Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Under Lights on August 10, 2017, 04:43:06 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 09, 2017, 10:31:24 AM
Any recommendations for a family holiday (young) within Ireland?

Going to Wexford, Amber Springs Hotel, have young kids 4 and 2. Hearing excellent reports about it so hopefully all goes well.

Nice....hope its a good one....

BennyCake

Booked Killarney for a week.

Plan to do the Ring and Dingle Peninsula. Done both before, but keen to do again. Other than those, anyone recommend something else in the Killarney area to do/see?

Also, anything to see off the M7/8 on the way down, where you could visit and help break up the journey?

AZOffaly

Rock of Cashel off the M8

Rois

Quote from: BennyCake on August 13, 2017, 07:26:12 PM

Plan to do the Ring and Dingle Peninsula. Done both before, but keen to do again. Other than those, anyone recommend something else in the Killarney area to do/see?

Also, anything to see off the M7/8 on the way down, where you could visit and help break up the journey?
Kildare Village  ;D

We climbed Carrauntoohill on Easter Sunday - give that a go.  Bloody challenging. 

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2017, 08:03:01 PM
Rock of Cashel off the M8

Oh yes, that's on the list  ;)

BennyCake

Quote from: Rois on August 13, 2017, 08:35:35 PM

Kildare Village  ;D

We climbed Carrauntoohill on Easter Sunday - give that a go.  Bloody challenging.

Think I'll give the Village a miss  ;D

Met a woman from Kerry when climbing Croagh Patrick, and she had climbed Carrantuohill a few times. SHe said it wasn't as steep or as challenging as CP. Takes a bit longer, but very doable if you can manage CP.

Rois

Quote from: BennyCake on August 13, 2017, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 13, 2017, 08:35:35 PM

Kildare Village  ;D

Think I'll give the Village a miss  ;D

Met a woman from Kerry when climbing Croagh Patrick, and she had climbed Carrantuohill a few times. SHe said it wasn't as steep or as challenging as CP. Takes a bit longer, but very doable if you can manage CP.
Well I just didn't enjoy it - had to keep watching my feet.  In saying that, OH's mission on day hikes is always to beat the recommended time by a couple of hours, so I get little rest. 
The Devil's Ladder ascent is some craic - just don't look down.  Anyway - good to climb Ireland's highest peak.
If you want a nice relaxing morning or afternoon to yourself, and if you're not already staying there, you can book into Aghadoe Heights spa circuit - really really nice.

AZOffaly

Muckross House is nice for a stroll around Killarney as well, especially if the weather is dry.

http://www.muckross-house.ie/

If you're doing the Ring of Kerry, take the Ferry over to Valentia. Afterwards, if you are heading Cahirciveen - Sneem direction, you can take a turn into the right and go through the Glen, and Finians Bay. Lovely views of the Skelligs.

Actually the Skelligs would be worth a visit, but I've never been there myself, and I started going down to Cahirciveen in 1991!!

Waterville Craft Shop has a little dress up area that's free, with Star Wars Costumes and the like, and you can take selfies etc, the Kids love it. If you are doing the ring, and stopping off for a coffee or something, that would entertain for a small while.

BenDover

Visit Kate Kearneys cottage for a bite to eat then drive up the Gap through the Black Valley and up to Moll's Gap.
Beaches - Inch, Glenboig White Strand outside Seems.
Dingle for the day
Mucross, Torc Waterfall beside each other. Take a trip on the jaunting cars from here or from town to Ross castle for a boat trip.
Hire a bike n get lost in the park.
Bring a coat  :)

AZOffaly

Glanleam beach on Valentia Island is lovely.  A little secluded cove, lovely place. Also Reenroe and Ballinskelligs beaches between Cahirciveen and Waterville are lovely.

Tony Baloney

Is Killarney still the gouging session of old, set up to prey on American tourists?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2017, 01:03:05 PM
Is Killarney still the gouging session of old, set up to prey on American tourists?

I doubt it's any dearer than Dublin, but yes, they like their Yanks alright.

5 Sams

Quote from: BenDover on August 14, 2017, 12:04:32 PM

Visit Kate Kearneys cottage for a bite to eat then drive up the Gap through the Black Valley and up to Moll's Gap.
Dingle for the day
Mucross, Torc Waterfall beside each other. Take a trip on the jaunting cars from here or from town to Ross castle for a boat trip.

...and a lot of money :(
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Quote from: BenDover on August 14, 2017, 12:04:32 PM

Dingle for the day

Is it Moll's Gap the one you see with the jaunting cars? Did I hear correctly cars are banned from certain areas of the National Park, and you have to go by bike or foot?

BenDover

No not Moll's Gap, it'd be the Gap of Dunloe with the haunting cars. There steep enough tbh but the kids love it. Used to be a rule cars couldn't drive the gap until after 6pm but that seems to be ignored now. No cars at all allowed in the park foot or bike only