Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClubScene13

That Monaghan loss does not look great in the cold light of day after what Derry done to them. Should qualify ok with Westmeath in the group but the squad really needs to build momentum over those 3 games. Three good performances and being able to say we played rightly there could be as important as what the final scorelines say.

Fuzzman

I've been watching a lot of old games on Youtube and was thinking how little we have really used the tactic of high ball into the box.
If you look how often a high ball kicked in (either on purpose or especially dropped short) often leads to a goal.

With big McGleenan now on the panel surely this is worth a proper try as a tactic and not just do what a lot of teams do and play a big man in there but rarely hit it in properly. Even if he doesn't catch it for the mark, he can punch it over or create space for the corner forwards.

I know it sounds almost too obvious but how often have we really used this tactic. Goals win matches and often goal chances are hard to come by with yer mass defences these days.
in the 2018 AI final we put big Colm in there for 15 mins near the end but didnt kick that many balls into him. The one we did we got a penalty out of it.

I'd say Dazza and Canavan would enjoy having a big man causing havoc in there.

inroundthesquare

Should be trying a few against Galway for sure as their weakness is the keeper position and lack of height in their full back line

tyrone08

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 08, 2023, 05:20:02 PM
I've been watching a lot of old games on Youtube and was thinking how little we have really used the tactic of high ball into the box.
If you look how often a high ball kicked in (either on purpose or especially dropped short) often leads to a goal.

With big McGleenan now on the panel surely this is worth a proper try as a tactic and not just do what a lot of teams do and play a big man in there but rarely hit it in properly. Even if he doesn't catch it for the mark, he can punch it over or create space for the corner forwards.

I know it sounds almost too obvious but how often have we really used this tactic. Goals win matches and often goal chances are hard to come by with yer mass defences these days.
in the 2018 AI final we put big Colm in there for 15 mins near the end but didnt kick that many balls into him. The one we did we got a penalty out of it.

I'd say Dazza and Canavan would enjoy having a big man causing havoc in there.

Fully agree. Think Colm won us 1-1 that time in 2018.eith Kennedy and con we should be putting in 6 or 8 high balls every game.

An Watcher

Is that not a tactic we've been trying to use this year.  Kennedy got the penalty v monaghan in yhe league and big Kilpatrick is in there regularly enough

NotedObserver

Match ups against Galway is going to be v difficult as all their forwards need marked alonf with half back line.
Prob best if you can put them on the back foot but don't think Tyrone have the half backs to do this

Stan

I'm surprised at the silence on the entire forum about the Nicola Gallagher story this week? I'm pretty sure that everyone has been kept well up to speed on what has been going on with the Derry Manager.******
(Know now that the conversation has been had over on the Armagh Derry page.)

The truth might be somewhere in the middle of it all but I'm yet to hear one good character reference for him - either from players, friends, pundits or people that have known him from his time in Fermanagh and Donegal...as a footballer or as a recruitment professional

DV is a scourge in this country - GAA men are venerated. DJ Carey recently and a load of other before him. They are not role models nor heroes.

They are flawed like us all.

Difficult position for the GAA - locally and nationally and yet again their comments are late and very tame - legal reasons as good a defence as they will need.

There should be an unequivocal position on domestic abuse from Dublin, Provincial, county and club level.

These victims are our daughters, sisters, friends, mothers, aunts - neighbours. Camogs, ladies footballers. whatever

There shouldn't be any hiding place for this kind of behaviour. period.

Innocent until proven guilty? A counter press release suggests that the PSNI / PPS couldn't pursue the case up here but doesn't cover Nicola's allegations about incidents in Clones, Sligo and Donegal.

That would be a Garda issue. Interesting to hear their views on this.

In truth, I'm less concerned about the Derry Manager.

Nicola has been a victim it would seem for 24 years - and I would be more concerned that she now gets the support, counselling and care that has been absent. She poured her heart out on Facebook - how desperate must things be for someone to resort to that?

I know how I would feel as a Tyrone fan if the accusations had been levelled at our manager...past, present or future.

Investigation should begin immediately.

In my opinion Rory Gallagher needs to not be viisble this sunday afternoon. Let him not be the centre of attention at one of our sports greatest fixtures - give him the time he needs to fully defend his reputation, sue for slander or whatever he is being advised to do.

Our code has been taken into disrepute and either the Ulster council or Dublin needs to sort that out before Sunday.

clarshack

It has and is being discussed at length on the Armagh v Derry Ulster Final thread.

Stan

Quote from: clarshack on May 11, 2023, 10:57:38 PM
It has and is being discussed at length on the Armagh v Derry Ulster Final thread.

Ah ok - I didn't see that - genuinely had only looked at the Derry page.

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

BrotherMore6592

Salthill next week will hopefully be a cracker. Big championship performance needed after two very limp performances last year, along with a terrible second half this year v Monaghan

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: time ticking away on May 14, 2023, 07:03:49 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 30, 2023, 05:14:54 PM
Mickey Harte.

Not his finest day

Louth were probably over hyped by some going into today. Had a handy run to the final and had Offaly shown a bit more composure at the end of the semi then they would have won. Indeed, the way Louth didn't seem sure what to with a handy lead late on in that game was a little reminiscent of Tyrone teams in the last few years under Mickey. Regardless of today and whatever else happens this summer he has done a great job there.

Will be fascinating to see Tyrone emerge from cold storage next week. I didn't think Derry or Armagh were particularly impressive today but they've had a few matches, something we could probably have done with. Hard to hit the ground running now but hopefully the last few weeks have been used well.

CK_Redhand

Tyrone like being underdogs or at least going in under the radar. Maybe this convoluted tournament structure could suit us this year. I'd prefer to be in Tyrone position than Armagh at the minute anyway.

NotedObserver

Whats the thoughts this weekend? Start as Monaghan below to try and match up with the attacking wing backs of Galway or will we see a McGlennon, Oguz or R Canavan? Picking up Tierney among several others is going to be tough. Assume Meyler go on Walsh and McNamee on Cormer?. Galway have an impressive spread of players and are going to be hard to control. 

Niall Morgan; Ronan McNamee, Pádraig Hampsey; Cormac Quinn; Kieran McGeary, Michael McKernan, Conor Meyler; Brian Kennedy, Conn Kilpatrick; Peter Harte, Michael O'Neill, Frank Burns; Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly, Darragh Canavan.

LeoMc

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 16, 2023, 01:17:07 PM
Whats the thoughts this weekend? Start as Monaghan below to try and match up with the attacking wing backs of Galway or will we see a McGlennon, Oguz or R Canavan? Picking up Tierney among several others is going to be tough. Assume Meyler go on Walsh and McNamee on Cormer?. Galway have an impressive spread of players and are going to be hard to control. 

Niall Morgan; Ronan McNamee, Pádraig Hampsey; Cormac Quinn; Kieran McGeary, Michael McKernan, Conor Meyler; Brian Kennedy, Conn Kilpatrick; Peter Harte, Michael O'Neill, Frank Burns; Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly, Darragh Canavan.
Move Harte from CHB back out to the wing where he is of benefit. Burns or Munroe to CHB.