Truth At Last

Started by Pangurban, May 29, 2007, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

QuoteMy guess, however, is that the Boundary Commission made a pragmatic decision to include them in the Free State, since that suited both the population of those three counties (i.e. majority Nationalist) and it suited the six counties of NI (i.e. maintained a working Unionist majority in NI).

more bull. what about county derry then.. it would have suited the majority nationalist pop there to be included in the free state but it didnt upset the unionist working majority enough. the only think that mattered was the unionist working majority which was gerrymandering but believe whatever you want. the price unionists pay for this is to be forever living in limbo, the union may be ok now but what about in 50 years time?  one thing is sure people will be typing crap (just like me ;)) about it in another 50 years..

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2007, 05:28:28 PM
My guess, however, is that the Boundary Commission made a pragmatic decision to include them in the Free State, since that suited both the population of those three counties (i.e. majority Nationalist) and it suited the six counties of NI (i.e. maintained a working Unionist majority in NI).

Your guess is wrong, the Unionists decided that keeping those 3 counties would leave them with a slender majority, so they dumped any unionists that might be living there and went for six as an area they could dominate. All of this was long before the boundary commission.
Of course demography is catching up on the 6 counties too.

QuoteSince Ulster has historically always had a degree of "separateness" from the rest of Ireland,

Why then should all of Ulster not be used as a regional unit then?

Er.... When I posted that hiving off the three Ulster counties into the Free State would "maintain a working Unionist majority in NI", that was exactly the same point as your (purported) rebuttal (i.e. "keeping those three counties would leave them with a slender majority")

As for "using Ulster as a regional unit then?" - that is also the same scenario which I considered when I pointed out that the 9 counties of Ulster had a clear Unionist majority in 1921, therefore meaning the whole Province might have been kept in the UK at the time of partition.

Do try and keep up... ???
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: magickingdom on June 06, 2007, 05:34:21 PM
QuoteMy guess, however, is that the Boundary Commission made a pragmatic decision to include them in the Free State, since that suited both the population of those three counties (i.e. majority Nationalist) and it suited the six counties of NI (i.e. maintained a working Unionist majority in NI).

more bull. what about county derry then.. it would have suited the majority nationalist pop there to be included in the free state but it didnt upset the unionist working majority enough. the only think that mattered was the unionist working majority which was gerrymandering but believe whatever you want. the price unionists pay for this is to be forever living in limbo, the union may be ok now but what about in 50 years time?  one thing is sure people will be typing crap (just like me ;)) about it in another 50 years..

Oh FFS.  Co.Londonderry had a clear Unionist majority at the time of Partition. Going by the General Election of 1918, Unionists received 26,492 votes in the 3 Constituencies (1 City and 2 County). This equates to 58.5% of the vote (SF/Nats received 18,812 votes = 41.5%).

And before you go moping on about "gerrymandering", there was universal suffrage for all over-21's at the time. In the one constituency where Nationalists were in a majority (City), even that was paper thin: SF managed to get their man with a majority of just 315 votes - a little over 2%.

Perhaps you might worry less about posting crap in 50 years time and more about posting it now... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SuperMac

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 06, 2007, 02:42:08 PM

* - Despite getting 29.3% of the vote, Unionists only secured 24.7% of the seats (26/105). By contrast, Sinn Fein gained 46.9% of the vote, but 69.5% of the seats (73/105). Another example of gerrymandering by "perfidious Albion" perhaps?  ;)

Sinn Fein recevied 46.9% and got 73 seats. Sinn Fein's overall percentage would have been much greater only for the fact that throughout much of what is now the 26 counties, the Redmondites failed to stand against SF as they knew they were onto a hammering at the polls anyway. Even its leader, John Dillon, failed to be re-elected.  Hence a low turnout in many constituency's because SF were going to win anyway. The fact that unionism was prepared to hand over the rest of the unionists in Cavan, Monagahan and Donegal, not to mention Dublin etc with bearly a whimper, just shows the absoulute bankruptcy of it and their so called 'loyalty'.

P.S. Can you provide the link that shows unionists were in the majority in the nine counties of Ulster as I'm very interested to know what percentage of the 29.3% of the unionist vote was cast in the other 3 provinces, as the unionists got 3 seats down 'here'  ;). But in anyone's logic,  73 to 22  is a landslide victory, but sadly the british sense of fairplay never respects democracy.

armaghniac

QuoteEr.... When I posted that hiving off the three Ulster counties into the Free State would "maintain a working Unionist majority in NI", that was exactly the same point as your (purported) rebuttal (i.e. "keeping those three counties would leave them with a slender majority")

My "rebuttal" made the point only that all of this happened long before the Boundary Commission, something you didn't appear to know.

QuoteAs for "using Ulster as a regional unit then?" - that is also the same scenario which I considered when I pointed out that the 9 counties of Ulster had a clear Unionist majority in 1921, therefore meaning the whole Province might have been kept in the UK at the time of partition.

Presumably it was just tough luck on the people in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal.

QuoteAnd before you go moping on about "gerrymandering", there was universal suffrage for all  over-21's at the time.

Gerrymandering is a form of redistricting in which electoral district or constituency boundaries are manipulated for an electoral advantage, so the suffrage is not relevant. The reason why Fermanagh is in one state and Donegal is in another has everything to do with the manipulation of boundaries to facilitate sectarianism, these place should be part of the same unit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magickingdom

QuoteOh FFS.  Co.Londonderry had a clear Unionist majority at the time of Partition. Going by the General Election of 1918, Unionists received 26,492 votes in the 3 Constituencies (1 City and 2 County). This equates to 58.5% of the vote (SF/Nats received 18,812 votes = 41.5%).

And before you go moping on about "gerrymandering", there was universal suffrage for all over-21's at the time. In the one constituency where Nationalists were in a majority (City), even that was paper thin: SF managed to get their man with a majority of just 315 votes - a little over 2%.

Perhaps you might worry less about posting crap in 50 years time and more about posting it now...

gee things have taken a turn for the worst for ye lot in derry... try not to be such a patronizing p***k i can google just as well as you when i'm bothered. how about the three tyrone constituencies then for my example, its the same point. as your such a fan of the 1918 election for all 32 counties you will clearly see the nationalist vote in ireland at well over 75%