Astronomy Thread

Started by ONeill, October 06, 2010, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 20, 2010, 11:49:15 PM
Fierce light off the moon tonight.

Eclipse tonight/morning in the early hours. By all accounts, if there's no cloud cover, Ireland is one of the best places to view it from

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/12/calling-all-night-owls-and-moon-gazers-total-lunar-eclipse.html
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Main Street

The best places are further north and west of Ireland.
The moon is so bright now, the stars are all but invisible.

ziggysego

Mmmh, a warm bed or a night outside in -10 temperatures?

I think I'll go to bed. Night.
Testing Accessibility

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 21, 2010, 12:02:19 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 20, 2010, 11:49:15 PM
Fierce light off the moon tonight.

Eclipse tonight/morning in the early hours. By all accounts, if there's no cloud cover, Ireland is one of the best places to view it from

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/12/calling-all-night-owls-and-moon-gazers-total-lunar-eclipse.html

Any idea what time it starts at?

Main Street

About 3/4 eclipsed now. That was/is the brightest moon I have ever witnessed.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2010, 07:23:56 AM
About 3/4 eclipsed now. That was/is the brightest moon I have ever witnessed.

Lucky you, I'm looking at feckin snow clouds.  >:(

Main Street

The stars are glowing all over the sky now. She is eclipsed now but there is still a hint of a dim rusty orange sheen to her. Not quite a total eclipse?

gerry

Another chance to see it on the 15th june. Hopefully no fog then unlike this morning.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Main Street

StGallsGAA

QuoteThe stars are glowing all over the sky now. She is eclipsed now but there is still a hint of a dim rusty orange sheen to her. Not quite a total eclipse?

Yes it was a total eclipse.  When the earth's shadow totally eclipse the moon the sunlight bends around the earth's atmosphere making the moon orange and quite visible.

Glad I set the alarm to watch it now.  Deadly!

Olly

Happy birthday to Neptune. It is 1 today since it was invented.

It would take years to get there. Even if you put a baby in a rocket and sent it there with provisions like milk etc and it lived til 70 it would be long dead before it got there.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Goldengreen

http://www.donegalskies.com/#!vstc3=aurorawatch

QuoteAurora Alert: 21st Jannary

On 19th of January the sun blasted a coronal mass ejection (CME) towards Earth.  The CME is predicted to strike the Earths atmosphere on the 21st of January at 22.30(+/- 7 hours). The effect of this CME, will result in evaluated chances of northern lights displays above Ireland and the UK. Stay tuned to Spaceweather.comSoftservenews.com/aurora for elevated Kp values and keep an eye out for clear skies. Kp values of 6 or greater should result in aurora displays over Ireland and northern parts of the UK.

lawnseed

i'm heading up carrickatuke tonight. i'm reliably told that if i look north i'll see a black hole.. richill or portadown. :D sorry lads
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

southdown

Thinking of going to Iceland soon, is it any good for seeing the northern lights?