?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on August 08, 2017, 10:57:51 PM
Good win tonight,against admittedly weak opposition, and great to see Anthony Ralston getting and making the most of a first team opportunity.

It would be wonderful and truly worthy of admiration and recognition, if the invincibles could remain invincible,domestically and in Europe for all of the calendar year,2017.That would truly put Brendan in the pantheon with Jock Stein and fast track him even to a statue at Celtic Park immediately.

I think it's on T! Surely you can see a chink in Madrids armour after tonight's game.. I'm surprised the board hasn't called you up for some sort of job at the club. Water carrier or boot boy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 09, 2017, 01:33:07 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40874570

Whatever is the world coming to?

Poor form alright.  I wonder is that the bar at the back of the main stand where a match ticket gains you entry.

illdecide

The Casuals at their work again, they leave their mark by slashing your face. I thought it was dying off but clearly not. That was a massive thing in late 80's and 90's, i was actually chased around Celtic Pk one Sat by the Hibs casuals on London Rd side. All i was doing was sitting on a grass bank eating chips with 4-5 lads and I was told to run by the fellas i was with, lucky they were to slow because i'm not fast (actually got closer to Celtic Pk and the backed off). The amount of fellas you see in Scotland that have deep scars on the sides of their face is unreal in Scotland.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

MoChara

Quote from: illdecide on August 10, 2017, 09:15:42 AM
The Casuals at their work again, they leave their mark by slashing your face. I thought it was dying off but clearly not. That was a massive thing in late 80's and 90's, i was actually chased around Celtic Pk one Sat by the Hibs casuals on London Rd side. All i was doing was sitting on a grass bank eating chips with 4-5 lads and I was told to run by the fellas i was with, lucky they were to slow because i'm not fast (actually got closer to Celtic Pk and the backed off). The amount of fellas you see in Scotland that have deep scars on the sides of their face is unreal in Scotland.

Look at Tommy Flanagan the Scottish fella out of Sons Of Anarchy and braveheart he got slashed outside a night club.

T Fearon

Not known to happen in the Hospitality Suites all the same.Will have to watch myself up there in future.

Meanwhile I'm seeing Brendan Rodgers in a whole new perspective as I read the recently published book on his first season at Celtic.The effort,work,ability to get people to buy into his philosophy,and ability to remain calm under pressure are all definitely worthy of admiration

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2017, 12:40:50 PM
Not known to happen in the Hospitality Suites all the same.Will have to watch myself up there in future.

Meanwhile I'm seeing Brendan Rodgers in a whole new perspective as I read the recently published book on his first season at Celtic.The effort,work,ability to get people to buy into his philosophy,and ability to remain calm under pressure are all definitely worthy of admiration
Somebody bring me a chair!!!

Franko

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2017, 12:40:50 PM

Still left the wife for a young thing though.

playwiththewind1st

"We apologise for the interruption. Normal service will be resumed, shortly".

T Fearon

Don't get me wrong,I thought the Invincibles thing was way over the top,given the modesty of the domestic opposition,and the achievement was entitled to be nothing much more than expected from a manager earning three times as much as his predecessor,and with full control over player recruitment and disposal,and in the choice of backroom staff (again Ronny enjoyed none of this). But the book does make clear his intelligence,his insistence on extremely high standards,his planning ability,and his ability to improve players,and not panic,as well as an encyclopaediac memory.All admirable qualities and worthy of credit

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2017, 05:57:26 PM
Don't get me wrong,I thought the Invincibles thing was way over the top,given the modesty of the domestic opposition,and the achievement was entitled to be nothing much more than expected from a manager earning three times as much as his predecessor,and with full control over player recruitment and disposal,and in the choice of backroom staff (again Ronny enjoyed none of this). But the book does make clear his intelligence,his insistence on extremely high standards,his planning ability,and his ability to improve players,and not panic,as well as an encyclopaediac memory.All admirable qualities and worthy of credit

Modesty of opponent doesnt change the fact that it was a great achievement even on the basis of not being complacent etc
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

yellowcard

I think Rodgers undoubtedly has a certain smugness bordering on arrogance. He is not alone in having that, many of the top managers are the same. That said, I think he is an excellent coach and plays the game the right way. Tactically is where I think his weakness lies, which sometimes surfaces in big one off cup ties. I hope that changes this season and he can get the team into the group stages, be competitive and at least try and challenge for a Europa League spot. Just some small sign of progress in European terms. The higher the co-efficient is then the higher the seeding will be for the following season, the easier the draw becomes etc etc.   

ned

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 06:21:35 PM
I think Rodgers undoubtedly has a certain smugness bordering on arrogance. He is not alone in having that, many of the top managers are the same. That said, I think he is an excellent coach and plays the game the right way. Tactically is where I think his weakness lies, which sometimes surfaces in big one off cup ties. I hope that changes this season and he can get the team into the group stages, be competitive and at least try and challenge for a Europa League spot. Just some small sign of progress in European terms. The higher the co-efficient is then the higher the seeding will be for the following season, the easier the draw becomes etc etc.

Not sure about your comments regarding his tactical weakness. Several times last year he changed tactics mid game or earlier because things weren't going well. I think he sees the game very clearly and acts quickly to remedy problems. Also think you are confusing smugness with confidence. Arrogant is not how I would describe him either, in fact I would say he is relatively modest. Mourihno is arrogant i.e. he is good, knows it and flaunts it.

T Fearon

To succeed at that level,you have to have total belief in yourself.Big Jock had it,the book makes it clear Rodgers has it.It is another admirable quality.But I don't think either were/are arrogant.I'm sure they both have/had sleepless nights,and felt extreme pressure.

yellowcard

Quote from: ned on August 10, 2017, 06:39:04 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 06:21:35 PM

Not sure about your comments regarding his tactical weakness. Several times last year he changed tactics mid game or earlier because things weren't going well. I think he sees the game very clearly and acts quickly to remedy problems. Also think you are confusing smugness with confidence. Arrogant is not how I would describe him either, in fact I would say he is relatively modest. Mourihno is arrogant i.e. he is good, knows it and flaunts it.

Relatively modest? No, I'm not having that. I do agree though that the top managers need to have an absolute belief in their own ability otherwise they wouldn't be in the job for too long. Rodgers had a very poor European record when with Liverpool and whilst I thought he had a good European campaign last year with Celtic (Barca 7-0 defeat apart), I still think that he has a weakness in these big games in trying to go toe to toe with superior opponents when it would be more prudent to sit back knowing that he isn't playing the same SPL cannon fodder that he comes up against most weeks. I would love to see this change this season if they can get into the group stages and collect 7/8 points and outperform their probable 4th seeding. He has more experience this season and I think he needs to put more of a focus on the European games rather than the SPL.