The Iceman

Quote from: giveherlong on July 22, 2017, 09:09:21 PM
Looking for a house for the first week of august in Donegal
Left it late I know!
Somewhere close enough to the beach and bar/restaurant but not overly important
Any help much appreciated!
http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/beachhouse
I've stayed in several of her rental homes - worth a try
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rois

For anyone who has been to Havana, Cuba, any recommendations for private day tours out of the city? Places to go or companies to go with? Only really have a morning and early afternoon. Cheesy city tour booked for the day before in vintage car.

STREET FIGHTER

Any recommendations for a family holiday (young) within Ireland?

BenDover

How young? We've recently split a week between Castlebar (Breaffy House) and Waterford (Treacy's Hotel) our boys are 8, 4 and 1. Breaffy House is very good for kids - kids club, evening entertainment, football pitch, mini golf, swimming pool on site and not far from Westport, Achill Island etc for a day trip out. Our stay in Waterford was spent mostly in Tramore (fun fair, amusements and the beach) sure what more could ye ask for.
We're for Killarney this weekend, there's loads to do down there. Thankfully this time we're staying in a house and the boys will be shifted out the back in the evenings, a hotel room is hard going when the kids are constantly niggling each other.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: BenDover on August 10, 2017, 08:40:23 AM
How young? We've recently split a week between Castlebar (Breaffy House) and Waterford (Treacy's Hotel) our boys are 8, 4 and 1. Breaffy House is very good for kids - kids club, evening entertainment, football pitch, mini golf, swimming pool on site and not far from Westport, Achill Island etc for a day trip out. Our stay in Waterford was spent mostly in Tramore (fun fair, amusements and the beach) sure what more could ye ask for.
We're for Killarney this weekend, there's loads to do down there. Thankfully this time we're staying in a house and the boys will be shifted out the back in the evenings, a hotel room is hard going when the kids are constantly niggling each other.

Thanks for that....slightly younger than your squad...must take a look.....

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on August 08, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
For anyone who has been to Havana, Cuba, any recommendations for private day tours out of the city? Places to go or companies to go with? Only really have a morning and early afternoon. Cheesy city tour booked for the day before in vintage car.

Rois, wouldn't really say there's a "day trip" you could do as the major places that are relatively close like Viñales need a bit longer both in terms of travel and in experiencing.

We travelled round the western half of the island and began and finished in Havana. One day we did an organised tour but most of the others we just explored and let ourselves get lost in the place. It's magnificent.

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on August 10, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 08, 2017, 10:50:34 PM

Rois, wouldn't really say there's a "day trip" you could do as the major places that are relatively close like Viñales need a bit longer both in terms of travel and in experiencing.

We travelled round the western half of the island and began and finished in Havana. One day we did an organised tour but most of the others we just explored and let ourselves get lost in the place. It's magnificent.
Thanks.  We're travelling through the US and are trying to satisfy the requirements (that I understand aren't really strictly enforced, going by lots of travel forums), but would like to have paper evidence that we're showing "support for the Cuban people", hence wanting to book tours.  OH is ok with just doing what you suggest, we'll have one day of a tour and the other day(s) just dander about.  I'll have my trusty Lonely Planet guide with me.  Found what looks like an interesting Hemmingway tour that takes you out of the city, but himself isn't that bothered about it. 
Looking fwd to a Mojito at the Hotel Nacional!

gallsman

Hotel Nacional is ok for one or two, to see the peacocks but pricy by Cuban standards. The Floridita is the Hemingway bar that charges similar prices and is famed for its daiquiris. I'd do both for a laugh but you'll have a far better time getting some beer and rum (you can drink Legendario straight from the bottle, it's that sweet) and walking down the Malecón, especially at night. Cubans live their lives outside and the noise and bustle is great.

Don't know if you've booked your accommodation yet but staying in a casa particular rather than one of the hotels might be a good way of "showing support for the Cuban people".

Also get a "Cold Chocolate" from the Museo de Chocolate in the old town!

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on August 10, 2017, 04:10:01 PM

Don't know if you've booked your accommodation yet but staying in a casa particular rather than one of the hotels might be a good way of "showing support for the Cuban people".
See that sounds good to me but not to OH.  Think AirBnB are also an acceptable way to stay.  We are actually doing a Carribbean cruise for a week that starts in Havana and is docked there for two nights.  That probably flouts all US embargo rules on the thing as no doubt the cruise liner pays the Cuban govt something to dock there. 

Under Lights

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 09, 2017, 10:31:24 AM
Any recommendations for a family holiday (young) within Ireland?

Going to Wexford, Amber Springs Hotel, have young kids 4 and 2. Hearing excellent reports about it so hopefully all goes well.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Rois on August 10, 2017, 04:14:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 10, 2017, 04:10:01 PM

See that sounds good to me but not to OH.  Think AirBnB are also an acceptable way to stay.  We are actually doing a Carribbean cruise for a week that starts in Havana and is docked there for two nights.  That probably flouts all US embargo rules on the thing as no doubt the cruise liner pays the Cuban govt something to dock there.

The same boy wanted to go to an American football match and land up to a stranger's car and ate their tailgating food. No way Jose. Not in my world. Sure ye wouldn't know what the standard of their dishcloths would be like back at home!!

Minus15

looking at Westport for a family holiday before summer is out. Kids are 2 and 4 months. Anyone any views?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Minus15 on August 11, 2017, 05:44:04 PM
looking at Westport for a family holiday before summer is out. Kids are 2 and 4 months. Anyone any views?

How did you manage kids at 2 and 4 months?  Multiple wives I suppose?

Minus15

There was me hoping for some useful feedback.  ;D

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Minus15 on August 11, 2017, 06:02:35 PM
There was me hoping for some useful feedback.  ;D

Now, that was probably being a bit optimistic.