Learning to drive

Started by Boycey, August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Incredibly I've gotten myself to the age of almost 50 without learning to drive  :-[.
Circumstances have now dictated to me that I must learn so I've taken 3 lessons this week. I've been shocked at the level or aggression other drivers have shown to an obvious learner driver in a fully marked up instructors car.

Any tips for me??

gallsman

Assume every other driver on the road is completely incompetent.

As for aggression towards learner drivers, just try and ignore it and don't let yourself get rushed when doing anything. Everyone was in the same boat once.

AZOffaly

Go slow if you feel in any way compromised or in trouble. You are very unlikely to do significant damage to anything if you are going slowly if there is something you don't like or feel comfortable with. Of course I'll be cursing you and trying to pass you out, but on the whole, if you are learning, I'd prefer to see a learner going slowly and carefully, rather than panicking and trying to do something they are not comfortable with.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM
Incredibly I've gotten myself to the age of almost 50 without learning to drive  :-[.
Circumstances have now dictated to me that I must learn so I've taken 3 lessons this week. I've been shocked at the level or aggression other drivers have shown to an obvious learner driver in a fully marked up instructors car.

Any tips for me??

Christ!! you must have lived in the city! in fairness i was nearly 30, never needed to drive or have a want for it, taking my daughter out soon and not looking forward to it at all.... Be keen to hear from the petrol heads on how they are nice to other drivers.

I'd say once you get your distances right and confidence in steering you'll be fine, I remember my test as if it was yesterday, rotten!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Driverless cars aren't to far away Boycey..hold out till then...

Taylor

Avoid cyclists at all costs.

They will make your driving life hell - I understand you are nervous on the road - just imagine if they are out cycling 5 or 6 abreast so you cant pass or they could be hopping up and down off footpaths and weaving in between cars.

Best of luck Boycey

PW Nally

Yoga pants. Biggest danger to male drivers.

screenexile

punt kick

Any tips for me??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxloSkObYc

RedHand88

Agree on cyclists. Always remember, they are better than us pollution spewing car drivers and you should ALWAYS give them right of way regardless of situation. A cyclist scrapes your car whilst overtaking you in traffic? Smile and wave!  ;D
Are 4 of them riding abreast on a busy road? Well sir, just you stay back and toodle along behind them at 10mph round blind corners, to hell with cars coming behind you!
With regards other cars beeping at you, honestly the best response is to beep back, laugh and wave at them. Its the thing that will annoy them most. People behave in cars in a way they would never behave in public.

T Fearon

Best tip is to keep her between the hedges.

Hardy

Before you learn how to start the car, learn how to stop the car.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: PW Nally on August 10, 2017, 10:29:49 AM
Yoga pants. Biggest danger to male drivers.
Only on the right body.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2017, 09:21:02 AM

Any tips for me??

Christ!! you must have lived in the city! in fairness i was nearly 30, never needed to drive or have a want for it, taking my daughter out soon and not looking forward to it at all.... Be keen to hear from the petrol heads on how they are nice to other drivers.

I'd say once you get your distances right and confidence in steering you'll be fine, I remember my test as if it was yesterday, rotten!
Whilst I wouldn't call myself a petrol head and I have no patience for inconsiderate cyclists I would have a lot of patience for L drivers as I was one myself once.