Palestinian footballer, Mahmoud Sarsak, released after 3 years in an Israel jail

Started by give her dixie, June 04, 2012, 03:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Quote from: dillinger on June 13, 2012, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 13, 2012, 04:28:59 PM
A Celtic message to Palestine

the Green Brigade, a well-known "ultras" group who describe themselves as left-wing, anti-racist and anti-sectarian.
."
    Many Celtic fans today regard the Palestinian struggle for national freedom and equality as similar to their own.

," [/quote
Eh? Backing from the "anti" sectarian green brigade?  Celtic fans stuggle? Eh? What bloody nonsense you write.

What's your thoughts on Mahmoud Sarsak, as he starts his 88 day without food in protest at been held for 3 years without charge or trial?

And what would your thoughts be on the fact that he played for the Palestine national team, and was on his way to a match when he was kidnapped?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

dillinger

With out knowing both sides to the story it's hard to say. If i had too, i would say to release him now and try to save his life. Israel can then exclude him from their country, that's their choice. Your posts are not really going to appeal to the likes of me, being a Northern Ireland Unionist.Of course they were not intented to.

give her dixie

Quote from: dillinger on June 14, 2012, 11:38:07 AM
With out knowing both sides to the story it's hard to say. If i had too, i would say to release him now and try to save his life. Israel can then exclude him from their country, that's their choice. Your posts are not really going to appeal to the likes of me, being a Northern Ireland Unionist.Of course they were not intented to.

Fair enough comment, and by calling for his release, you have gone further than any nationalist politician in the North have. In fact, even mentioning his name is further than they have gone.

I don't set out to appeal to one shade or the other. Rather, I appeal to those who can see cases based on the humanitarian angle. Mahmoud has been held for 3 years without charge or trial, and he should be either charged, or released immediately.

give her dixie

Calls to strip Israel of hosting the European Under-21 Championships grow over detention of Palestinian footballer Mahmoud Sarsak

The Palestinian Football Federation is putting pressure on Uefa to remove Israel as hosts of next year's European Under-21 Championships for jailing a Palestine national team player without trial.

In a letter to the Uefa President, Michel Platini,  the PFF has declared Israel's actions as in "direct violation of Fifa regulations" .

"We ask, your excellency, to not give Israel the honour to host the next Uefa Under-21 Championship," PFF President Jibril Rajoub said. "We are deeply concerned about the situation of our footballers."

The PFF's plea comes amid growing concerns for the welfare of Mahmoud Sarsak, a footballer for the Palestinian national team, who has been on hunger strike whilst being detained by Israeli authorities. Arrested in July 2009 at a checkpoint while attempting to enter the West Bank, the 25-year-old has been detained under the controversial Israeli "Unlawful Combatants Law", which allows for Palestinians to be arrested without charge or trial for an unlimited time.

The hunger strike is in response to him rejecting a deal with Israel. Sarsak - who has lost approximately thirty kilograms in weight because of the hunger strike, as well as memory lapses and extreme loss of muscle tissue - refuses to take treatment from Israeli doctors that he despises and distrusts deeply.  After three months without food there are grave concerns for Sarsak's life, with Physicians for Human Rights-Israel (PHR-Israel) warning that he could die at any moment.

Pressure from outside Israel is growing from international organisations that the 25-year-old should be released. Sepp Blatter, the president of Fifa, released a statement saying that "Fifa urgently calls on IFA to draw the attention of the Israeli competent authorities to the present matter, with the aim of ensuring the physical integrity of the concerned players as well as their right for due process."

FIFPro, the worldwide representative of professional football players, has expressed deep concerns "about Sarsak's health and about his imprisonment" and have requested he be released.

Prominent figures such as former France and Manchester United midfielder Eric Cantona, film director Ken Loach and American philosopher and activist Noam Chomsky have also urged Israeli authorities to release him. As well as this, protests under the banner "Let Sarsak Live" took place in London's Trafalgar Square last week to raise awareness of his ordeal.

Israeli officials believe the footballer to be an "Islamic Jihad terrorist who planned attacks and bombings".

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/calls-to-strip-israel-of-hosting-the-european-under21-championships-grow-over-detention-of-palestinian-footballer-mahmoud-sarsak-7851488.html

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Shay Given has already missed more saves than the hunger strikers did hot dinners.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

give her dixie

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 14, 2012, 10:50:34 PM
Shay Given has already missed more saves than the hunger strikers did hot dinners.

Disgraceful and shameful comment. Have you no sense of humanity?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: give her dixie on June 14, 2012, 10:54:13 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 14, 2012, 10:50:34 PM

Disgraceful and shameful comment. Have you no sense of humanity?

I know, poor ould Shay has given the Republic of Ireland good service over the years. I'm sorry Shay.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Wildweasel74

humanity, soccer supporters are a cruel bunch especially Irish ones but that's f**k all to you see the papers in the morning, they are worst that's the British papers!! they be tearings trips of people, likely blame the manager when the reality is that's it a miracle he got them there in the first place

seafoid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/14/plea-for-footballer

At a time when there is so much focus on international football, perhaps the media could give some attention to the plight of footballers in Palestine, where restrictions on movement prevent them from training and playing the beautiful game. At this moment, a young Palestinian footballer, Mahmoud Sarsak, is in a critical condition after three months on hunger strike, following his detention under "administrative" procedures without charge and without trial. Sarsak has been in Israeli custody since July 2009, when he was detained at a checkpoint as he travelled from his home in Gaza to join the Palestinian national squad for a match at Balata in the northern West Bank. In their first home international last year, an Olympic qualifying match against Thailand, the Palestinian team was without eight key players, who were refused permission to travel from Gaza to Ramallah. Earlier this year, the UN determined that Israel's policies in the occupied Palestinian territories violate the UN's convention prohibiting apartheid. Uefa should reconsider its decision to hold its under-21 championship in Israel in 2013.
John Austin
Former MP, Erith and Thamesmead

give her dixie

Carlos Latuff, the world famous political cartoonist will be in Ireland over the next few days and will be working on 2 murals. One in Derry tomorrow, and one in Belfast on the International wall on Monday.

Carlos is best known for his iconic soliditry images of Palestine and depicting anti - globalization, anti- capitalism, anti-war, and anti U.S. military intervention.

He will be opening an exhibition of his work on Sunday evening at the Irish language cafe, Na Croisbhealaí, 48 King Street, Belfast.

Event details: http://www.facebook.com/events/443307549021188/

If anyone can make it along, please do as this will be an evening not to be missed.

Click on the following link to view a vast array of his images from over the years:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carlos+latuff&hl=en&prmd=imvnslo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KRXbT-qZKeek0AXf1c3pCg&ved=0CFMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=499#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=carlos+latuff+&oq=carlos+latuff+&aq=f&aqi=g5g-S5&aql=&gs_l=img.3..0l5j0i24l5.2079.3415.0.4625.7.7.0.0.0.0.174.990.1j6.7.0...0.0.jJ1toW44Fn4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d48d4d997cc8772&biw=1024&bih=499

give her dixie

While I am awaiting official confirmation, radio stations in Gaza are reporting that Mahmoud Sarsak is to be released in 30 days time.

After 91 days on Hunger Strike, this is indeed incredible news if confirmed.

seafoid

Quote from: give her dixie on June 17, 2012, 06:19:19 PM
While I am awaiting official confirmation, radio stations in Gaza are reporting that Mahmoud Sarsak is to be released in 30 days time.

After 91 days on Hunger Strike, this is indeed incredible news if confirmed.
Israel is just stringing them along , ensuring the maximum damage to the body is done while being sure there are no deaths .
Zionism is a really sick ideology.

seafoid

give her dixie

In the past hour, Mahmoud Sarsak was released from an Israeli prison after been held for 3 years without charge. Mahmoud endured a 3 month Hunger Strike in protest, and today he is back home in Gaza.

This is fantastic news, and no doubt, Mahmoud will receive an incredible reception.

Welcome home Mahmoud.