Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I am not sure the exact symptoms of compartment syndrome. A boy I know pretty well thought he had it for about two years then never had any treatment and still ran, though a bit more sporadically for a while, and is now running 32 odd minutes for a 10k. That's really my only reference point for it.

There is an operation for it. I'm sure you've looked at it - it doesn't look overly pleasant I'm afraid. :(

To be honest it's outside the remit of my knowledge but I hope you get sorted. I know only too well about running injuries and how frustrating they can be.

macdanger2

I've picked up an injury playing tennis and I'm not sure if it's a groin injury (I have the typical symptoms i.e. struggling to sprint, pain down my groin) or a hernia of some sort (pain at the inside of my pelvic bone and sore when I cough/sneeze) or some combination of the two.

Anyway, who should I go to for a diagnosis? Doctor? Physio? Or a sports injury clinic?

johnnycool

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 30, 2019, 11:43:39 AM
I've picked up an injury playing tennis and I'm not sure if it's a groin injury (I have the typical symptoms i.e. struggling to sprint, pain down my groin) or a hernia of some sort (pain at the inside of my pelvic bone and sore when I cough/sneeze) or some combination of the two.

Anyway, who should I go to for a diagnosis? Doctor? Physio? Or a sports injury clinic?

No need for any of those, it's a Gilmores groin.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.   ;D

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on May 30, 2019, 01:44:42 PM

It's the internet JC. We're all experts in every field ;D

Walter Cronc

Been getting back into the running with a few 10k then the dreaded hip flexor injury. Any advice? I'll admit to not being the best at stretching pre/post run.

macdanger2

Had a look online and that sounds like what I have alright. What's the best treatment for it?

johnnycool

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 30, 2019, 02:13:55 PM

Had a look online and that sounds like what I have alright. What's the best treatment for it?

A big gel pack stuck in the freezer every day..........

No, seriously I had to get one operated on up in the Ulster Clinic where a mesh of some sort was sown into me to strengthen whatever sheath of muscle it was I'd torn.

Feckin sore for a few days.

ballinaman

MRI to confirm structural damage of abdominal wall/conjoint tendon...if large puncture , mesh surgically put in place + rehab x 10-12 weeks.. If no puncture, rehab x 10-12 weeks

ballinaman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 30, 2019, 02:06:35 PM
Been getting back into the running with a few 10k then the dreaded hip flexor injury. Any advice? I'll admit to not being the best at stretching pre/post run.
Majority of running injuries caused by training error...too much too soon and not enough of a gradual adaption to load.
Minimal weak if any evidence that stretching is protective against injury....evidence points to load adaption, sleep, nutrition etc higher up the hierarchical scale....stretching doesn't do any harm but shouldn't be a priority over the above.

macdanger2

Quote from: ballinaman on May 31, 2019, 12:03:52 PM

MRI to confirm structural damage of abdominal wall/conjoint tendon...if large puncture , mesh surgically put in place + rehab x 10-12 weeks.. If no puncture, rehab x 10-12 weeks

Cheers BM

FermGael

Any one any recommendations for a gps watch for keeping an eye on split times ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

laoislad

Quote from: FermGael on June 04, 2019, 11:55:23 AM
Just bought the new Garmin Forerunner 245. Previously had the 235. The 245 is a great watch as was the 235 to be fair.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2019, 12:21:59 PM
Just bought the new Garmin Forerunner 245. Previously had the 235. The 245 is a great watch as was the 235 to be fair.

Is there much of a difference or what added features does the 245 offer? Have the 235 myself and love it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 04, 2019, 01:17:01 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2019, 12:21:59 PM

Is there much of a difference or what added features does the 245 offer? Have the 235 myself and love it.
There are plenty of new features and metrics and stuff on the 245, not sure how many I'll actually pay attention too but I broke my 235 so needed a new watch so opted to stay with the Garmin brand.
The HR sensor is supposed to be better and the Vo2 max estimates are supposed to be more accurate and they have included metrics like stress and training load. Like I said I probably won't use half the stuff but the gps seems pretty spot on as does the HR to be fair which I often thought was a bit dodgy on the 235. They have a music version of the 245 also that allows you to put 500 songs onto the watch but I didn't go for that one.
It doubles up as a smartwatch also so you get notifications on the watch. Battery life is very good.
It also measures something called pulse ox which I knew nothing about, but reading up about it apparently you should be in a range of 95% or above...I have been consistently at 90-92% since I got it and it went as low as 83% one night. I dunno does that mean I'm fcuked or what... :-X
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

A watch won't make you run better, but knock yourself out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea