Religion.

Started by cash4gold, March 03, 2010, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 20, 2016, 03:51:36 PM
People with a turn in their eyes. They haven't been evolved out yet. Strange thing that.

That reminds me of the playground attendant who was enjoying a rare moment of sunshine in the playground one afternoon when a young child running past accidently kicked and tripped on her outstretched legs.

"Look where you're going!" the attendant cried.

"Go where you're looking" said the fallen child.

I'm nearly sure I've told this story on here before.

That's all I have to say.

The quality of posts from Down have declined along with their team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DrinkingHarp

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41680187

A Londonderry priest has said he believes marriage should be an option for Catholic Church clergymen.
Fr Paddy O'Kane, of Holy Family Church in Ballymagroarty, said the move could help address the global shortage of Catholic priests.

A quarter of Catholic parishes worldwide now have no resident priest.
Fr O'Kane said the Church may have to "take another look at celibacy and women priests."
"Many priests might choose to be celibate, but for those who want to get married it should be an option," he said.

'Many times of loneliness'
Writing in Derry Now, he said the shortage of clergy is impacting on dioceses across Ireland.
"Priest-less parishes are appearing all over Ireland and may be here in this diocese before long," he added.
"This year the national seminary in Maynooth had only eight students entering to study for the priesthood. Half of these will probably leave during their training."
Fr O'Kane said his own celibacy had allowed him to live devoted to serving others but had come at a personal cost.

"There are times I miss having a family and there are many times of loneliness and there have been times I have only held on to my faith by a hair's breadth," he said.
Earlier this year Pope Francis said he may consider ordaining married men - under very specific circumstances - to counter the shortage of Catholic priests.
However he ruled out dropping celibacy as a requirement for the priesthood.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

T Fearon

Fr O'Kane was on BBC Radio Ulster yesterday.His comments were taken out of context.He said he had a very fulfilling life as a Priest,but sometimes he gets lonely,the same as everyone else,Priest and lay.

ONeill

Why are priests not allowed to marry? What's the theological argument there?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2017, 09:41:14 AM
Fr O'Kane was on BBC Radio Ulster yesterday.His comments were taken out of context.He said he had a very fulfilling life as a Priest,but sometimes he gets lonely,the same as everyone else,Priest and lay.
An incredibly appropriate and timely gospel this weekend at mass on this very point.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2017, 09:41:14 AM

Don't see how his comments were taken out of context.

This seems pretty straightforward:

"There are times I miss having a family and there are many times of loneliness and there have been times I have only held on to my faith by a hair's breadth,"

The celibacy requirement for Priests is archaic.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

T Fearon

He emphasised the term "There are times" and said he was not personally in favour of removing the celibacy rule himself,during his radio interview.

There are times we all feel disillusioned with things in our lives.He stressed this as well,and said he was no different.

theskull1

It would be humanising to see a post from you on the subject of your faith at a time when you feel disillusioned
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stew

Quote from: theskull1 on October 22, 2017, 09:33:11 AM
It would be humanising to see a post from you on the subject of your faith at a time when you feel disillusioned

What would you know about faith? You have none! Go write on a subject you know something about!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

People paying $450M for a painting is mad enough but it seems that somehow Leonardo DaVinci had a time machine and this Salvator Mundi (Saviour of the World) is a depiction of Jesus himself.

Turns out the current images we see of Jesus are based on one of the popes sons, (illegitimate) Cesare Borgia who the Pope of the time, Pope Alexander VI who wanted all artwork of jesus to be modelled on this son and that seems to have stood the test of time.

Always wondered how some things evolved and become factoids.

vallankumous

Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2017, 11:13:43 AM

People paying $450M for a painting is mad enough but it seems that somehow Leonardo DaVinci had a time machine and this Salvator Mundi (Saviour of the World) is a depiction of Jesus himself.

Turns out the current images we see of Jesus are based on one of the popes sons, (illegitimate) Cesare Borgia who the Pope of the time, Pope Alexander VI who wanted all artwork of jesus to be modelled on this son and that seems to have stood the test of time.

Always wondered how some things evolved and become factoids.

:)
I don't care if it's true, I want to believe it and I will believe it.

Captain Obvious

According to Sky news its the first time that all the churches in England are closed on Easter Sunday since King John fell out with the Pope 800 years ago.