La Liga 2010/11 season

Started by ross4life, August 23, 2010, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Boycey on January 11, 2011, 07:10:20 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 11, 2011, 07:02:39 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 11, 2011, 02:30:51 PM
Not a fan of Andy Gray but I'm not sure thats exactly what he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gop7ZLIL-g&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for proving my point
My comment was tongue in cheek, I knew exactly what Gray had said, however to contend that La Liga is not as good as the PL is just crap, even Gerry Armstrong broke ranks with his fellow Brits on Sunday evening when he stated that the ball control and ability of even the lesser teams in La Liga was superior. I watch both leagues every week there is no comparison, yet British commentators insist on perpetrating this shite of the best league in the world. Take out the foreign players and its crap, just look at the English performance in the World Cup. But even the foreign players are battered into submission.

Boycey

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 12, 2011, 09:19:04 AM

My comment was tongue in cheek, I knew exactly what Gray had said, however to contend that La Liga is not as good as the PL is just crap, even Gerry Armstrong broke ranks with his fellow Brits on Sunday evening when he stated that the ball control and ability of even the lesser teams in La Liga was superior. I watch both leagues every week there is no comparison, yet British commentators insist on perpetrating this shite of the best league in the world. Take out the foreign players and its crap, just look at the English performance in the World Cup. But even the foreign players are battered into submission.

Just because there is one exceptional team and one very good one in La Liga doesn't naturally follow that its better than the Premier League. I don't think there is much argument that the technical ability of the players in La Liga is higher but there is more to football than that, Arsenal I reckon are the best ball playing team in England but they have consistently fallen short over the last number of years. I think what Gray was saying (and I can't believe I'm siding with him) is that the lesser lights in Spain just seem to accept their lot and let Barca/Madrid steamroller them, with the honourable exception of Hercules!!

Rossie11

Just because there is one exceptional team and one very good one in La Liga doesn't naturally follow that its better than the Premier League. I don't think there is much argument that the technical ability of the players in La Liga is higher but there is more to football than that, Arsenal I reckon are the best ball playing team in England but they have consistently fallen short over the last number of years. I think what Gray was saying (and I can't believe I'm siding with him) is that the lesser lights in Spain just seem to accept their lot and let Barca/Madrid steamroller them, with the honourable exception of Hercules!![/quote]

The facts dont back up that belief. They are as many hammerings in the PL as la Liga.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12087_6563395,00.html

These are the main points from it.
It's been six years since anyone other than Chelsea or Manchester United won the Premier League title? Arsenal were Champions in 2003-04, the same season that the La Liga title was won by Valencia
And what about this myth that the rest of the chasing pack are much closer to the leaders in the Premier League? In the six years since Arsenal were Champions, the gap between first place and sixth place in the Premier League has averaged 28.8 points. In Spain that gap between Champions and the European contenders averages 24.8 points.
The argument usually goes something like this: "Ah, but the teams down the bottom of La Liga are rubbish; there are no easy games in the Premier League!" Is that right?

The gap between first and last in the Premier League? 65 points on average - while in Spain, the average points gap between top and bottom is 56.6 points over the same six year period

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 12, 2011, 12:15:43 PM

Just because there is one exceptional team and one very good one in La Liga doesn't naturally follow that its better than the Premier League. I don't think there is much argument that the technical ability of the players in La Liga is higher but there is more to football than that, Arsenal I reckon are the best ball playing team in England but they have consistently fallen short over the last number of years. I think what Gray was saying (and I can't believe I'm siding with him) is that the lesser lights in Spain just seem to accept their lot and let Barca/Madrid steamroller them, with the honourable exception of Hercules!!

The facts dont back up that belief. They are as many hammerings in the PL as la Liga.

It's been six years since anyone other than Chelsea or Manchester United won the Premier League title? Arsenal were Champions in 2003-04, the same season that the La Liga title was won by Valencia
And what about this myth that the rest of the chasing pack are much closer to the leaders in the Premier League? In the six years since Arsenal were Champions, the gap between first place and sixth place in the Premier League has averaged 28.8 points. In Spain that gap between Champions and the European contenders averages 24.8 points.
The argument usually goes something like this: "Ah, but the teams down the bottom of La Liga are rubbish; there are no easy games in the Premier League!" Is that right?

The gap between first and last in the Premier League? 65 points on average - while in Spain, the average points gap between top and bottom is 56.6 points over the same six year period
[/quote]
Thanks Rossie I was basing my view on the quality of games but you can't beat the stats!

Boycey

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 12, 2011, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: Rossie11 on January 12, 2011, 12:15:43 PM

Thanks Rossie I was basing my view on the quality of games but you can't beat the stats!
[/quote]

I wasn't questioning the merits of La Liga against the Premier League just that I believe Gray, for once, had a point in what he was saying

ross4life

Understand what your saying but the bit in bold is not a good example? during the late 70s early 80s when the English league was at the best in Europe the England team was still crap! failing at major tournaments.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Barca 4-0 up in cup 3 from Messi, showing Arsenal how it's done (playing all the big hitters & winning the tie in the 1st leg)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 10:40:39 PM
Barca 4-0 up in cup 3 from Messi, showing Arsenal how it's done (playing all the big hitters & winning the tie in the 1st leg)

And not quite finished just yet by the looks of things. Betis keeper played a blinder but couldn't keep them at bay forever.

gallsman

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on January 12, 2011, 10:44:17 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 10:40:39 PM

And not quite finished just yet by the looks of things. Betis keeper played a blinder but couldn't keep them at bay forever.

5-0 over now?
Some game from keeper all right. 13 saves

Doogie Browser

Had cheeky fiver on 5-0 at 12s. Glad the ref played no injury time!

ross4life

Good nights work so Doogie, that's the 8th time Barca have scored 5 or more goals this season & 15th clean sheet.

Doogie Browser

Messi celebrated in style alright.

Applesisapples

Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 05:22:16 PM

Understand what your saying but the bit in bold is not a good example? during the late 70s early 80s when the English league was at the best in Europe the England team was still crap! failing at major tournaments.
I remember watching one of Liverpools European Cup Finals from the 80's, a while back, there was 1 English Player might have been Clements the others were Welsh Scots and Irish. But there is definitely a gap in ability between "British" players and the Continentals. I do accept that soccer allows a team to play a flat back 11 which even Barca or Real would struggle at times to break down in certain circumstances...That's why I prefer GAA the best teams win more often.

ross4life

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2011, 11:05:47 AM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2011, 05:22:16 PM

I remember watching one of Liverpools European Cup Finals from the 80's, a while back, there was 1 English Player might have been Clements the others were Welsh Scots and Irish. But there is definitely a gap in ability between "British" players and the Continentals. I do accept that soccer allows a team to play a flat back 11 which even Barca or Real would struggle at times to break down in certain circumstances...That's why I prefer GAA the best teams win more often.

Yes by the mid 80s Liverpool were Welsh Scots and Irish team. first team to start a Fa cup final without any English players in 1986,