Fawning over Mayo

Started by TheGreatest, July 03, 2018, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: screenexile on July 05, 2018, 10:23:25 AM
Kieran Shannon reckons Mayo would have a few more All Irelands were it not for bad refereeing calls . . .

I think his previous involvement with Mayo under the Horan regime should lead people to take his opinions on this group of Mayo players with a very large pinch of salt, he's simply been too close to too many of them to be unbiased enough for some of the arguments he is trying to make.

trailer

Kieran Shannon reckons Mayo would have a few more All Irelands were it not for bad refereeing calls . . .

In recent memory, Cillian O'Connor missed 2 very scoreable frees in 2 AIs.
Your man getting sent off rightly in the last AI after having a rush of blood.

There's 3 incidents that have nothing to do with referees. I feel for the Mayo players but the reason they didn't win is because they weren't good enough.

Blowitupref

Boats and ships on his mind maybe he has a cruise holiday coming up?

No Passengers on the Mayo panel he reckons yet some of fringe players he was talking up are very much passengers

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jayop

Mayo have been brilliant for the last few years and rightly are getting plaudits. I think the obituaries are premature anyway as well. Still a very good team but they are being badly managed imo.

To say they've been unlucky with referees is bollox though. They've had as much luck as bad luck in many games they won.

Syferus

Quote from: Jayop on July 05, 2018, 01:09:35 PM
Mayo have been brilliant for the last few years and rightly are getting plaudits. I think the obituaries are premature anyway as well. Still a very good team but they are being badly managed imo.

To say they've been unlucky with referees is bollox though. They've had as much luck as bad luck in many games they won.

And again, the obituaries are not premature. Even people in Mayo realise this year was the end of the chase for this code group. However long if takes them to build another team and if some of the younger panel members are still there when that happens is matterless to that fact.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 01:20:44 PM

And again, the obituaries are not premature. Even people in Mayo realise this year was the end of the chase for this code group. However long if takes them to build another team and if some of the younger panel members are still there when that happens is matterless to that fact.

12 posts on this thread of 6 pages.
4 posts on Ros v Armagh thread of 9 pages.

Are you sure you know where you're from at all?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

omagh_gael

Mayo have been in a position to put it up to Dublin due to their solidity at the back, ability to go man for man and still have the lungs to push up the field and take scores. Sadly, from the outside looking in, this year has shown that that solidity and dynamism from the rear guard is starting to falter. Not wanting to pick on individuals but this can be seen in a player like Boyle who was no where near his high standards this year. Even during the league.

Still think you should have had your AI in 2016 when the Dublin player (John Small?) clearly picked the ball off the ground following CoC's equaliser.

From the Bunker

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 05, 2018, 02:13:17 PM
Mayo have been in a position to put it up to Dublin due to their solidity at the back, ability to go man for man and still have the lungs to push up the field and take scores. Sadly, from the outside looking in, this year has shown that that solidity and dynamism from the rear guard is starting to falter. Not wanting to pick on individuals but this can be seen in a player like Boyle who was no where near his high standards this year. Even during the league.

Still think you should have had your AI in 2016 when the Dublin player (John Small?) clearly picked the ball off the ground following CoC's equaliser.

Yes, referee bottled it! In fairness it's hard for a referee to give big decisions against Dublin in Croke Park!

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 05, 2018, 01:34:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 01:20:44 PM

12 posts on this thread of 6 pages.
4 posts on Ros v Armagh thread of 9 pages.

Are you sure you know where you're from at all?

We haven't even announced a team yet.

Well done on derailing the thread to take a shot at someone, though, upholding GAABoard's oldest tradition.

omagh_gael

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2018, 02:17:50 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 05, 2018, 02:13:17 PM

Yes, referee bottled it! In fairness it's hard for a referee to give big decisions against Dublin in Croke Park!

One of the most blatant pick up off the grounds I've seen! Being a Tyrone man I'm still slightly sensitive when it comes to refs blowing these fouls after our injustice v Dublin in 1995!  :o

TheGreatest

So every loss Mayo suffered to Dublin was down to poor refereeing.  Heard it all now.

I remember replay 2015 Mayo were 4 points up at 55 minutes and lost by 7 points, I suppose that was down to the referee.

Mayo have got an easy ride of the media and referees all through out this decade, got away with some serious on field violence and still couldn't get over the line.

Crete Boom

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 05, 2018, 02:45:27 PM
So every loss Mayo suffered to Dublin was down to poor refereeing.  Heard it all now.

I remember replay 2015 Mayo were 4 points up at 55 minutes and lost by 7 points, I suppose that was down to the referee.

Mayo have got an easy ride of the media and referees all through out this decade, got away with some serious on field violence and still couldn't get over the line.

Did your man from Mayo tell you this during your half time break in the financial game?seriously though if you think Mayo are any dirtier or more cynical than Dublin or get an easier ride from referees or in the media than Dublin you are deluded!!
But I will humour you though, give me ten specific examples of where Mayo have gotten an easier ride than Dublin by a referee, the media and on field violence they have gotten away with.

Blowitupref

They became a good team because they were well managed IMO. 2010 when they were beaten by Longford,Sligo another management coming in would have got rid of most of the players that started in those games and started again but not James Horan and Co as they knew if those players were better managed they could become in Horan's own words consistently competitive. The real jewel in Horans management was Donie Buckley and Mayo managing to keep him on after Horan left played a huge role in keeping them consistently competitive as seen with the back to back AI Ireland finals and pushing Dublin to the pin of their collar.

What happened this year however was combination of injuries and wear and tear catching up with this group of Mayo players. It remains to be seen where they go from here maybe the break will be their advantage but given the age and mileage on the clock of a lot of their core players a transition period is expected.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 05, 2018, 03:30:27 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 05, 2018, 02:45:27 PM

Did your man from Mayo tell you this during your half time break in the financial game?seriously though if you think Mayo are any dirtier or more cynical than Dublin or get an easier ride from referees or in the media than Dublin you are deluded!!
But I will humour you though, give me ten specific examples of where Mayo have gotten an easier ride than Dublin by a referee, the media and on field violence they have gotten away with.

how many elbows had Cillian O'Connor delivered before he finally picked up a red v galway.  Too many to mention individually, but when he did finally get sent off all you hear is that it was out of character for him!! 

larryin89

I get the narrative it's coming near the end for maybe three or  four players but wtf is this obituary stuff .  Mayo are always capable of winning connacht  for a start .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .