The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

It was a good show tonight for a change alright.
I enjoyed the Rod Stewart section.I didn't think he did a great job of singing Grace though imo,or of Maggie May for that matter
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on March 15, 2019, 11:40:18 PM
Great show tonight, Rod Stewart singing Grace and emotional re 1916 and even name checking internment , so poignant given the Bloody Sunday fiasco this week.
Though revisionists and apologists try to underestimate the historical significance of 1916 and the anglo-Irish war, this was an extremely proud moment in our history as a nation , it's ironic that it was  emotionally recognised even by a knighted cockney tonight, fair play Rod.
The parents of the 1916 generation survived the famine, and at that time there was an environment which quite frankly had enough of imperialist bullying. They stood up to an empire and history showed that the British , as always in these circumstances, didn't play by the rules . That same ( we've had enough) mentality engendered the civil rights movement of 50 years ago, and we see now 50 years later that the British still are not playing by the rules, they've ignored the GFA, they're still manipulating and dodging a bullet in Bloody Sunday . Irish history has shown that things happen in cycles I've no doubt that Ireland will once again say enough is enough ! Time for the end game , united ireland and finally wave goodbye to Britain's ignominious involvemrment in this country .
What's the plan then for the 1 million or so British people in Ulster?

GJL

Quote from: michaelg on March 16, 2019, 09:21:16 AM
Great show tonight, Rod Stewart singing Grace and emotional re 1916 and even name checking internment , so poignant given the Bloody Sunday fiasco this week.
Though revisionists and apologists try to underestimate the historical significance of 1916 and the anglo-Irish war, this was an extremely proud moment in our history as a nation , it's ironic that it was  emotionally recognised even by a knighted cockney tonight, fair play Rod.
The parents of the 1916 generation survived the famine, and at that time there was an environment which quite frankly had enough of imperialist bullying. They stood up to an empire and history showed that the British , as always in these circumstances, didn't play by the rules . That same ( we've had enough) mentality engendered the civil rights movement of 50 years ago, and we see now 50 years later that the British still are not playing by the rules, they've ignored the GFA, they're still manipulating and dodging a bullet in Bloody Sunday . Irish history has shown that things happen in cycles I've no doubt that Ireland will once again say enough is enough ! Time for the end game , united ireland and finally wave goodbye to Britain's ignominious involvemrment in this country .

They are welcome to stay in Ireland if they wish.

mrdeeds

Quote from: laoislad on March 16, 2019, 06:42:12 AM
I enjoyed the Rod Stewart section.I didn't think he did a great job of singing Grace though imo,or of Maggie May for that matter

Well he is in his 70s.

Rossfan

There'll be no change for those who live in the Cavan/Dpnegal/Monaghan part of it anyway.
The 800k in the other 6 Cos. - check the GFA. The entitlement to British, Irish or both citizenships/ pasdports/nationalities remains.
Mind you if the Scots go Independent first....???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Boycey

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2019, 09:56:35 AM
There'll be no change for those who live in the Cavan/Dpnegal/Monaghan part of it anyway.
The 800k in the other 6 Cos. - check the GFA. The entitlement to British, Irish or both citizenships/ pasdports/nationalities remains.

We have British people living in Monaghan  :o

straightred

Sir Rod..... indeed.

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 16, 2019, 09:36:21 AM

Well he is in his 70s.
74 and had to recover his voice after a throat cancer operation.
He still plays football.

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2019, 09:56:35 AM
No flies round you.

illdecide

Enjoyed the LLS last night (channel hopping tbh) but hit it perfect timing when Rod was on. Jasus complaining about his voice...he was put on the spot a bit, no warm up or his usual band and live. What did u expect?.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

laoislad

Oh looks like I upset all the Celtic fans. ;D
He murdered a classic song. Might have been better not singing it at all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: illdecide on March 16, 2019, 12:48:01 PM
Enjoyed the LLS last night (channel hopping tbh) but hit it perfect timing when Rod was on. Jasus complaining about his voice...he was put on the spot a bit, no warm up or his usual band and live. What did u expect?.
There's no need to excuse  how you happened upon Rod on the LLS  :) There are fellahs here who watch the LLS avidly, week after week  and come on here whining after each episode. You'd think their mood would be lighter, probably not smart enough to subtly negotiate a bit of quality nookie time as compensation for sitting with her throughout the show.

BennyCake

Rod got real emotional when presented with the poetry book. Amazing to think with all his fame and wealth, that it's something like that which seemed to really mean a lot.

Just out of interest, does Rod have any links with Ireland?

Over the Bar

Quote from: laoislad on March 16, 2019, 12:52:56 PM
Oh looks like I upset all the Celtic fans. ;D
He murdered a classic song. Might have been better not singing it at all.

Thankfully he only murdered a song...

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on March 16, 2019, 11:25:01 PM
Rod got real emotional when presented with the poetry book. Amazing to think with all his fame and wealth, that it's something like that which seemed to really mean a lot.

Just out of interest, does Rod have any links with Ireland?
Irish heart.

What's fame and wealth got to do with it?