist set pieces as far as possible (OK, you probably have to do a few) and concentrate on living in the city for however long you're there - a weekend or a month. Breakfast in diners, eat where the locals eat, sandwiches in delis or the 4-inchers you get in the Blarney Stone or the like, hot dogs from a street barrow, wander around the Village and other neighbourhoods, use the subway, have a beer or six in McSorleys, explore Central Park, Washington Square (maybe have a game of chess) and a hundred other places, etc., etc.

One suggestion is to google things like "10 best <whatever> in NYC" - breakfasts, diners, Irish Bars (please do not confuse with "Irish Bars" - the NYC Irish Bar is an Irish-American bar and nothing like an "Irish Bar" in the Costa del Puke), seafood places (try the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station ), music shops (Tower records, Washington Square, Village Music Shop Bleecker Street), gay bars, whatever you're into.

heganboy

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 19, 2014, 02:28:22 PM
A lot can be done in 1 day if you prepared for it - early morning to late night. T

Thats one hell of a day- I'm living here 12 years and I haven't seen the half of it!

If you want to see the main tourist draws, then yes you can squeeze a lot in 24 hours with a bit of planning. The subway system really compresses the travel time required in the city.

Hav you tried airbnb for somewhere to stay?

I can't think of a good reason to go to AC unless you love to gamble.

Their are really cheap flights from NYC to anywhere in the US if you plan and book well enough in advance.

If there are any questions you think I can help with- PM me.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

aontroim abu

Bump

Thinking of heading there in April with the good lady, any tips (apart from those already posted)

Norf Tyrone

Folks

Heading to new York in a few weeks time with two children. I was reading that a taxi from JFK to Manhatten would be $55 which is not too bad. Alternatively the subway is around $10 - $12 for the 4 of us.

I'd prefer the taxi for convenience reasons. What's the odds of not getting ripped off with a higher that $55 bill?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

majestic

Pretty sure the odds are zero - as the yellow cabs are a fixed fee to and from JFK! There are some privately run taxi companies that are more expensive! But reckon you should be safe enough if you stick with the yellow ones.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

heganboy

über is a good alternative :
https://www.uber.com/cities/new-york

look down at the bottom of the page for the flat rates for the different types of vehicle, pick one that suits the amount of gear you need to take with you to manage 2 kids...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

muppet

MWWSI 2017