PSNI Officer Shot In Loyalist Violence

Started by SeanSouth, July 22, 2007, 12:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSouth

Officer shot during disturbances 

A police officer has been shot during loyalist violence in Carrickfergus, Co Antrim, police have said.
The victim was taken to hospital, but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

A second man, a civilian, has also been taken to hospital after a serious assault. His condition is unknown.

Police arrested three men under terrorist legislation after stopping a car near the incident, which happened in Castlemara estate on Saturday night.

Officers were called after reports that a large crowd had gathered in Castlemara Drive at about 2230 BST.

It is believed the incidents are connected to tensions in the loyalist community in south east Antrim.

Police in the town are appealing for anyone with information about any of the incidents to contact them.

stew

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 22, 2007, 12:29:25 PM
No change there then. The first ever Policeman to be shot in "The Troubles" was shot by Loyalists. I am sure we will hear the ususal excuses from Gwaytofuck.

Lets just be saddened at the needless death of a human being shall we.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

his holiness nb

No change there then. The first ever Policeman to be shot in "The Troubles" was shot by Loyalists. I am sure we will hear the ususal excuses from Gwaytofuck.

No, he will balance it out with an example of a bad thing a nationalist did  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

maddog

Quote from: stew on July 22, 2007, 08:57:59 PM

Is he dead then? I thought they said it wasnt life threatening. Anyway point stands, if it was the other way round Stormont would probably be closed this morning.

GweylTah

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 23, 2007, 10:59:46 AM
Quote from: stew on July 22, 2007, 08:57:59 PM

He didnt die, in fact I dont even think his injuries were life threatening, but if he had would anyone really care?

That's very revealing.

For the record, I would have a consistent attitude to those who have attacked police officers North and South or in Great Britain before, during or after The Troubles: they are scum and should experience the full rigours of the law.  All terrorst groups should disband and, if they do not, be forcibly disbanded.

Maybe President McAleese and her hubby can have a few words in the ear of their 'good UDA' chums and help matters?

On a wider point, perhaps I should be flattered that a good few of you seem so concerned about what I should think about this and other subjects, watch it doesn't turn into an obsession, girls.

his holiness nb

Quote from: GweylTah on July 23, 2007, 11:51:15 AM
On a wider point, perhaps I should be flattered that a good few of you seem so concerned about what I should think about this and other subjects, watch it doesn't turn into an obsession, girls.

If you think you should be flattered that many people think you are an idiot thats your own personal choice.
Its all about the standards each individual sets himself I suppose.  :o
Ask me holy bollix

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

What was the reason for the trouble in Carrickfergus?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

his holiness nb

Yet despite his obvious hatred of all things nationalist and all things GAA, he still managed 508 posts on Gaaboard.
I'd say he secretly loves the GAA, but cant admit it as his ma will bate the shite out of him!
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 23, 2007, 12:20:52 PM
What was the reason for the trouble in Carrickfergus?

this is what they are saying, doesnt really make a lot of sense

There was trouble between rival UDA factions
The first minister has described the weekend violence in Carrickfergus as "extremely worrying".
A police officer was shot in the back during disturbances between gangs of rival loyalists in the Castlemara estate on Saturday night.

"These feuds between so-called loyalists are a grave indictment upon their communities and I unreservedly condemn such acts," said Ian Paisley.

Five people are now under arrest in connection with the violence.

One man was is being questioned about the officer's attempted murder, another was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and three others are being held under terrorist legislation.

"I would also like to extend my sympathy to the police officer who was shot on Saturday evening," continued Mr Paisley.

There's five people out of their homes, three people severely beaten, a police officer shot, and the violence is only coming from one side - there is no feud

Frankie Gallagher

"I will be praying that he makes a full and speedy recovery. This was a cowardly deed and will be condemned by all right thinking people."

The officer's injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. A civilian was also stabbed and is in hospital.

Weapons, including CS spray, a crossbow and baseball bats, were recovered.

The trouble is being linked to infighting between different factions of the UDA in the County Antrim town.

A police forensic team has been on the Castlemara estate carrying out follow-up investigations.

One woman who lives in the estate claims the police did nothing when the UDA arrived en masse on Saturday evening.

"You can't sleep in your bed at night because you don't know who's running around," she said.

"The PSNI are supposed to protect and serve the community, but as far as I can see, they're protecting the vigilantes."

However, Frankie Gallagher of the UPRG, which offers political advice to the UDA, said the organisation was not responsible for what happened.

"There's five people out of their homes, three people severely beaten, a police officer shot, and the violence is only coming from one side - there is no feud," he said.

"We are saying we will totally support the police - if anybody can come forward and give evidence, we will support them."

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

GweylTah

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 23, 2007, 12:18:13 PMStill when one prod shoots another you wont hear me complaining  ;)

I don't doubt you would be happy for Prods to be shootin each other.

But while I don't think Ireland would be the worse for the demise of any paramilitary thugs of whatever ilk, I prefer to leave the law of the jungle to the jungles, perhaps you and your standard would be at home there, but not me.

Hardy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 23, 2007, 12:18:13 PM
Still when one prod shoots another you wont hear me complaining  ;)

Unless it's intended as a spoof of unacceptable attitudes, this is one of the most outrageous posts I've ever seen here. Which is it?

Evil Genius

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 23, 2007, 12:18:13 PM
typical Loyalist response really...     ...ignoring the wrong doings in your own community.

Still when one prod shoots another you wont hear me complaining  ;)

Can't speak for Gweyltah, but this Unionist completely condemns these (self-styled) "Loyalists", without equivocation.

As for your second point, how do you know the shot police officer is a "prod"? There's a reasonable percentage of RC's in the PSNI these days.

Would you be complaining if it should turn out that he was, in fact, RC? Or do you judge everything by sectarian standards?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Chrisowc

The first ever Policeman to be shot in "The Troubles" was shot by Loyalists. I am sure we will hear the ususal excuses from Gwaytofuck.

everytime anything happens in the Nationalist community you are very quick to point things out and lay blame

Seems he's not the only one.... ::)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!