Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2018, 08:19:24 AM
Kildare have painted themselves into a corner and cannot back down. What could change things is a player revolt. If they come out and say they'll play in CP. Cian O'Neill would be nothing more than a zombie manager at that stage.
The best result Kildare can hope for is that Mayo are given a walk over. They're a beaten docket regardless if the game goes ahead in Newbridge or not.

Thanks for your input.

I'll be sure to let Cian and the Kildare players know.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 27, 2018, 08:29:06 AM
Quote from: ardtole on June 27, 2018, 08:01:59 AM
Is there a provision for putting it back to Sunday.

Round of Junior championship games in Mayo on Sunday.
And your point is?

Kildare deserve the game at home
They broke no rules
The Mayo CB could have sorted this with a simple 'we'll see you in newbridge' message.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2018, 08:40:24 AM

And your point is?

They broke no rules
The Mayo CB could have sorted this with a simple 'we'll see you in newbridge' message.

Mayo have broken no rules either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2018, 08:40:24 AM

And your point is?

They broke no rules

Mayo put alot of effort into the all Ireland championship. They are planning from before Christmas. Do you really think they should throw away another year because of something that really is nothing to do with them??

seafoid

Kildare have painted themselves into a corner and cannot back down. What could change things is a player revolt. If they come out and say they'll play in CP. Cian O'Neill would be nothing more than a zombie manager at that stage.
The best result Kildare can hope for is that Mayo are given a walk over. They're a beaten docket regardless if the game goes ahead in Newbridge or not.
That is very Tyrone.
It is also deluded.

dublin7

You don't seriously think the Kildare board & manager took this stand without consulting the players. That's the kind of statement I'd expect from the GAA officials this week as they seem to be totally out of touch with the ordinary GAA fan.

Home advantage makes a difference in every sport. There's a reason Man Utd for example play all their home games in Manchester rather than Wembley even though they could get bigger crowds in Wembley.

Taylor

With the planned announcement from Kildare yesterday being cancelled it would allude to some discussions going on in the background.

CP will be looking to offer €€€ to KCB to get Newbridge revamped. Will they take it??

Maroon Manc

So it was Nicky Brennan's turn last night on OFB, 'I haven't looked at the rule book but I know the GAA are in the right'

They'd do well to keep to keep their mouths shut going forward. Sean Kelly too yesterday morning completely missing the point when stating additional payments to Kildare would solve the problem.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 27, 2018, 09:01:04 AM
So it was Nicky Brennan's turn last night on OFB, 'I haven't looked at the rule book but I know the GAA are in the right'

They'd do well to keep to keep their mouths shut going forward. Sean Kelly too yesterday morning completely missing the point when stating additional payments to Kildare would solve the problem.
Nicky Brennan is a joke. If Kilkenny were aggrieved back in the Cody pomp and the GAA fobbed them off with that's the why /H&S, Brennan  would be livid.

manfromdelmonte

Someone should have asked Nickey about Kilkenny football

Redhand Santa

Quote from: highorlow on June 27, 2018, 07:55:04 AM
I'll spend me money on the RWC next year.

No integrity left in our games anymore at inter county level.

This fiasco is about €'s, not the sport. At least rugby is a bit transparent on the money side of things.

Go and look at the ireland, New Zealand or England team sheets and the players place of birth and come back about integrity of sport.

At least the money made by the gaa will be reinvested in the sport including the redevelopment of newbridge and coaches etc.

I do believe this game should be in Kildare but the reaction is totally over the top. Kildare county board getting of lightly given they don't have a ground fit enough to hold big games given amount they've spent on outside managers. The gaa have always tried to maximise attendances and to me that should always be a priority. Looking at the results home advantage isn't as big a factor as is being made out. Croke Park is also one of the best stadiums in Europe, 45 minutes from Kildare and they've played there plenty so it shouldn't be that big a disadvantage.

tonto1888

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2018, 09:14:46 AM

This fiasco is about €'s, not the sport. At least rugby is a bit transparent on the money side of things.

Go and look at the ireland, New Zealand or England team sheets and the players place of birth and come back about integrity of sport.

At least the money made by the gaa will be reinvested in the sport including the redevelopment of newbridge and coaches etc.

I do believe this game should be in Kildare but the reaction is totally over the top. Kildare county board getting of lightly given they don't have a ground fit enough to hold big games given amount they've spent on outside managers. The gaa have always tried to maximise attendances and to me that should always be a priority. Looking at the results home advantage isn't as big a factor as is being made out. Croke Park is also one of the best stadiums in Europe, 45 minutes from Kildare and they've played there plenty so it shouldn't be that big a disadvantage.

They shouldn't have a disadvantage at all regarding the venue

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on June 27, 2018, 08:26:04 AM

Enjoy your Saffas, Kiwis etc in the team of us.

From the county starting a Roscommon forward and a Sligo midfielder this has to go down as a bit of a clanger of a reposte, spuds.

seafoid

None of this would have happened if Aidan O Shea hadn't spent so much time signing autographs. Mayo wouldn't even be in qfs. Kildare would have drawn Clare and Newbridge would have been grand even at 5.15 in parallel with the derby.

Applesisapples

If you take the emotion out of it, hard to do I accept, the GAA decided Newbridge could not host the game on health and safety grounds, with an all ticket capacity of C.8,000. Mayo take somewhere in the region of 10,000 fans with them which means that 60% of their fans can't be accommodated.The potential for a sizeable number to turn up with out tickets is there. Kildare were asked to nominate an alternative venue, as Cavan did with Brewster Park but like the spoilt brat refused to do so. Irrespective of TV rights county teams would be nowhere without the fans and the GAA is right to try and ensure as many as possible see the game. If Kildare had drawn Clare there wouldn't have been an issue but Mayo travel in numbers. at this stage of the qualifiers I don't think the luck of the draw should determine where a game is played, in my opinion. Any GAA player should feel privileged to get to play in Croke Park and as top billing as well in front of Tyrone/Cavan!