Leinster Club Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, August 19, 2018, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Is that what they said it was officially? I felt it was more like double that with more on top. Very dodgy. I'm always suspicious when I see a turnstile that doesn't stop.

Seale is a different player to the one who first went in. Things didn't work out back then, but I hope we can get him on board. He's very good. I'd have no problem putting Saunders straight into the Senior set up either. He has the makings of a special player. Kieran Lillis has improved beyond all recognition as a result of his commitment to Laois, and I don't believe that Portlaoise can get over the line in Leinster without some help. I think next year is their last throw of the dice and I would urge them all to think about that and how they can improve that last percentage or two. There is very little wrong with Portlaoise, but their marquee players will never be ready unless they go hard for a whole campaign.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: High Fielder on November 26, 2018, 11:45:36 PM
Is that what they said it was officially? I felt it was more like double that with more on top. Very dodgy. I'm always suspicious when I see a turnstile that doesn't stop.

To be honest I was surprised at 1200 looked far larger than that.  Extremely suspect !

portlaoisekid

Tough result to take, in reality Portlaoise were always on the back foot. They didn't settle and really giving up 1-10 in the first half was too much.

There were some fine performances but our forwards never clicked and some awful wides and kicks into keeper and fullbacks hands crippled us.

Apparently Malachys future is very much up in the air. I hope he stays on because Portlaoise are not far away but some changes are needed to win a Leinster.

Laoiseabu

Was this Bruno's last roll of the dice? Portlaoise are going to get it very hard to replace a player of his caliber. Can't help but feel the days of them challenging for a club all Ireland are almost behind us . Many decent youngsters coming through In the town?

High Fielder

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 27, 2018, 08:55:57 AM
Tough result to take, in reality Portlaoise were always on the back foot. They didn't settle and really giving up 1-10 in the first half was too much.

There were some fine performances but our forwards never clicked and some awful wides and kicks into keeper and fullbacks hands crippled us.

Apparently Malachys future is very much up in the air. I hope he stays on because Portlaoise are not far away but some changes are needed to win a Leinster.

I hope he stays. The margin between success and failure is too small to walk away from. Unfortunately, there are a number of factors preventing them from achieving what they want to, and just as one problem gets sorted, another one surfaces. A few years ago, it was midfield and the back line that worried me, now it's the forwards. Also, the fact that the opposition changes most years is not helping.

I'd be very confident that Portlaoise would beat Crokes next week, because they know now the type of challenge they'd be facing and could prepare accordingly. To say that Kilmacud was a step up on anything they faced this year would be a huge understatement, whereas they would have played and beaten strong teams to get out of Dublin. But that's the size of the task and the GAA world we live in right now. Hand on heart, I think the ship might have sailed, purely because I think Bruno is reaching the end and good scoring forwards (Cahillane aside) don't seem to be there. Bruno is almost impossible to replace, and in many ways, you would have to reinvent the wheel if he wasn't there. Any chance you could give a Garda a good home for a couple of years or just go shopping elsewhere in the county? I'm told anything goes with the right utility bill in your back pocket.

Don Draper

Would you not prefer to win it with your own?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: High Fielder on November 27, 2018, 11:06:52 PM

I hope he stays. The margin between success and failure is too small to walk away from. Unfortunately, there are a number of factors preventing them from achieving what they want to, and just as one problem gets sorted, another one surfaces. A few years ago, it was midfield and the back line that worried me, now it's the forwards. Also, the fact that the opposition changes most years is not helping.

I'd be very confident that Portlaoise would beat Crokes next week, because they know now the type of challenge they'd be facing and could prepare accordingly. To say that Kilmacud was a step up on anything they faced this year would be a huge understatement, whereas they would have played and beaten strong teams to get out of Dublin. But that's the size of the task and the GAA world we live in right now. Hand on heart, I think the ship might have sailed, purely because I think Bruno is reaching the end and good scoring forwards (Cahillane aside) don't seem to be there. Bruno is almost impossible to replace, and in many ways, you would have to reinvent the wheel if he wasn't there. Any chance you could give a Garda a good home for a couple of years or just go shopping elsewhere in the county? I'm told anything goes with the right utility bill in your back pocket.
Portlaoise will be fine, we were not far away on Sunday and have plenty of young lads coming through.The team is of a great age and our time will come.

With regards taking lads from the rest of the county its not a route the club will be going down, there have been a few that have tried to move over the past few years but the club have politely declined.

High Fielder

I was being a little tongue in cheek, but I do feel you have some shortcomings. I would never single players out, but there was one very obvious example on Sunday of the step up in grade and not being able to cope with that. There were 3 or 4 in total who in my opinion were just a bit shy at this level.

There are other factors too. Key players getting older. Dual players. Conditioning. The lack of competition in Laois. The mental scarring left by Dublin teams. I could go on. The difference in strength was noticeable on Sunday, particularly in the forwards. Too many times, lads were bottled up and turned over or forced into Hail Mary attempts.

Your time may indeed come and I genuinely hope it does, but changes would have to happen and quickly for this current team. The size of the task becomes bigger with every passing year, and realistically you're looking at Dublin sides who would probably hold their own with a lot of county teams. It would take a club the size of Portlaoise to meet that challenge, but importantly, they have a financial edge which allows them access to facilities and development well beyond our wildest dreams. So there are road blocks at every turn and the Dublin GAA climate is progressing rapidly.

The PRO

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2018, 08:29:09 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 27, 2018, 11:06:52 PM

Portlaoise will be fine, we were not far away on Sunday and have plenty of young lads coming through.The team is of a great age and our time will come.

With regards taking lads from the rest of the county its not a route the club will be going down, there have been a few that have tried to move over the past few years but the club have politely declined.
To be fair, there was also a few you didn't politely decline. And I'd have great time for Portlaoise club.

Don Draper

Seeing as Portlaoise people raised this subject, I'm curious, why do they politely decline some, and go to the DRA for others?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2018, 10:19:33 AM
Seeing as Portlaoise people raised this subject, I'm curious, why do they politely decline some, and go to the DRA for others?
They were established at other clubs and at county level in 2 cases. They had no association with Portlaoise.

Yes players have arrived from outside town in the past and were warmly received.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2018, 10:30:20 AM
They were established at other clubs and at county level in 2 cases. They had no association with Portlaoise.

Yes players have arrived from outside town in the past and were warmly received.
And the DRA?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2018, 10:31:55 AM

And the DRA?
Portlaoise people who want to play for their club.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2018, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2018, 10:31:55 AM

And the DRA?
Portlaoise people who want to play for their club.
You're a gas heure :)

Don Draper

Say what you like, thats another missed opportunity.