La Liga 2010/11 season

Started by ross4life, August 23, 2010, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on December 05, 2010, 05:39:49 PM
Why top 5? Fifth doesn't get you into the Champions League. You edited your original post (like you do with every other post), most likely after checking the table and saw Valencia were fifth. Mental.

Figure of speech Minder top 5 instead of top 4! but as i already said they are one of the Champions league teams & more than likely will be again next season

What's mental is how you run off when a question is asked of you.

Edit*** can't believe i missed the bit in bold  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on December 05, 2010, 05:44:36 PM
He also failed to pick up on the irony of classifying Heinze as a top player.

Not me but Real Madrid.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

And just for Minder who doesn't see past Barca/Real in Spain.. Villarreal v Sevilla tonight who could arguably make up the top five I'm talking about.

new devil

Quote from: Minder on December 05, 2010, 05:39:49 PM
Why top 5? Fifth doesn't get you into the Champions League. You edited your original post (like you do with every other post), most likely after checking the table and saw Valencia were fifth. Mental.

Yeah a Liverpool fan would know that  :P

Applesisapples

Quote from: ross4life on December 03, 2010, 05:38:11 PM
Thats the thing about Barcelona defenders how good are they really? barca have on average 70% possession of the ball in games as result the defenders don't get tested as much as others!
Eureka...never thought of that one, don't give them the ball that way they can't score...well I never what genius. Your implication that Barca can't defend doesn't stand up, they defend from Villa back they work hard at ball retention and naturally the result is usually that they win.

Rossie11

The same argument can be thrown at Italian defenders. Can they all defend as well as we are led to believe?
They sit back with 2 holding midfielders in front of them and play very compact which hides many of their faults.
Remember world cup winners Zambrotta and Canavarro went to Spain in 2007 and were nothing spectacular.
Zambrotta especially had a tough time of it trying to cover the space whilst Canavarro started both the 4-0 and 6-2 hammering's to Liverpool and Barcelona.
I fully believe picking the worlds best back 4 and putting them onto the Barca team we would be having the same pointless discussions about Barca not able to defend.
Currently Barcas back 4 fit their system perfectly. They are winning in style and wont be changing that anytime soon (thankfully)

paco

Final three announced for Balon D'or, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I think it's the correct decision.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06122010/2/xavi-iniesta-messi-three-man-ballon-d-shortlist.html

clarshack

at the weekend i was told by a relative that bolton would finish in the top 4 of la liga if they played in spain. 

i thought they would have to have a few decent runs in europe first before being considered better than valencia, villareal, atletico madrid, sevilla etc

there seems to be this annoying myth that la liga (barcelona and real madrid aside) is now really poor. but surely the other teams are pretty much the same as they've always been. isnt it just that the top 2 are so good now that they make the others look bad?

if the epl is so strong overall then why havent the mid ranking epl teams made more of an impact in the uefa/europa cup?

paco

Quote from: clarshack on December 06, 2010, 01:41:20 PM
at the weekend i was told by a relative that bolton would finish in the top 4 of la liga if they played in spain. 

i thought they would have to have a few decent runs in europe first before being considered better than valencia, villareal, atletico madrid, sevilla etc

there seems to be this annoying myth that la liga (barcelona and real madrid aside) is now really poor. but surely the other teams are pretty much the same as they've always been. isnt it just that the top 2 are so good now that they make the others look bad?

if the epl is so strong overall then why havent the mid ranking epl teams made more of an impact in the uefa/europa cup?

That's what I always said. I'm fairly confident that if Barcelona and Real Madrid played in the EPL there would be just as much of a gap between them and the rest as there is in La Liga.

mountainboii

Quote from: clarshack on December 06, 2010, 01:41:20 PM

Well, no mark teams like Middlesborough and Fulham have made finals in recent years. But generally, the Europa League is about as reliable as the Carling Cup as a barometer of quality. Many Premier League teams don't give a shite about it.

ross4life

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2010, 11:45:26 AM
Quote from: ross4life on December 03, 2010, 05:38:11 PM
Thats the thing about Barcelona defenders how good are they really? barca have on average 70% possession of the ball in games as result the defenders don't get tested as much as others!
Eureka...never thought of that one, don't give them the ball that way they can't score...well I never what genius. Your implication that Barca can't defend doesn't stand up, they defend from Villa back they work hard at ball retention and naturally the result is usually that they win.

Where did i say they can't defend? & every successfull team works their asses off when they don't have the ball! the one difference is.... they have the two best possession midfielders in World football today.

ross4life

Quote from: paco on December 06, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
Final three announced for Balon D'or, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I think it's the correct decision.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06122010/2/xavi-iniesta-messi-three-man-ballon-d-shortlist.html

Rumour going around is Iniesta has won it? anyways Milan in 88 and 89 the last time the last time 3 players from the same club finished 1, 2 and 3rd

While i don't believe he's better than these three but the way this awards generally go i can't help feeling if the Netherlands won the World cup Wesley Sneijder would have won this award.

paco

Apparently so, the rumours are coming from the same people who got the final 3 right so it may be reliable enough. I still hope Xavi wins it though, Iniesta has plenty of time left and it would be recognition for Xavi, something he's been wrongly denied up until recent years.

David McKeown

Yeah I'd heard Iniesta has won it too. I'd have him last of those three. Someone pointed out to me today Sneijder hasn't scored from play for Inter for 13 months so maybe it's not a surprise that he didn't make the final three
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gallsman

Quote from: David McKeown on December 06, 2010, 07:57:37 PM
Yeah I'd heard Iniesta has won it too. I'd have him last of those three. Someone pointed out to me today Sneijder hasn't scored from play for Inter for 13 months so maybe it's not a surprise that he didn't make the final three

I don't think anyone could have complained if any three of the four in contention made the shortlist, but I personally feel the three who made it are the most deserving.

I love all three and think Iniesta and Xavi are two of the best players on th planet, but on a year by year basis I just can't find fault with Messi. People will continuously say he had a poor World Cup. He did in my hole, he was fantastic - just because he didn't score didn't make him poor. Just like in the Clasico.