Caddy attack

Started by corn02, December 16, 2008, 12:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Williams could be in trouble with Tiger. It would be a tough 10% to lose for NZ's highest paid sportsman.

Woods dismayed by caddie comments 

Williams has been the regular caddie for Woods since 1999
Tiger Woods has distanced himself from comments made by his caddie, Steve Williams, who said he had no respect for Phil Mickelson.

On Saturday, Williams was reported as saying that he hated Mickelson and that Woods did not get on with him either.

But Woods said on Monday: "I was disappointed to read the comments about Phil, a player I respect. The matter has been discussed and dealt with."

Mickelson's management said Williams's comments were "grossly inaccurate".

New Zealander Williams, who has caddied for Woods since 1999, was originally quoted by the Taranaki Daily News saying he "hated" Mickelson, adding: "I wouldn't call Mickelson a great player."

He later confirmed the quotes were accurate, adding: "I was simply honest and said they (Mickelson and Woods) don't get along.

"Mickelson pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect. It's no secret we don't get along either."

Mickelson hit back immediately, saying: "After seeing Steve Williams's comments, all I could think of was how lucky I am to have a class act like Bones (Jim Mackay) on my bag and representing me."

Woods and fellow American Mickelson, the world number three, have been US Ryder Cup team-mates five times.  I worked with Tiger for 10 years and I can tell you he wouldn't have been very happy with that

Butch Harmon
Phil Mickelson's coach

Mickelson's coach, Butch Harmon, said he was "shocked" by Williams's outburst.

"I can't believe he said what he said. I think it's deplorable he would say something like that," said the American, who has also coached Woods.

"Golf is a game of honour and integrity and that was a very uncalled for remark. I don't think it's any reflection of what Tiger thinks of Phil Mickelson."

Harmon said he could not understand why Williams lashed out.

"Phil Mickelson is one of the most popular players in the world, every bit as popular as Tiger Woods," he said.

"He's a nice guy, all the guys like Phil, so I don't know where Steve was coming from with that comment. Personally, I would assume he would wish he'd never made it.

"I would have loved to have heard a recording of the conversation between (Williams) and Tiger. I worked with Tiger for 10 years and I can tell you he wouldn't have been very happy with that."

full back

He is either a stupid cnut or has earned enough money & doesnt give a sh1te

cavan4ever

Quote from: full back on December 16, 2008, 12:16:38 PM
He is either a stupid cnut or has earned enough money & doesnt give a sh1te
I'd say its a bit of both.

Dinny Breen

Typical classless comment emanating from a Kiwi. Me thinks Steve will be looking for a new bag soon.
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Williams is supposed to be a proper arrogant hoor, he needs to realise who is actually hitting the ball............He had a great gig and blew it, 10% of Tigers earnings  :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

I watched a documenbtary on Williams before, the man certainly does not hold back. He is likeable, but is certainly ignorant. Some would say he  is just doing his job, but he takes it too far.

Next major is shaping up lovely now -

Harrington v Woods v Mickelson.

Doogie Browser

Can't see Tiger sacking him though, takes a long time to build up a relationship with a caddy, don't think he wants to go down that road again.  Public rebuke from Tiger will prob suffice.  

corn02

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 16, 2008, 12:26:41 PM
Can't see Tiger sacking him though, takes a long time to build up a relationship with a caddy, don't think he wants to go down that road again.  Public rebuke from Tiger will prob suffice.  

I expect that will be the way. He is generally viewed as the best in the business and people underestimate the role of a caddy.

DrinkingHarp

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 am EST

Tiger's caddy is pretty mouthy for a guy who carries a bag
By Jay Busbee
Seems Steve Williams has gotten a wee bit too comfortable basking in the reflected glory of his boss.

Over the weekend, Williams, who's the caddy for one Tiger Woods, made headlines when he told the The Guardian that "I wouldn't call Mickelson a great player, because I hate the -----"

What did he call Phil? Well, I don't believe I can actually say it here. But let's put it this way -- you know what hurts? When you're sewing, and you p***k your finger with the needle. Yeah. The word's in there. And no, Williams didn't call Mickelson a "finger."

Williams also recounted an anecdote from 2008 at Torrey Pines -- or maybe it was 2002 at Bethpage, Williams was a little uncertain on the details -- regarding a fan heckling Mickelson when Phil and Tiger were paired up. As Williams recalls, the fan shouted for Mickelson's attention. When Phil turned around, the fan hollered, "Nice ----" ... hmmm. Let's put it this way. You know when you hit somebody, and then they hit you back, and it's called "tit-for-tat"? Yeah, the word's in there. And no, the guy didn't say Phil had "nice tats."

Mickelson's crew quickly shot back with a statement: "After seeing Steve Williams' comments all I could think of was how lucky I am to have a class act like Bones (Mickelson's caddy Jim MacKay) on my bag and representing me." Mickelson's team also refuted the "nice tats" story, saying it was about a European Tour player (my guess: Colin Montgomerie), not Mickelson.

After the article ran, the Star-Times sought out Williams for clarification. He owned up to his comments, and offered up this gem: "I don't particularly like the guy myself. He pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect." Dude. You're the caddy. He's the talent. Nobody in the history of the world ever tuned in to a golf tournament to watch the caddies at work. Perspective, fella.

(It'll be interesting to see how His Tigerness handles this, considering he reportedly fired his previous caddy, Fluff Cowan, for carving out too high of a public profile.)

I can think of only one way to settle this: Caddy Cage Match. Lock Williams and Bones in a steel cage on the 17th at Sawgrass and let 'em go at it. Come on, tell me you wouldn't rather watch that than yet another installment of the Greater Greensboro Open.

And if that doesn't work, somebody remind Williams who's the player and who's the hired help.

(If you're new to Yahoo! Sports' Devil Ball Golf, welcome. Glad to have you here. If you enjoyed this, stop back by every day for more. And if not, we'll still be here at www.devilballgolf.com.)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: corn02 on December 16, 2008, 12:10:25 PM
Williams could be in trouble with Tiger. It would be a tough 10% to lose for NZ's highest paid sportsman.

Woods dismayed by caddie comments 

Williams has been the regular caddie for Woods since 1999
Tiger Woods has distanced himself from comments made by his caddie, Steve Williams, who said he had no respect for Phil Mickelson.

On Saturday, Williams was reported as saying that he hated Mickelson and that Woods did not get on with him either.

But Woods said on Monday: "I was disappointed to read the comments about Phil, a player I respect. The matter has been discussed and dealt with."

Mickelson's management said Williams's comments were "grossly inaccurate".

New Zealander Williams, who has caddied for Woods since 1999, was originally quoted by the Taranaki Daily News saying he "hated" Mickelson, adding: "I wouldn't call Mickelson a great player."

He later confirmed the quotes were accurate, adding: "I was simply honest and said they (Mickelson and Woods) don't get along.

"Mickelson pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect. It's no secret we don't get along either."

Mickelson hit back immediately, saying: "After seeing Steve Williams's comments, all I could think of was how lucky I am to have a class act like Bones (Jim Mackay) on my bag and representing me."

Woods and fellow American Mickelson, the world number three, have been US Ryder Cup team-mates five times.  I worked with Tiger for 10 years and I can tell you he wouldn't have been very happy with that

Butch Harmon
Phil Mickelson's coach

Mickelson's coach, Butch Harmon, said he was "shocked" by Williams's outburst.

"I can't believe he said what he said. I think it's deplorable he would say something like that," said the American, who has also coached Woods.

"Golf is a game of honour and integrity and that was a very uncalled for remark. I don't think it's any reflection of what Tiger thinks of Phil Mickelson."

Harmon said he could not understand why Williams lashed out.

"Phil Mickelson is one of the most popular players in the world, every bit as popular as Tiger Woods," he said.

"He's a nice guy, all the guys like Phil, so I don't know where Steve was coming from with that comment. Personally, I would assume he would wish he'd never made it.

"I would have loved to have heard a recording of the conversation between (Williams) and Tiger. I worked with Tiger for 10 years and I can tell you he wouldn't have been very happy with that."

What a fecking tosser I hope he gets canned.
ta se mor