Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: tippabu on December 10, 2018, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 10, 2018, 12:22:26 PM

Is it not apparent to everyone that none of these proposals - least of all the handpass restriction - are going to discourage packing defences? Quite the opposite.

It's crazy, I can confirm I'm not from Ulster, a saddist, manager or whoever else is against it apparently. It's funny to see some of these sweeping statements when it's clear no thought to the concequesnces of these. I've put out there multiple times in detail why I think these won't work so won't again. Like you I feel this will only encourage and reward the mass defence mentality and tactic. One of the worst things though, this is being trialed in the league and we've no idea how it will go, league is too important to try these out in.

If these turn out to be a huge success and we get great games I will be the 1st to hold my hands up and say I was wrong

The thing is, it may lead to a few high scoring games in the league and the GAA PR machine will hail it a success, even though there will probably be as many turgid affairs as before. Even if we do have a temporary boost in scoring or excitement or whatever the feck it is we are after, if the rules become permanent then because we have gaping inequality in the whole system between counties, managers will still try to find a way to make their teams competitive. Ultimately that will be by trying to restrict what the opposition score. These rule changes, alongside no attempt whatsoever to address the fixtures, structures and funding issues, are utterly pointless and amount to nothing more than shifting the chair around on the Titanic.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Whatever we want or don't want or would like to see - the new proposals are what  they are.
Let's see what happens in practice and what happens at the CC meeting on January.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Was speaking to a few refs the other night at a schools game, and they aint refereeing when the rules change cause they will get torured even more during the games! Will be crazy for a few games thats for sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2018, 02:45:38 PM
Was speaking to a few refs the other night at a schools game, and they aint refereeing when the rules change cause they will get torured even more during the games! Will be crazy for a few games thats for sure
Marty Duffy might make a comeback

tippabu

Are the new rules being implemented in McKenna cup, o Byrne cup and so on? If so how are people finding them early on?

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2018, 11:24:44 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/niall-moyna-sounds-the-death-knell-for-gaelic-football-1.3736080?mode=amp

funny that that story comes out the day Gaelic games over took soccer as numb 1 sport,
those number just don't add up and , and from what ive seen of moyna hes genuine  not just trying to be controversial and sell a book or something
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

Is it not apparent to everyone that none of these proposals - least of all the handpass restriction - are going to discourage packing defences? Quite the opposite.

It's crazy, I can confirm I'm not from Ulster, a saddist, manager or whoever else is against it apparently. It's funny to see some of these sweeping statements when it's clear no thought to the concequesnces of these. I've put out there multiple times in detail why I think these won't work so won't again. Like you I feel this will only encourage and reward the mass defence mentality and tactic. One of the worst things though, this is being trialed in the league and we've no idea how it will go, league is too important to try these out in.

If these turn out to be a huge success and we get great games I will be the 1st to hold my hands up and say I was wrong

Well at least they are trying . Unfortunately up North they don;t want to try anything that might improve the game as a spectacle.

This conversation is required as the game has become redundant as a spectator sport.

This may not be the answer but at least we are having the debate.

For me a rule should be brought in that you must have 6 players in the opposition half of the field at all times. People say it's not enforceable . It is as the linesmen are perfectly placed to see it and do largely f*** all anyway except run up the line

Bring it at county level first where the manpower is . Club football largely apes the county game anyway

tippabu

Quote from: Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack on December 21, 2018, 01:36:59 AM

Well at least they are trying . Unfortunately up North they don;t want to try anything that might improve the game as a spectacle.

This conversation is required as the game has become redundant as a spectator sport.

This may not be the answer but at least we are having the debate.

For me a rule should be brought in that you must have 6 players in the opposition half of the field at all times. People say it's not enforceable . It is as the linesmen are perfectly placed to see it and do largely f*** all anyway except run up the line

Bring it at county level first where the manpower is . Club football largely apes the county game anyway

Trying yes but my fear is they only looked at this in a way that is positive and failed to consider the negative impacts and it's the negative impacts I think will make these rules a massive failure.

On keeping 6 in each half of the pitch, it's not enforcement I would be against, it's the stopping of the attacking wingbacks being allowed come forward and stopping of defenders joining the attack. It would I'm sure make for a more open game but I still feel the likes of carlow, fermanagh etc who have had recent success based on a solid defensive structure I would like to see these teams still be able implement these

I've put forward all of my opinions on why I would love to see 13 a side trialled (And not in a competition as important as the league) so I won't go through it all again

Itchy

Nope. I think 3 handpass rule, while a bit crude, will encourage teams to push up on the opposition and force them into a mistake.

Rossfan

I read some reports recently the Kildare are exploiting the new attacking mark by kicking everything to a flying Jimmy Hyland who's marking and kicking points for fun.
Mightn't find it so easy in Summer though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Itchy on December 21, 2018, 11:54:38 AM

Nope. I think 3 handpass rule, while a bit crude, will encourage teams to push up on the opposition and force them into a mistake.

In a perfect world but do you really see intercounty mentality changing....I still think at the end of the day, most teams will still go defensive, contain and prevent to opposition from scoring over high press and leaving yourself vulnerable to a break at the back if you fail to turn over

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2018, 12:30:16 PM
I read some reports recently the Kildare are exploiting the new attacking mark by kicking everything to a flying Jimmy Hyland who's marking and kicking points for fun.

Heard from a few games the mark is effective but it's almost too effective in that its too much a game of frees now where people are happier to try a free kick that keeping the ball moving and game flowing. I've not seen a game with the new rules yet so can't fully comment but that's what I've heard.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on December 21, 2018, 03:04:21 PM

Heard from a few games the mark is effective but it's almost too effective in that its too much a game of frees now where people are happier to try a free kick that keeping the ball moving and game flowing. I've not seen a game with the new rules yet so can't fully comment but that's what I've heard.

Just had a quick look at the scores from the 2018 O'Bryne Cup group stages compared to 2019 O'Bryne Cup group stages.

Under the old rules a total of 33-322 was scored in 14 games -  a total of 431 points for an average of 30.78 ppg

In the 8 group games played so far for 2019, a total of 12-163 was scored - a total of 199 for an average of 24.875 ppg

It's not the biggest sample size but 6 points less per game mean that at this stage the rules look to be headed towards failure.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 21, 2018, 04:41:46 PM
Quote from: tippabu on December 21, 2018, 03:04:21 PM

Just had a quick look at the scores from the 2018 O'Bryne Cup group stages compared to 2019 O'Bryne Cup group stages.

Under the old rules a total of 33-322 was scored in 14 games -  a total of 431 points for an average of 30.78 ppg

In the 8 group games played so far for 2019, a total of 12-163 was scored - a total of 199 for an average of 24.875 ppg

It's not the biggest sample size but 6 points less per game mean that at this stage the rules look to be headed towards failure.

Any chance of the experimental hand pass rule getting scrapped before the commencement of the NFL?