Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2024, 01:37:41 PMThe local MLAs are being put under some pressure to sort out at least some of the ongoing debacle re. these Victoria Square apartments. Apparently these people have been paying rates since 2019 for properties they can't use.

For those of you chaps in the game, if there are definite structural defects in the apartments, how can *nobody* be held liable? The 2 big construction companies involved seem to have denied all liability.

Crazy

Communities Minister, Gordon Lyons, has confirmed that his department will take responsibility for defective buildings in Belfast, after news this week that a multi-million pound compensation claim by owners evacuated due to safety concerns is to be dismissed
On Wednesday, a High Court judge struck out the group action brought over structural issues at the Victoria Square residential complex because a legislative time limit for mounting the case had expired.

In Northern Ireland, such claims must be made within six years of a building being completed.

In England and Wales it is 30 years.

Mr Justice Huddleston expressed sympathy for the "human pain" of those who have lost their homes.

Amid suggestions that the city centre development may have to be demolished, the court heard some residents could now face financial ruin.

Completed back in 2008, the building on Chichester Street contains a total of 91 apartments.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

I thought latent defects for new build covered up to 12yrs?

Orior

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 15, 2024, 11:23:51 PMI thought latent defects for new build covered up to 12yrs?

This is an interesting one. It's hard not to feel heartbroken for those that purchased properties in good faith, only to lose them.

Do developers retain contingency monies for up to x years in case defects are found? If it starts to apply to construction then their will be calls to make it apply to other builds such as software.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

I remember those apartments were highly sought after when they were built. There was a waiting list at a time. Some mess.

Wildweasel74

I remember buying house am jn at ghe minute. Them discovering the insulation hadn't been laid in the loft, anyway on to building control to say u signed off the house without checking the loft, so they went bck to the builder and instructed  to fit out, this house been 4yr old at the time