Watching Sky Abroad

Started by Fuzzman, July 27, 2017, 12:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

The hassle with setting up a VPN on holidays is not worth the tenner you will spend on GAAGO, a vastly improved service.
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2017, 11:56:10 AM
The hassle with setting up a VPN on holidays is not worth the tenner you will spend on GAAGO, a vastly improved service.

It is amazing the number of "GAA people", who if they were here would pay the €25 for the ticket, but if they are not here they spend half the week fiddling with VPNs just to avoid giving the GAA a tenner.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: armaghniac on July 29, 2017, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2017, 11:56:10 AM

It is amazing the number of "GAA people", who if they were here would pay the €25 for the ticket, but if they are not here they spend half the week fiddling with VPNs just to avoid giving the GAA a tenner.

Except that once Sky go operates it's not just a single GAA match but your whole subscription comes on board. Certainly wouldn't be worth it for just one game. 

gallsman

Setting up a VPN is absolutely minimal hassle. The comparison between going to a match and watching on a screen abroad is redundant - the valid comparison is watching on TV at home.

A tenner a pop to watch a match on a shitty service is a disgrace, especially for an organisation that hams up its importance to the diaspora.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2017, 01:18:26 PM
A tenner a pop to watch a match on a shitty service is a disgrace, especially for an organisation that hams up its importance to the diaspora.

The shitty service is a disgrace, not necessarily the tenner.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orchard park

anyone any idea on how to stream sky sports arena given its not on  mobdro app ?.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Orchard park on July 29, 2017, 02:59:48 PM
anyone any idea on how to stream sky sports arena given its not on  mobdro app ?.

Do you have a Sky subscription?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Orchard park on July 29, 2017, 02:59:48 PM

Are you wanting to watch the games today? They are also on Sky Sports Main Event if that's on there?
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

Quote from: Orchard park on July 29, 2017, 11:43:52 AM
Likewise sky sports arena jog of  my mobdro, the sky sports action is alright. Whereabouts did you find it macdanger

It was there the other night but gone now

Orchard park

Thanks benny i'Ll have a look for that

Orchard park

Fuzzman

I've never used the GAAGo thing but had a look at it there. Do you have to buy both matches separately then for next Sat or can you get a package with two.

I've contacted a few places in Quimper where I'm going in France and nobody seems to have Sky which amazes me. I contacted a bar des amis who seem to show most sports events and they say they have an internet TV and would be quite hopeful of finding a stream to show it.
I see on sky they are showing the two games on Sky Arena channel 408 this Saturday.

I suppose worse case scenario is that they can't get it for free and I then just buy it on GAAGO.
Presume it just works on any browser and should work on his Internet TV.

Do any of ye lads in the UK go to a pub to watch it? I presume they all use sky sports package and not GAAGO.

Owen Brannigan

Do you have a Sky sub for Sky Go at home?

Do you have an IPad or laptop to take to France or can you get access to the same? (Laptop can be connected to a TV by hdmi for a bigger picture)

Will you have an Internet connection via cable, wifi or using a hotspot enabled smartphone?

Can you afford £10 for a month's sub for ExpressVPN?

If tha answer is yes to all four of these questions then unlike the vast majority of people in Ireland you can watch the games on Saturday as broadcast by Sky. As a bonus you can watch any Sky output for the whole of your holiday. Other TV channels from home will also be available.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2017, 12:52:16 PM
I've never used the GAAGo thing but had a look at it there. Do you have to buy both matches separately then for next Sat or can you get a package with two.

I've contacted a few places in Quimper where I'm going in France and nobody seems to have Sky which amazes me. I contacted a bar des amis who seem to show most sports events and they say they have an internet TV and would be quite hopeful of finding a stream to show it.
I see on sky they are showing the two games on Sky Arena channel 408 this Saturday.

I suppose worse case scenario is that they can't get it for free and I then just buy it on GAAGO.
Presume it just works on any browser and should work on his Internet TV.

Do any of ye lads in the UK go to a pub to watch it? I presume they all use sky sports package and not GAAGO.

The sky games aren't available on GAAgo in the U.K. For other games the pubs usually use Premier Sports. I have GAAgo for the year. It's a great service, I watch via iPad on Apple TV box.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Thanks Owen B.
I'll probably go to that pub first and see what they have access to.
Then I can use their laptop or internet TV and set up the VPN to access my Sky sub.

If I take my laptop with me to France does that have to be inside my carry on case or can I carry a laptop case as well with Aer Lingus and back with Cryin Air