Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Pedant alert! They're called laws not rules.
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Quote from: take_yer_points on October 11, 2012, 09:21:03 AM
On the rules, there's something I don't understand about rugby. From a penalty, the attacking team can kick for touch - sometimes as a result the attacking team have the ball at the line out and sometimes the defending team do - I'm assuming the difference is the distance travelled/which side of the line the ball lands but am not too sure of the exact rule. Can anyone help?

From a penalty, the attacking team always gets the lineout - it used be the case that the defending team got the lineout but they changed the rule sometime in the 1990's. From open play, the defending team gets the lineout. If the attempt at finding touch from open play came from outside the 22 or the player crossed back into the 22 before taking the kick, it must bounce before going into touch or the lineout will be on the defending 22. Byzantine? I should cocoa!

screenexile

Quote from: take_yer_points on October 11, 2012, 09:21:03 AM
On the rules, there's something I don't understand about rugby. From a penalty, the attacking team can kick for touch - sometimes as a result the attacking team have the ball at the line out and sometimes the defending team do - I'm assuming the difference is the distance travelled/which side of the line the ball lands but am not too sure of the exact rule. Can anyone help?

A strange law alright!!!

When a team wins a penalty and they kick the ball to touch they will get the throw.

If there is a free kick (either for a ball caught clean in the 22 or if the referee decides a team has engaged to early in the scrum) the team taking it can kick to touch but they will not get the throw!! (If outside the 22 the ball must bounce before going to touch though)

take_yer_points

laoislad

I hate everything about rugby. I don't find it good to watch mainly but also I know you get pricks at every sporting event but I found the level of prickness was much higher at rugby games after going to a few games a few years ago.
I go to all the Republic of Ireland soccer games and while I admit there are some awful gobshites in the crowd at these games I think I'd prefer to have Anto from Ballymun sitting behind me than Oisin from Blackrock.
And don't get me started on that awful piece of crap Ireland's Call  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Laoislad, all you're telling me there is you see rugby as a middle class game and you don't like the middle class. So rugby never stands a chance with you.

rodney trotter

Quote from: BennyCake on October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM
I'm starting this thread as it has always baffled me why anyone would like the game of Rugby. Yes, I know, each to their own and all that. But seriously, what's the attraction?

I'm a Gaelic football man. Great to play, great to watch. Now, I know alot has been said about the recent negative tactics, and the game has suffered as a spectacle. Maybe it has. Maybe it hasn't. But, you have great catches, great scores, skill, block-downs, keepers plucking the ball out of the top corner, a lung-bursting solo run, scores from narrow angles, the outside of the boot. You get the idea...

Hurlings a great game too: fantastic speed, skill, guts, passion, scores, sideline cuts, great stick-work etc etc. Even soccer has it's moments. Great goals, skill, passes, saves etc.

Now, Rugby... erm, nope, I can't think of anything good or interesting about it. It lacks any fluidity, too stop/start, throwing the ball (who thought that one up?). I don't get it. I really don't. They look like a bunch of rutting stags during the season, charging into each other, throwing a ball backwards to go forwards. A set of goalposts but you can score in the corner. Seriously, if an Irishman had invented the game, he'd have been considered a loon.

It seems reasonably popular in this country. A dozen or two people seem to like it. Personally, I'd draw the curtains if there was a match playing outside.

So, can some people please tell me their own reasons for liking the game, because frankly I'm bemused.

If you watched Leinster last season , you wouldn't say they lacked any fluid play. Or any game involving the All Blacks. Ulster this season are playing good Rugby, lots of good young players.

laoislad

Quote from: thewobbler on October 11, 2012, 10:31:08 AM
Laoislad, all you're telling me there is you see rugby as a middle class game and you don't like the middle class. So rugby never stands a chance with you.

I really just don't like rugby as a spectacle which I said also.
I have nothing against any class of people either.
I just found in my experience the knob you can find at a rugby match was worse than the knob you can find at a soccer match.
My auld lad and brother are huge rugby fans and regularly attend games, it's not like I think everyone who goes is a knob.
I do think Ireland's Call is a dreadful piece of shite though.

deiseach

I think if you don't understand rugby it's impossible to appreciate it. Even when you understand it, the decisions of the referees can seem at times to be a case of "I'm going to ignore all the rule law breaking going on until I feel like it then blow the whistle".

Goats Do Shave

Rugby - I've been to see Ireland 2 or 3 times.
Soccer - I've been to see Ireland about 4 or 5 times.

The rugby crowd is easily more affable than the Soccer crowd.

At the last Ireland v Brazil game in Croker a group of young fella's (rote!) proceeded to beat the head of some random fella about 10 seats in front of us, before they were put out.

At the Ireland Cyprus game, poor ol Stevie Staunton got tirades of abuse the whole match, but the real clincher for me was when Ireland (I thing robbie Keane) scored the equalizing goal the HOME "Support" booed!!

I know where i'd rather be sitting alongside!

laoislad

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on October 11, 2012, 10:55:48 AM
Rugby - I've been to see Ireland 2 or 3 times.
Soccer - I've been to see Ireland about 4 or 5 times.

The rugby crowd is easily more affable than the Soccer crowd.

At the last Ireland v Brazil game in Croker a group of young fella's (rote!) proceeded to beat the head of some random fella about 10 seats in front of us, before they were put out.

At the Ireland Cyprus game, poor ol Stevie Staunton got tirades of abuse the whole match, but the real clincher for me was when Ireland (I thing robbie Keane) scored the equalizing goal the HOME "Support" booed!!

I know where i'd rather be sitting alongside!

Meh I've seen worse on Hill 16 at Dublin games.
I've never heard anyone booing someone for scoring for Ireland btw.

oisinog

I cant think of any other sport where sportmanship is so good.

laoislad

Quote from: oisinog on October 11, 2012, 11:00:04 AM
Golf.
Players call fouls on themselves ffs.

rodney trotter

Quote from: laoislad on October 11, 2012, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: oisinog on October 11, 2012, 11:00:04 AM
Golf.
Players call fouls on themselves ffs.

I think as in team sports, There is a great respect between the players and the referee in Rugby. None of the shite you see in soccer and GAA.

Ash Smoker

Is it right that people dislike a sport because of the class of people that play it?
I know of people who don't like the GAA because they see it as a bastion of culchiedom and muck savagery.