Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: Syferus on February 27, 2018, 01:08:06 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 27, 2018, 12:43:16 AM
Surely the aubameyang money would've been spent better elsewhere?

They already had Lacazette and Giroud up there and I don't see Wenger playing both Lacazette and aubameyang up top at the same time

Giroud is a lame horse compared to PEA.

So you think they made the best possible use of that money?

mrdeeds

Ozil rang in sick last week. Club doctor called to his house. He was actually in Turkey. Would not be tolerated by any other club.

Syferus

Quote from: gawa316 on February 27, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

They already had Lacazette and Giroud up there and I don't see Wenger playing both Lacazette and aubameyang up top at the same time

I 100% think you sign a player like PEA when you have the chance. At that money in the current market it's comically good value. Strikers are the most valuable players for a reason.

And it isn't a situation where not getting PEA meant a deal for a defender was magically on either, deals only work like that in supporters' heads.

Özil under a new contract, Lac, PEA and Miki is a quality front four to build on and a good bit away from the doom and gloom about this team breaking apart at the start of the season.

They need to get very serious about the Europa now and take a leaf from Jose's book. Shut out all the usual external noise.

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on February 27, 2018, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 27, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

I 100% think you sign a player like PEA when you have the chance. At that money in the current market it's comically good value. Strikers are the most valuable players for a reason.

And it isn't a situation where not getting PEA meant a deal for a defender was magically on either, deals only work like that in supporters' heads.

Özil under a new contract, Lac, PEA and Miki is a quality front four to build on and a good bit away from the doom and gloom about this team breaking apart at the start of the season.

They need to get very serious about the Europa now and take a leaf from Jose's book. Shut out all the usual external noise.

Comically good value?

f**k me.

Aubeyamang plays off the last shoulder.

He's an effective forward in the right system, where he's released from any build up duties or hold up duties, and can concentrate solely on getting on the end of passes.

But the style Arsenal play means they can't afford a passenger up front. They need a footballing no.9 who can play triangles, give and go, exchange positions, and come from deeper. It's been that way throughout Wenger's tenure - it's "Arsenal football" - so why spend £60m-odd for a player who doesn't fit that system?

What's comical is that football fans - who complain endlessly about hefty ticket prices, and are abandoning Sky in their droves for free streaming - are happily behind "their" club when spending comically absurd amounts of money on comically unsuitable players.

Syferus

Your post is going to age as well as those decrying Sanchez as a luxury purchase when he was brought in.

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on February 27, 2018, 05:54:14 PM
Your post is going to age as well as those decrying Sanchez as a luxury purchase when he was brought in.
You're suffering from transfer fee blindness.

Arsenal's too 10 record signings list also includes Lacazette, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, Welbeck and Reyes. You should really know better by now.

mrdeeds

When Wenger decided to buy Xhaka instead of Kante he should have been fired on the spot.

TabClear

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2018, 06:17:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 27, 2018, 05:54:14 PM
You're suffering from transfer fee blindness.

Arsenal's too 10 record signings list also includes Lacazette, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, Welbeck and Reyes. You should really know better by now.

Took a quick look at this and none of the Top Teams transfer records are particularly Stellar. In the top 15 record transfers for each club

Chelsea-Batshuyia, Bakayoko, Torres, Shevchenko
Liverpool-Carroll, Benteke, Lovren, Markovic, Keane
Utd-Di Maria, Schnederlin, Herrera, Shaw, Mkhitaryan, Veron
City-Robinho, Bony
Spurs-Soldado, Rebrov, Bentley, Jansenn, bent

City is distorted because so many of their players have been bought in the last 2-3 years but there are some who could end up being flops and I have not included the likes of Morata, Pogba etc who are not flops but have not justified their fees as of yet.

thewobbler

Agreed TabClear.

Most of those were signed as the "missing piece", and more than a few of them would fall into the same category as I'm early-calling Aubeymang; clearly having something to offer, but not right for the style of play of the club.

ONeill

Right Gunners - let's see what yer made of.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

From the Bunker

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

Midfield and Back 4 could turn around and try and score in their own goal and City would beat them to it.

Beckham needs to come out of that dressing room with stiches in his eyebrow.

Syferus

Quote from: Puckoon on March 01, 2018, 08:33:58 PM
Midfield and Back 4 could turn around and try and score in their own goal and City would beat them to it.

Beckham needs to come out of that dressing room with stiches in his eyebrow.

Being a petulant tît and throwing a boot at one of your player isn't management.